+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Sensation of warmth at times upon running.  (Read 1181 times)

autoazure

• Prof Meek, Glasgow, 09/10/19, 58mm 52mm head
Sensation of warmth at times upon running.
« on: January 08, 2022, 02:49:16 PM »
I run about 55 miles per week subsequent to my resurfacing more than 2 years' ago. Ofter I have the sensation of warmth in my hip, anyone else experienced this?

jimbone

Re: Sensation of warmth at times upon running.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 10:54:04 PM »
Recent ion check?  Neither a runner or BHR recipient but I'd be talking with my surgeon.

Minniemuis

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 01:59:19 AM »
This came up when we had a consultation with Dr Desmet a few months ago. We asked advice for my husband regarding an MoM resurfacing. As he still ran at high level, the possible outcome for running after the surgery was discussed. Dr Desmet told us that basically there are no restrictions after a resurfacing surgery, but in practice, running turned out to be almost the only activity that they have less positive outcomes. He said that some (not all) patients reports issues, which he thought were caused by the device warming up due to the repetitive movement. (at least, this is how I understood). He hoped that this would not be an issue with the ceramic resurfacing.

I have been keeping an eye out for runners with the CoC, but since the device is not yet officially approved, I have not found many. I know of a female triathlete in Sweden, but apart from her, not many competitive runners. If you know any, please let me know.

autoazure

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 04:07:53 PM »
Thank you for your reply. I looked at some research that concludes that a temperature increase of up to 6 degrees Celsius has been recorded in some studies relating to a metal on metal resurfacing during exercise. This is rather concerning as it may lead to damage of the surrounding tissue. I have a theory that the warm sensation I sometimes experience (no too often) is due to nerve reaction. I sometimes feel a warm sensation in the front of my shin. I would appreciate more information on such as I do not want to reduce my running mileage.

Minniemuis

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2022, 01:39:22 AM »
@autoazure Is this still a problem for you? How bothersome is it?

autoazure

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2022, 03:58:47 PM »
Hi, just noticed your query. I am still experiencing slight warmth and discomfort. 2 weeks ago, I had to limp the final 2 miles of a 10 mile race due to pain in the joint. I have taken in very easy recently and the hip is settling down. I thought about the situation and actually had similiar experiences prior to my resurfacing. I wonder if indeed I have a senstive tendon/sciatic nerve due to the original OA, and despite my highly successful resurfacing, it remains prone to inflammation when subjected to race level exertion. For me equating to sub 8 minute miles or 7.30 for 10K. The reason I believe this may be the problem is the fact that the front of my shin sometimes feels numb. I have an annual checkup on the 28th of June with my Consultant and will inform him of the situation. I am 65 years old and run 55 miles per week (relatively slowly) so it may all be age related weakness of soft tissues. Thanks for asking and all the best to you from Scotland!

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2022, 04:36:09 PM »
I was trying to find my old post on this.  I was not a competitive runner, but probably ran 3-4 miles, two or three times per week.   After surgery and the six month recovery, I tried again.  Invariably, a deep ache would set in somewhere between 1/2 mile and 3/4 mile.  If I tried to push through it, I would be limping for a few days. 

I went to PT until I didn't want to afford it anymore, with no change.  Dr. Gross indicated that this happens in some small, but not insignificant, percentage of patients.  So, I accepted it and did other things.  The odd thing is that I could do an hour-long HIIT class, with squatting, box jumps, etc, with no pain.  But a steady job would set it off.

Flash forward about 7 years.....I join a boot camp gym.  Keep in mind that prior to resurfacing the extent of my lower-body workout was running.  In boot camp, it was a constant lower-body blast.  Squats, lunges, wall sits, sled pushing, box jumps, and on and on.  Never had I ever worked my legs/glutes so much.  Then a group of us started adding a run to the end of the class.  We ran a mile and I had NO issues.  So, on a weekend I went for a run.  I made it 2 1/2 miles before I started noticing my hip.

So, I think that some muscle deep inside there was traumatized from the surgery enough to stop doing it's job, and the boot-camp workouts seemed to have woken it up.  At least somewhat.

I know this doesn't answer the first question, but perhaps helps with some of the replies.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat