+-

Author Topic: Deciding what to do...  (Read 179 times)

YetiKing

Deciding what to do...
« on: September 16, 2021, 02:37:39 AM »
Need some type of surgery for my hip - osteoarthritis w/ pain increasing and decreasing range of motion.  57 yo active male (former marathon/IM) - stopped running ~18 months ago and miss it, still like tennis, pickleball, golf, snowboarding, cycling...  Saw Dr Brooks PA at Cleveland Clinic and am considered good candidate.  Saw hip doc at OSU that is non-surgical and they said some things that were counter to my research to date... said not ideal candidate as space in my joint in limited and that my range of motion would be less than with a total replacement.  Seeing a traditional hip replacement doc in a couple of weeks and will then make a decision.  Looking for any counsel/advice from people that have been in my shoes.  Thx.

PalmettoGolfer

Re: Deciding what to do...
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 03:30:10 PM »
"as space in my joint in limited" = shallow?

If so, Dr. Gross did mine and I have shallow hips.  Doesn't mean it will work for you, but it can be done.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor nor do I play one on TV, so I could be WAY off base   ;D

Saddlepal3

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 04:38:37 PM »
Dr. Brooks is very experienced. I would tell him what the OSU doc said and see how he responds. You can also send images to Dr. Pritchett and Dr. Gross for their opinions. I have no doubt that the traditional hip replacement guy will insist his approach is better, more reliable, etc. I have both a resurfaced hip and a total hip replacement. The only permanent restrictions I have are due to the THR due to possible dislocation risk. I cannot feel any difference in either hip; they both work fine.

bluedevilsadvocate

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 04:56:19 PM »
I had left hip BHR surgery with Dr. Brooks 11 years ago, and since then I have often told people that my left hip is the best joint in my body. Behind my house is a steep slope (maybe 45 degrees) on which I periodically use a string trimmer, and I never have any problem with --- or even second thoughts about --- my BHR hip.
LBHR 10-20-2010
Dr. Brooks - Cleveland Clinic
Age 62 at time of surgery

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 09:52:24 PM »
Agree with the other replies, particularly about listening to the THR guy.  Surgeons who do not do resurfacing often (always?) advise against it, and the studies they cite are not even based upon failures of resurfacing.  If you do a deep dive into all the articles on this website, and also on Dr. Gross' website, you'll know more than the other surgeons about survivorship, failure rates and their causes, etc.  And is it really surprising that the non-surgical doctor told your you're not a candidate?  Most folks here I've followed get pretty much all range of motion back if they work at it.  Maybe not 100%, but pretty darn close. 

One of the main benefits (amongst many) of the resurfacing is that IF you need a revision someday, you still have all your bone to work with.  If you go THR now then a future revision is much more difficult and risky. 

Dr. Brooks did my brother's hip (he lives in a Cleveland suburb), and Dr. Gross did mine as he is about a 3 hour drive from me.  However, I prefer Dr. Gross' procedure because he uses a bone-ingrowth femoral component instead of cement.  This appealed to me, as it is possible (though low risk) for cement to fail.  But Dr. Brooks' track record is pretty awesome as well.

Good luck with your decision.  Deciding on my first one was hard.  Second one.......easy.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats