+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: Glucosamine, MSM, Chondroitin  (Read 3583 times)

bothdone

Glucosamine, MSM, Chondroitin
« on: October 26, 2008, 07:36:36 PM »
I was wondering what anyone on here thinks about taking glucosamine, MSM and/or chondroitin to aid bone strength?

Which ones and what quantities do people take?

I'm taking 1500mg glucosamine daily but I'm not sure of its benefits.

Thanks

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

stevel

Re: Glucosamine, MSM, Chondroitin
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 02:00:29 AM »
My medical discharge instructions said to stop taking glucosamine after I received a LBHR by Dr. Su at the Hospital for Special Surgery (HSS).  My right hip is fine.  So I'm not taking this supplement.  I was taking 2 tablets daily at 1500 mg each pre-op.
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66

John C

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 06:45:44 AM »
I would love to hear more about this, particularly why Dr. Su would instruct you to stop taking it. As I understand it, glucosamine and chondroitin supplements are directed at cartilage, so they are certainly not going to be relevant to a resurfaced hip, but it would seem to be a good idea for the other joints. Is there some reason relevant to the resurfaced hip that they would want you to stop?
I would love to hear more on this, since many of us would want to take these supplements to keep the non-operated hip going.

John
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

obxpelican

• ~Welcome to SixBurgh~
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 02:24:32 PM »
I would love to hear more about this, particularly why Dr. Su would instruct you to stop taking it. As I understand it, glucosamine and chondroitin supplements are directed at cartilage, so they are certainly not going to be relevant to a resurfaced hip, but it would seem to be a good idea for the other joints. Is there some reason relevant to the resurfaced hip that they would want you to stop?
I would love to hear more on this, since many of us would want to take these supplements to keep the non-operated hip going.

John

John,

That's certainly something that someone should ask Dr G at the next chat on here.   My discharge papers did not say anything about supplements, in fact I think it allowed me to take whatever I need.  I'll have to check it again.

Chuck

Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

swedish hippy

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 03:16:55 PM »
My surgeon said that I could certainly use glucosamine ...it would be good for all my joints!

1500 daily is my dose

;)
Walking is heaven on earth.

stevel

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 07:43:57 PM »
I don't knowingly have osteoarthritis in any of my other joints so I suppose I don't need the supplement anymore than somebody who has never had osteoarthritis.  Since my left hip has been resurfaced and my right hip has cartilage, I suppose I don't need the supplement.  I believe the problems with my left hip started 20 years ago after a motor vehicle accident.
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66

JohnS

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 01:20:58 PM »
I just had my pre-op the other day.  My doctor said the glucosamine is simply an anti-inflamitory and nothing else.  He said it is effective, not as good as ibuprofen, but does not have the side effects.  I know that I've been taking it for some time now.  I quit for a week once as an experiment.  It clearly demonstrated to me that it was a significant help in reducing the arthritis pain in my knees and hips.  I sure hope my doctor allows me to continue with it.

JohnS
John S RBHR 11/19/2008 Dr.Palmer, Minnesota

bporter44

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 03:11:58 AM »
After ten years of researching and using supplements in an attempt to find resolution to my declining hip condition, I  finally found my solution. Let me explain a little. I not only wanted to prevent more damage to my hip but enhance health in all my joints to prevent repeating the problem and extend my youth and flexibility. The bottom line is essentially collagen. Collagen is found in meats of all kinds but highest in beef. If anyone is like me, I like to keep my cholesterol in check as well as my weight so I keep my beef intake to once or twice a week. The answer is a quality collagen supplement once a day from your local healthfood store. If your wondering, it contains naturally occuring high quanitities of both glucosamine and chondroitin as well as other naturally occuring support supplements. Its an all in one solution presented in a form and ratio as nature prescribes it! I took it presurgery up until my day of operation and immediately began taking it as soon as my resurfacing operation was completed and I got home. I am now 10 days post op. I went to a cane at 5 days post op and blew all the doctors away with my distances walked in the hospital. I could have gone to a cane sooner but for the light headedness form blood thinners etc. Collagen does a number of wonderful and healthy things for the body including enhancing skin health as well as the essentail building block for all the connective tissues which will neeed to be mended (muscle, tendon, cartilage and ligament) from the trauma of the operation.  I would only suggest the addition of MSM (from 1000 to 3000mg a day depending on your size). As I indicate above, this is not just for inflamation but to build and repair healthy joints.

Lastly I'd like to mention briefly keeping the blood from staying acidic all the time. This condition destroys joints and joint tissue along with many other metabolic complications that can also effect the heart. Drugs like NSAIDS and drugs taken as a result of operations as well as smoking, high amounts of refined sugar and high volumes of alchohol can cause it. Look at food balances like protein versus fruit or vegetable ratio when eating a simple meal. Most vegetables are alkaline and proteins are acid. Also, if you have ever wondered why there are frequesntly occuring partners in our meals such as lemon in tea and cream in coffee its not just taste, this is the reason. Lemon is alkaline in the body and tea is acid. Coffee is acid and cream is alkaline. If you look at the old guidelines we grew up with like not just eating your meat but also your vegetables, its got a lot to do with acid balance which helps create joint health.   
Bo Porter

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 04:03:12 AM »
Hi Bo

Glad to hear your recovery is going well for you.

Thanks for the info about collagen.  I am also a believer that our lifestyle and food we eat certainly does affect our bodies and recoveries.

I wish you the best.  Keep in touch.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Bionic

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 04:25:41 AM »
Bo,

My eye doctor (of all people) told me that I had "acid skin," which he could tell from the way my eyeglasses were wearing.  Now you've got me thinking whether I also have "acid blood."

I have to say I balked when I read that lemon is alkaline, but I looked it up and it's true!  It is acid on the plate but alkaline when processed by the body.  Who knew?

If you have any favorite links to sites describing blood pH and its effect on joint health, I hope you will post them.  I think many people (including me) would be very interested in learning more about this.

sunny

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 03:56:54 PM »
I also asked my surgeon about taking the supplements.  I had no cartilage on left side (which is why the implant), I do not have much left on my right side at this time.  My Doc it would not help save my right side cartilage.  However, somewhere I picked up info on a gel or foam that is used for cartilage replacement or repair.  I am still researching it.  However, I can't find it.

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats