+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: SWELLING & REFERRED PAIN  (Read 1795 times)

jmgray

SWELLING & REFERRED PAIN
« on: October 13, 2008, 07:01:11 PM »

I was resurfaced a week ago by Dr. Griedanus in
Vancouver, and have 2 questions right now.

1) The thigh above the knee is like an overstuffed
sausage that has been pounded by a steak hammer.
Come within 3 inches and I yelp.  This is the only
thing holding me back in post-op exercises.  Any
insights welcome.

2) The post-op exercises themselves: in Canada
everything seems directed at a THP, as though
the bureaucracy hasn't caught up with whatever
distinctions might exist.  Again, insights welcome.

Thank you,

John MacLachlan Gray

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: SWELLING & REFERRED PAIN
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 07:12:47 PM »
Hi John

I am sorry to hear about your swelling.  Has you doctor suggested using ice on your thigh?  Many people use ice on their hips and any place else that is swollen and sore.  That is a standard treatment.

Are you taking any pain meds?  You might need to make sure you stay on your meds until the tenderness is gone.  I know we don't like to keep taking meds, but if you have pain you should try to take enough meds to keep it under control.

Here are several pages that show the typical post op exercises that are done

http://www.surfacehippy.info/exercisesearly.php

http://www.surfacehippy.info/exercisesmcminn.php

You should make sure you ask your doctor what he suggest you do.  Don't just do what other people do.  Each doctor has his own recovery protocol.

I do hope your swelling goes down soon.  Have you talked to your doctor about it?  I am not a doctor, but I would think this sounds serious enough that you should get some input from the doctor.  Sometimes a few people have had blood clots, but I don't remember them being in the thigh above their knees.  Again, talking to your doctor would be best.

We will be here to give you support since most of us have had hip resurfacing, but we are not doctors.  Any time a problem seems to be severe, you should always ask your doctor.

Good Luck and stay in touch.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 07:51:35 PM »
John,

You are only one week post op---- you're still a hippy virgin.   ;)

My Doctor always recommended elevating above your heart level and lots of ice, while I am not a doctor I believe I've heard enough people say that their doctor did same to them.

Remember you doctor did some pretty wild stuff to your leg to get it to dislocate and sometimes you will be sore.  My question is always, are you trending toward the worse or better.  If you are getting worse, not just a one day thing, call your doctor.  What I mean is if your pain is increasing day by day, don't suffer, call your doctor.

Pat's idea is good too, what meds do you have for pain, you are not a wimp if you take some pain meds, especially at night so you can sleep.

In the mean time I'm sending you lot's of prayers and good rehab thoughts your way.

Chuck

I was resurfaced a week ago by Dr. Griedanus in
Vancouver, and have 2 questions right now.

1) The thigh above the knee is like an overstuffed
sausage that has been pounded by a steak hammer.
Come within 3 inches and I yelp.  This is the only
thing holding me back in post-op exercises.  Any
insights welcome.

2) The post-op exercises themselves: in Canada
everything seems directed at a THP, as though
the bureaucracy hasn't caught up with whatever
distinctions might exist.  Again, insights welcome.

Thank you,

John MacLachlan Gray
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Tarhoo2

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 09:26:33 PM »
I was very swollen and bruised from lower back to my feet after my BHR's.  This was probably the most unpleasant post-op symptom I had and I sympathize with your discomfort.  Most of the pain medication I took was directed toward relieving this pain, rather than pain associated with the joint itself or the incision.  Beside meds, the swelling and associated pain was best managed by icing and elevation.  I was fortunate that I had an in-home nurse and therapist that provided sound advice on a daily basis.  Walk, ice, elevate and be patient.  Best wishes for a full recovery.

Stucch

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 04:52:48 PM »
John,

I had some similar pain but more to the inner part of my knee, you have to remember what we went through while we were in la la land. My surgery was three hours long and was only supposed to be 1 3/4 hours. My doctor told me he had a tough time with me, my muscles were so tight. I can just imagine what my leg went through. Anyways, I was just as swollen as you, the first week to week and a half is brutal(not to scare anyone). My remedy was using lots of ice and man did it work miracles, you'll see a difference with in a few days. Be patient, I'm just about four weeks post op and I'm doing great, you'll get there, trust me!

Eugene
Toronto, Ontario

bporter44

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 08:26:57 PM »
I havent had my resurfacing yet so I am speaking from experience with other injuries and the fact that I've had some medical training in the Military. Keep your leg elevated when you are not active. Toes above your nose is what I am always told. That together with 20 to 30 minutes of ice at a time. 
Bo Porter

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 11:18:06 AM »
I had a lot of swelling in the thigh as well, and at 3 1/2 weeks still have a little when I overdo it (thats one of the ways I know I over did it)  Ice and elevation like everyone else said. Remember too when you start to get on your feet more that fluid will migrate down into your ankle and foot. That kinda freaked me out a bit but the pt said its normal when you start spending more time upright. I had little baggy spots around my ankle and the top of my foot fattened up.  Ice and elevation helped the most.  Good Luck and keep us posted.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear