+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Infection after Bilateral Hip Resurfacing  (Read 3124 times)

shinman

Infection after Bilateral Hip Resurfacing
« on: November 03, 2008, 11:01:44 AM »
I have read all of the posts regarding post surgery infections. I am 5 weeks out from a bilateral hip resurfacing (Biomet cementless). I am fighting infections at the ends of both of my incisions. I am now on my third antiobiotic (Zyvox) and I wash the incisions twice per day, clean the infection sites with peroxide, and then paint the sites with Betadine.

I send pictures of the wounds to my doctor in South Carolina every few days. I am concerned that I am fighting an infection of MSRA. I have lots of pressure around the incision sites and swelling at the sites as well (although the general swelling I had is starting to resolve). I do not see a lot of redness, and I do not feel that the areas are warm to the touch. I am not experiencing the kind of fatigue Spencer described, and I do not feel "feverish".

I am frustrated by the feeling of pressure in the hips, and I am still experiencing a lot of soreness in both hips. I was hoping to be further along than I am presently! I have moved from crutches to 1-2 canes now, and I can walk short distances without the canes. I am not pain free when I walk. I am doing about 8/10's of a mile each day now using my canes.

I think I am going to ask my doctor about getting some lab work done locally - to see if they are any indicators of infection. I am concerned about "jacking around with this" and developing a serious problem.

Any thoughts, recommendations you guys and gals have would be appreciated! I am a pediatric physical therapist and was hoping to return to work in 2 weeks (7 weeks post-op). Right now I am thinking that is going to be difficult!

THANKS!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Infection after Bilateral Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 11:12:41 AM »
Hi

I think I would get on the phone with Lee and tell her how concerned you are. I would want to get some lab work done if I were you so you have some peace of mind.

This is definitely a problem that only the doctors can solve and maybe you need to push a little more if you are worried.

Have you had your family physican look at the incision.  I am sure Dr. Gross would be willing to work with a local doctor to get some tests done so you can have some answers.

I think if you feel you are not improving and getting worse, you should not wait too long before getting more information about what could be wrong.

Please keep in touch.  I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
Re: Infection after Bilateral Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 04:27:30 PM »
Hi Shinman,

Sorry to hear about your infection. You definitely want to get a sed rate, and c-reactive protein. No fever and no fatigue is a good sign. Swelling was one symptom I had. Don't get too worried, just get the tests and go from there. Keep us informed and know that you can get through this.

I spent 6 weeks on IV cefazolin and am doing great. You WILL come through. Email me at magoo451@msn.com if you want to discuss more.

take care,

spencer

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat