+-

Author Topic: Are there other Surface Hippy Bikers!  (Read 9051 times)

takilasunrise

Are there other Surface Hippy Bikers!
« on: August 12, 2008, 11:27:13 PM »
Thanks for using my suggestion, Pat!

Last year my husband and I went on a trip back east from WI to Ocean City, MD on our Harley Davidson bagger.  I was only able to go on this trip because the day before I got a "cortisone" shot in my hip (I know they don't use cortisone anymore, but I don't remember the official name).  And because the pain from the shot was pretty bad for the first 24 hours, I also got a prescription of Vicodin.  I made the ride with my hip as it was, but I knew then I had to get something done if I wanted to continue to enjoy our rides.

I had my hip resurfacing done on Jan. 22, 2008.  Probably went on my first short ride in April.  We then took another trip on the bike out west this time.  We drove from WI to Yellowstone National Park in WY and MT.  The trip went great!  No hip problems except for the cold.  The cold, when on the bike, still bothers my hip.  We were out there the first week of June and there was still lots of snow in the higher elevations.  Crossing Wyoming in the evening was very chilly and that's when I realized my hip doesn't like the cold!  I think it's because my muscles are tensing up from being cold and that causes the aching.  I made sure I layered up after that (long underwear, jeans and rain pants to cut the wind) and I did fine.  It was an awesome experience!  Especially when we drove through the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone and had to stop for the buffalo to cross.  They were like 5-6 feet away from us!  I was a little nervous just because they were all moms with their babies.  And we didn't have the protection of a vehicle surrounding us.  But they went on their merry way.  I know we had quite a few funny and curious looks from other tourists when they saw us on the bike with the 30+ degree weather and snow on the ground!  But, we also saw others on their motorcycles, so we weren't the only crazy ones out there! 

Anyway, I was very glad that I was able to go on our motorcycle trip at 4+ months post op!  I still don't get off the bike very gracefully, but at least I can do it! 

I also ride my 250cc Scooter to and from work most days. 

This surgery was a blessing and I am so grateful I went through with it!  Now and again, I will have a weird little pain in my hip area if I turn my leg funny or if I worked a little too hard out in the garden the day before.  My funny walk is at a minimum now, too.  And I'm not always stiff after I stand up from sitting awhile.  Somedays I still get stiff, but they are getting less all the time. 

I felt this category should be added because, let's face it, you need to have working hips to get on and off the bike!  It is something my husband and I enjoy doing together and I was getting very depressed when my hip was interfering with our time together! 

I'd like to hear from any other "bikers" out there, before or after your resurfacing!

« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 06:55:11 PM by Pat Walter »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Are there other Surface Hippy Bikers!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 01:45:40 AM »
Hi

I have read posts on the Yahoo group about other bikers. l Hopefully we will have a few join our group.

I gave you your own topic since it is important.

I hope you find many more bikers!

Good luck. Ride on!

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

sheptr

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 07:41:29 PM »
I am almost 10 weeks post LBHR and getting around fabulously.  I often forget I had the resurfacing.  While cleaning out the garage on a beautiful sunny 55 degree Sunday afternoon (yesterday), I threw the battery charger on my motorbike and continued cleaning.  Once I had straightened up what I needed to, I poked the starter and the bike roared to life after a long cold winter.  I rolled it into the driveway to let it run a bit and catch some sunlight to warm it's bones.  Jockeyed some more stuff around, and enjoyed the rumbling thunder as the bike settled into a nice idle.  Next thing I knew I had grabbed a helmet and was tooling up the road, amazed that I felt like I was riding a brand new bike.  So comfortable, I wondered if someone had replaced my beaten, old (21 years) rat bike with a new one, when I realized it was my new hip and the lack of pain that had me grinning ear to ear.  I rode maybe 20-25 minutes to get the cobwebs out and fuel up, and headed home pretty darn happy.  Looks like I found an old friend back better than new! 

Todd
LBHR, 12/31/09 Dr. Su
LBHR - 12/31/2009 - Dr. Su

jack

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 10:39:31 PM »
I'm 55 and rode up until the day before my surgery. It hurt some but not enough to keep me off of it. I have been riding since age 14 or so so that's like 40 years. It was a bit over 4 weeks after surgery that I started riding again. Wasn't long at all in the grand scheme of things.

Today at a touch over 9 weeks post-op I can ride all day and not even think about the new hip. Most things in my day to day life are the same..... not much thought about the hip. I do have to try to remember as I am still limited in impact activities and do not want to break anything. My doc said that I have to have x-rays and be cleared before running and other such impact activities at 6-12 months range.
Right BHR by Dr. Clarke  5-19-10

My BHR Story

pblythswood

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 03:13:07 PM »
Hi,

I'm now three and a half weeks post op and a surface hippy biker !

For 18 years I road raced motorbikes in the British championships and Isle Of man TT. ( link attached if you've never seen the TT, a pure road race ) and survived although pretty certain that this contributed to the deterioration of my right hip as most circuits are clockwise so the majority of my race crashes were on my right side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHT6S-7ZPuc

Never actually officially retired but stopped racing around 1995 and started riding a TMAX auto scooter on the road as after all that racing never ever wanted to change gear again !

Still did the occasional track day but had to stop riding sports bike around 2 years ago as the restriction of my right hip caused to much pain to get on one and move around properly, so hopefully within a few weeks I can get back out there again, pain free.

Great reading the posts to see how other people have got on, but nice to see a few bikers here so well done on getting the topic started.

Regards
Paul

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 05:33:24 AM »
Paul, You raced the Isle of Mann TT for 18 years ?  Well now that your hip is fixed maybe next you can gt your head examined :o.  Haha just kidding, I am more of a dirt bike guy but I love watching the TT on tv. This year the coverage was incredible with the high def cameras, bike mounted cameras, helicopter shots and ultra slow motion shots, awesome, period. I bet you have some good stories about that circuit.
Before my surgery I had to stand on one peg and climb on my bike like a horse because there was no way my leg would go over the back fender, mine was my right leg and I could not pick it up onto the kickstarter so I would lift my leg up to the kickstarter with my hand, and had trouble turning right because I couldn't lift my right leg off the peg.  This last weekend I went to the desert and went through 2 tanks of gas doing everything from wide open sandwashes to 1st gear technical hill and cliff climbs.  I hardly even noticed I have a fake ball joint for a hip. I can swing my leg over the fender easily, raise it up and kickstart it without even thinking about it. I'm confident you'll be out for more track days in the near future and hanging off and moving all around just like you want to.  I am a little worried about crashing and smashing the ground on that side, but I've had a couple washouts and a trip over the bars with it and so far so good, Good luck and hope your riding again soon, Bill.

PS What is a TMAX auto scooter ? Never heard of that one here in the states before 8)

pblythswood

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 09:03:14 PM »
Hi Bill, glad to see your out there riding again and by the looks of it having a ball, in fact way to much fun to me !!!

Can't wait but as it appears no one has yet invented a pill to relief the boredom while we wait for our hips to recover so I've just got to sit it out until the surgeon says ok.

Now back to the racing, I did 6 visits to the IOM, I rode 3 manx grand prix's ( amateurs only ) and 3 TT's open to all riders once you have the required International license and do the qualifying time, I survived one crash in 1988 and did my fastest lap of 110mph in 1989, which was fast in 1989 but pretty tame now 20 years on.

I've attached a link for the Tmax, it's a 500 twin scooter, cruises around 80mph fully loaded 2 up. My wife and I toured Southern Italy on it last year, just under 4000 miles in 2 weeks, great fun.

http://scootercommunity.com.au/forums/storage/255/97328/tmax.jpg

look after that hip but by the sounds of it you've given it a good test with a trip over the bars so I think thats as good a test as anything, keep having fun.

Regards
Paul

chris finn

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 07:09:59 PM »
Hi all from rainy/cold England

..new to the site. Had my left hip resurfaced in Dec 2010. I ride a 1200 Bandit...well not at the moment obviously  ;) ;D .....infact its the two crashes I have had that have almost certainly wrecked my hip ( according to my surgeon) ....anyway..missing my bike.... the missus wants me to get rid of it in the spring ( we are still in discussion about that  >:( )
BIRMINGHAM RESURFACE, LEFT HIP, 9TH DEC 2010,BY MR A. NORRISH...CONSULTANT-SURGEON, ADDENBROOKE`S HOSPITAL...CAMBRIDGE UK

larry2458

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 09:18:48 AM »
Hi all from rainy/cold England

..new to the site. Had my left hip resurfaced in Dec 2010. I ride a 1200 Bandit...well not at the moment obviously  ;) ;D .....infact its the two crashes I have had that have almost certainly wrecked my hip ( according to my surgeon) ....anyway..missing my bike.... the missus wants me to get rid of it in the spring ( we are still in discussion about that  >:( )
::)i think it was my last off that helped wreck my hip.that was in 2000 and by 2005 i couldn't get on the bike anymore
lbmh 16th october 2008

crowejim

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 04:31:18 PM »
I own a 2005 Kawasaki Concours and a 2001 Kawasaki 1500 Drifter.

The Concours is essentially a 1000cc Ninja with a larger windshield, removable hard bags, and a much more comfortable seat. However, the riding position is still sportbike ergonomics with the legs scrunched up and the rider leaned forward over the tank. Two summers ago, it got very difficult to put my right leg down at a stop light and it was difficult to walk after dismounting. This was the beginning of my hip symptoms. I was unable to ride at all last summer and didn't even get the bikes out of storage.

I had a BHR procedure on 2/3/11 and the recovery is going great. I am certainly looking forward to riding again this spring!

Jim

Recent Posts

Re: A Fantastic Surgery Experience by imgetinold
Yesterday at 04:20:40 PM

Re: Dr. Pritchard - week November 1, by imgetinold
Yesterday at 04:18:37 PM

Re: viruses, and resurfacing by imgetinold
Yesterday at 04:17:26 PM

Re: viruses, and resurfacing by zippymon213
October 26, 2021, 01:21:55 AM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal