+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pre-op list? Women slip on shoes?  (Read 475 times)

gray horse

Pre-op list? Women slip on shoes?
« on: October 05, 2021, 09:40:35 PM »
Please direct me to ideas to get set-up for surgery.

Any suggestions on slip on shoes?

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
Re: Pre-op list? Women slip on shoes?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 10:50:19 AM »
Hi Gray Horse.

There are several threads on this topic, but I was unable to find one easily.

As far as the slip-ons go, they're all ugly, so pick the ones that are easiest to slide on and off and are comfortable.

1.  Do you have a recliner?  If not, see if you can get one.

2.  I used the Polar ice machine, which was awesome.  Otherwise, have a lot of ice-packs at the ready.  You'll want your hip to be on ice (on and off) pretty much all day for a few weeks.

3.  Get a raised toilet seat.  A must have.

4. Crutches or a walker, and a cane for later once you no longer need the crutches/walker.

5.  A grabber.  When you need to pick something up off the floor, this is handy.

6.  A sock aid.  Not sure what you call it, but helps you put your socks on.

Also, make sure there are no tripping hazards around.

Others will chime in, I'm sure.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

jimbone

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 01:49:53 PM »
I'd suggest the Hip Surgery Recovery package on Amazon- get the one that has all the utensils- sock thing, long shoe horn, couple of grabbers, sponge on a stick.  A double thumbs up on the recliner- even better to find a powered recliner- I used it after my second procedure and it made a big difference.  First 3-5 nights being able to sleep in it comfortably and on my back relieves one of getting in and out of bed which I found challenging from the 1st surgery for at least a week.  The recliner eliminated that hurdle.  Also makes an easy place to take a nap w/out hassle which I found myself wanting to do the first couple of weeks.  Just found the least expensive loafers that would fit and be comfortable as I had no intention of enlisting them into long term attire.  Was able to transition to sneakers pretty much full time by week 6 using various strategies to getting them tied, and finally re-acquiring normal shoe lace [and toe-nail cutting ability] around week 12.  That might sound like a long time but truthfully I was having so much fun learning how to walk and move again without pain it was more like a long looked for vacation adventure.  Best of luck.

catfriend

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 02:27:05 PM »
Around the house I liked to wear slipper socks to keep my feet warm. Not the ugly ones they give you at the hospital, but cute ones you can find at Macy's, Amazon, etc. Just make sure they have non skid pads on the bottom. You can easily put these on with the sock putter onner thing from the deluxe hip-knee replacement kit you must buy. Easier than regular slippers for the first several days. Rather than buy new slip on shoes (although I'm always happy to have a new excuse to buy more shoes) I suggest buying bungee shoelaces for your preferred athletic shoes. This will allow you to get them on with your long handled shoehorn, and they'll come off easily as well. Again, make sure the bottoms of your shoes are non skid, especially with the rainy season upon us. You'll feel fragile those first days to weeks, and non skid soles will help you feel more secure.

Think about what you use most often around your house. Do you have pets? Do you have to reach down for their food? Or other items you frequently use? You won't be able to do that right after surgery, so make sure things that use regularly are where you can grab them. If that means your kitchen counters are covered with stuff that you would normally keep below, so be it.

Get individual portions of snack foods and drinks that you can keep near you either in your recliner or in bed. Do you live alone? Think about what you might want to eat. Have some meals prepared and ready to pop in the microwave. You won't be up to standing around and cooking a big meal, so have some basic things ready. Even if it's just a jar of peanut butter and loaf of bread you'll want something you can grab without thinking about it.

Clarkefan

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2021, 09:22:19 AM »
An often overlooked purchase is a set of crutches in advance. Have them adjusted. Test if they need additional cushion. Practice moving about so you're confident before being down one leg for a while. You can also bring them to the hospital so you have a set you're comfortable using and you don't have to pay hospital prices.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 09:22:57 AM by Clarkefan »

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat