+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Dr. Domb hip resurfacing (Chicago)  (Read 811 times)

gabesuto

Dr. Domb hip resurfacing (Chicago)
« on: December 03, 2021, 12:50:44 PM »
Hello all,

I am very close to scheduling a hip resurfacing with Dr. Domb of the American Hip Institute in Chicago.  I was referred to as the perfect candidate and would much rather have a resurfacing as opposed to a THR. 

Does anyone have any information that they would be willing to share about their experience with Dr. Domb resurfacing their hips??

Thanks in advance,
                           Gabe

AG

Re: Dr. Domb hip resurfacing (Chicago)
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2021, 05:46:48 PM »
Hi I’m in Indiana, and as I was doing research I found Dr. Dome as he was the closet proximity wise to me.  But as I continued to do more research I couldn’t find much about how many HR surgeries he has done.  His office could only tell me that he does “alot of hip surgeries.”  They couldn’t really tell me how many HR procedures he has done. As you probably know, you want a surgeon who has done a lot of these surgeries.  I ended up going to Dr. Gross in South Carolina.  I’m 12 days post op and I’m really happy with Dr. Gross and his team even though it was a 9 hour drive away.  I would encourage you to do as much research as possible as the surgeon is of upmost importance in the success and outcome of this intricate surgery.  I did my surgery at an out patient facility and it was seamless.  I wish you the best in your journey to get better. 

gabesuto

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2021, 10:40:08 AM »
Thanks for the reply! I sent you a private message

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2021, 05:25:15 PM »
Hey there.

I agree with AG that you want a surgeon who has done a LOT of these.  Dr. Gross did both of mine - 10 years ago and 1 year ago.  He's the BEST and has over 6000 under his belt.  People go from all over the country and world to him.

That said, if travel distance is a factor, Dr. Peter Brooks at the Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland, OH is one of the top in the country.

If you want to give Dr. Domb the benefit of the doubt, ask him if he can share his data with you.  How many RESURFACINGS (not just "hip surgeries", which will include THR), survival rate at a) 5 years and b) 10 years.  How many revisions and for what reasons.  If he won't share his data, don't bother with him.  Dr. Gross has all that available for you and has written many scientific publications on the subject.

Go to www.grossortho.com where he has a TON of information available.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

LarryBud

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2021, 07:14:47 AM »
A close friend of mine has had both hips done  ( BHR ) by two different local surgeons.  He switched for the second so he could have the " anterior " approach offered by surgeon #2.  He is happy with both hips.

I visited with surgeon #2 and he shared with me he does " a few " each year and I would be a candidate.  He is a board certified Orthopedic Surgeon and has been trained in BHR.  It's very likely I would have had an excellent outcome just as my friend did.

However, I have the resources to go wherever I wish.  I chose Dr. Gross because he does 50 a month and I believe he's over 8000 with the current Biomet Hip.  Much of his data is published in solid, peer reviewed, medical journals.

I could have a bad outcome with Dr. Gross and the surgeon who " dabbles " could provide a great outcome but.... I feel I stacked the odds in my favor.  That's how I looked at it anyway.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat