+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: BHR Novv 19, 2008  (Read 5479 times)

JohnS

BHR Novv 19, 2008
« on: November 14, 2008, 06:06:48 PM »
I was encouraged by the information and support of this website so I thought I’d join and share my experience.

It started couple of years ago as a click in my hip when I rolled my right knee inward.  Later, I had a fairly sharp pain when I lifted my right leg to move my foot from the gas to brake while driving.  Then about two years ago, I started having a difficult time getting out of chairs.  When I tried to un-weight my right foot to bring it back in position to stand, I would get an extremely sharp pain in my hip and it felt like my leg was locked and the pain kept me from getting up.  I never knew when I sat down if I would be able to get up easily.  Often, the pain would nag at me while sitting and I'd squirm have to stretch my leg out.  About this time I had problem with physical activity like mowing the grass and playing golf.  Then as this summer moved on, I had more and more difficulty riding my motorcycle.  There were several times when I almost couldn't get my right foot off the peg when I came to a stop.  Around mid-September, I was essentially unable to even sit on my scooter. To top it off, I was chasing my Grandson around the house and almost went through the ceiling with pain as I rounded a corner. This was the straw that broke the camel’s back.

I was lucky enough to have a biker friend who had THR on both sides who highly recommended his doctor.  So with a visit and a set of x-rays, we determined that I was almost bone on bone and a BHR candidate.

So, I’m getting more and more anxious as Nov 19 approaches.  Luckily, besides my biker friend, I also have a friend at work that had a THR and is helping with suggestions and support.

I'm hopeful that getting this done will allow me better times with my Grandson, the ability to play golf, and a full riding season next year.  I do a lot of riding around the state and a lot of standing for long periods so I really want to be physically able.  On the down side, I'll probably have to start mowing the yard instead of my wife doing it.

JohnS
John S RBHR 11/19/2008 Dr.Palmer, Minnesota

obxpelican

Re: BHR Novv 19, 2008
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 06:41:29 PM »
John,

Your story is one that has been repeated often, when it gets to the point of losing the ability to do things that you love to do you come to a reasonable conclusion that you need to do something about it.  This is why stories like yours are so important, you've spelled out to many that they indeed will need to make the same decison at some point.

I can tell you that I was able to golf at around 7-8 weeks post op, it was my right hip and I am right handed so I can now turn towards my shot.  I now can beat my buddies in long drive contests, they of course are not happy.  ;D

You'll find this fourm to be a valuable resource and you will come to realize that it's one of the best resources on the net for hip resurfacing.  We have lots of great people who will give you support.

Good luck, don't worry many have walked straight lines not long after their surgery, in the beginning post-op you may doubt your decision but that will soon change as you find yourself doing things pain free that you could only dream of before.

Oh and BTW, welcome to the forum.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

JohnS

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 07:42:38 PM »
7 Hours post-op.

Per my Doc, it was a text book BHR.  I did the spinal thing, and am glad I did.  I remember waking up after a general feeling like I was run over by a truck.  The only part that was uncomfortable was the spinal wearing off.  But on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd make that a 2.

I was stainding after 4 hours doing my first PT.  And just a few minutes ago walked (with walker) to the bathroom.

I am on percocet and feeing pretty good.  Actually, after eash episode of standing an moving the ache is reduced.  The hardest so far is lifting that operated leg.  Whowa!  Need help with that.

So, after much anxiety about doing this (almost chickened out a couple of times), I feel reallly luck that things are going so well.  I just hope it continues and there's no reason to believe it won't.

JohnS

And to top is all off, I've got wireless  internet in my room!

Barbara

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 08:53:33 PM »
Wow John,

I can't believe you are sitting writing an email 7 hrs post op and standing after 4 hrs. Take care not to overdo it. I learned that the hard way this past week.

I hope you continue to have an uneventful recovery.

Barbara
Barbara
RBHR 10/13/2008. LBHR 12/08/2008. LBHR revision 1/18/2010, LTHR 9/23 2011, RTHR 12/16 2011............
Dr Pritchet, Seattle

JohnS

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 10:21:01 AM »
23 hrs. post op.

Thanks Barbara.  Your advice is welcome and in this case, consistent with what many have said about taking it easy.

Today I'm a little sorer and I can't lift my right leg at all withoug a level 10 pain.  But the Doc stoped in the morning and said that not to worry, pretty normal and wil get better soon.  This isn't a set back (couldn't lift it yesterday either), but it sure makes it hard to get out of bed.  Once I'm standing, I pretty stable and mostly stiff.

Pt is schedule for twice today - not looking forward to getting out of bed again, but I can tuff it out  ;) :-\.  No pain - no gain.

JohnS
ps: I promise I won't post every 4 hours  ;)

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 12:26:51 PM »

WELCOME TO THE OTHER SIDE JOHNS   

;D ;D  Ha Ha Sorry, hope that didn't hurt 8) 

Good news John!, always good to know it went smooth. Now your "worrying about it part" of the program is complete and you can concentrate on healing, cogratulations! 

My only advice I can give you (I'm 8 weeks post op) is do
E X A C T L Y  what the PT people tell you and no more. I am the king of "Well she said to move it 2" 2 times, but look ! I can move it a foot 10 times !! I'm kicking ass"  .....and then you can't move anything for 4 days right ??  It's easy to do man I've done it like 4 times now, thats how quick a learner I am.   Anyway take it easy and enjoy the wireless, cause we all know too well that TV suu---uuucks!

oh yeah,  do you ride dirt or street bikes ?  I know a guy that rides dirt bikes with 2 new ball joints, and a few guys with one, "You will ride again Grasshopper..."    :D :D Have a good one, Bill out.

JohnS

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 05:58:22 PM »
BILL, Thanks for the advice and encouragement, especially "you will ride again." This afternoon was better, the PT showed me another way to get out of bed by using my cane to support my right let.  Still hurts, but considerably easier.  Walking with a cane now and I'm scheduled to go home tomorrow.

As far as riding, I used do it in the dirt but when my friends nicknamed me "crash & burn" I could see the writing on the wall.  So now I ride a tour (76 Goldwing).  I'm thinking iron butt, but that'll have to wait til I make sure all my other body parts agree to go along.

JohnS

John C

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 12:17:35 PM »
About lifting your leg to get out of bed; my doc had me buy a kit that included a rod with a nylon loop on the end that you could hook over your foot to lift the leg around. It worked great, so you might look into it if you still need help. It sounds like you might be doing something similar with the cane.

John
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

JohnS

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 09:08:08 PM »
2 1/2 days post op.

So, I got home today about 2:30.  Its really nice to be home.  I had a great experience at the hospital (Lakeview Hospital in Stillwater, Mini-soda) and a great staff there helping and encouraging me.  Both the PT and OT were great and the nurses were absolutely outstanding.  (Food was hospital food, what can I say.)  But my wife is an angel, helping with everything here at home, and I sure like it ;D.

John C, I know what you are talking about.  A friend at work that had a THR let me borrow his.  He calls it his invisible dog leash.  I tried it but found the cane worked better for me.  Instead of a "J" shape, mine is kind of "7" shaped at the top.  I can hook the handle under my foot and keep the cane locked to the inside of my knee.  That way, I avoid turning my knee in accidentally.  I use it getting in and out of bed and when I have to lift my right leg.  That's still the sorest point,  lifting that right knee,  but even in this short time, i can feel an improvement.

JohnS

mari

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 09:19:14 PM »
Hi, John,

I wish you well in your recovery.  I am also from MN and trying to decide where to have a hip resurfacing done.  I see you were in Stillwater.  Did you have Dr. Palmer?  And if so, has he done very many? 
Right Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Gross February 2009

JohnS

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 12:26:41 PM »
3 days post-op

I feel I've made good progress although it is still very difficult to raise my right knee.  It is, however, slowly improving, so patience is required.  I can walk around the house well, getting in and out of bed is better.  PT is getting a little easier each time.

There has been a some talk on other posts about sleeping on one's back.  I was told this was required for six weeks or so, but I could lay on my side for a little while if needed.  Just keep the pillow between the legs.  Luckly, I have a bed that allows me to raise the upper part, just like a hospital bed (a luxury purchase when we were able and now I'm grateful my wife talked me into it).  This allows me to very comfortably lay on my back.  Before the surgery, I was uncomfortable on my back because my hip ached, regardless of the bed position.  Now, I'm comfortable on my back, just have to keep the snoring under control.

Mari, thank you for the well wishes and yes, I had Dr. Palmer.  I believe this web site says he as done over 100 BHRs, but that my not be quite up to date.  He told me he has done over 300.  My incision is about 5 inches and healing very well.  My experience has been very positive with Dr. Palmer and I would definately recommend him.

JohnS

counsel934

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2008, 05:31:20 PM »
im glad your surgery went well
my bhr surgery is scheduled for 12/3/03 with dr clarke in syracuse
im a little scared but i think i need to do it
pain and motion is getting worse
im told that i will be in hospitial for three days and then home , then pt at home
im wondering if i should go to rehab facility because i told that they will work you harder then the pt at home

what does everybody think

stevel

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2008, 06:32:15 PM »
All you need is a visiting nurse service to send a physical therapist to your home.  She will instruct and assist with the stretches.  The Dr's assistant gave me some handouts showing the diagrams of the various stretches.  After surgery, your hip is healing and only stretching is advised.  After about six weeks, she added strengthening exercises with cyvex and nautilus machines.  I had surgery on a Monday.  I spend 4 days in the hospital.  I spent the weekend in the hotel.  I was able to walk a few blocks to restaurants with crutches.  The following Monday, I had physical therapy at the sports rehab facility next to the hospital.  I saw the Dr. for one week post-op and returned home via airplane.  The visiting nurse service sent a physical therapist over and she evaluated me at 10 days post-op and cleared me for driving, since I had a LBHR.  So I drove to the physical therapist 2 to 3 times a week for six weeks.
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

counsel934

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2008, 09:27:52 PM »
thanks for the info
in less then two weeks surgery will be over

tony

JohnS

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2008, 10:03:06 PM »
4 1/2 days post op.

PT (at home) is improving.  ROM increasing a little each time and some strength in the leg lifts.  I sure couldn't get my foot from the gas to the brake so driving is a ways away.  Yesterday afternoon I think I screwed something up.  I changed my sweat pants then took a nap.  Afterward, I had a very difficult time putting weight on the right hip.  This feels like a big jump backward because I had only tightness in my hip when bearing weight.  Now there's a point in my step it hurts like heck.  I have to exaggerate standing straight and tall.  If it wasn't for this site, I'd despair, but there are many stories of things getting worse then getting better.  So I'm hopeful.  I am supposed to do PT at home twice a day and also go the a PT clinic twice a week for two weeks.

Tony (counsel934?), fear not.  You have the support of all these surface hippys.  Also, I don't know where you live, but I'm in Mini-soda so this fall was for me an excellent time to git er done.  I'm not much into winter sports so I hope to be ready to resume activities come spring.  Good luck on the 3rd and keep us up to date.  Once you are OTOS your real journey begins - getting your life back.

Anyone? - - - Just above my right knee, especially in the back, it feels like someone hit me with a baseball bat.  Its not hot or red, but it hurts when massaged like a bad bruse.  Is this because I'm using the muscle back there to compensate for the difficulty lifing my knee up?  Any advice is appreciated.

JohnS

obxpelican

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2008, 10:42:34 PM »
John,

You just went through a major surgery and your femur was dislocated from your hip joint, on top of that some of your muscles and tendons were cut and re-stiched.  At 4 1/2 days you will have some discomfort, the magic time seems to be between 7 and 10 days when things really start to click for people.

If it were me, knowing what I know now, I would totally back off any therapy for a day, take it easy, rest, ice things down and then gradually go back to your routine.

Be very careful as your body is doing some serious mending.  Dr. Gross the guru who did me does not even prescribe PT till after 6 weeks, except for some home exercizes and walking, then at 6 weeks Dr. Gross wants you up to one mile.

You'll get to the finish line.  Don't worry, but back down for a day  or so take it easy and enjoy your turkey day.

BTW--- I would get x-rays if your pain is shooting like a 9-10 when you put weight on your foot.

Good luck.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

hawaiieric

• Happy kiter here...
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2008, 09:36:59 PM »
That baseball bat feeling was in me too, I told my doctor at my first post op appointment, and he said it was his fault, for when he dislocated my leg to work on it.  What I did to help it out and to take the pain away was to keep my circulation flow going.  I would be in the most pain during my sleeping times, and I would wake up hurting.  A few tips that worked for me was to do flex/isometrics tighten up the muscles there, that would then get me to want to get off the bed and walk, and that helped by the 5th step, If I walked for 5 minutes, the pain level went way down.  The last thing I liked to do was to bend my knee, by using a towel, I would pull my foot closer to me just slightly, and then I would use lightly massage it, feeling my leg and how the pain is down deep to the bone, and just imagine what part of the muscles needed some rubbing out.  The T.L.C. worked for me.(it took me 10 days of that pain but currently I forgot about it lately, it just simply stopped hurting)

I hope this helps for you,
Eric

counsel934

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2008, 07:20:23 AM »
thanks john
i live in upstate new york we already have snow
surgery is 12//3/08, yesterday i had my last pre op visit
my family
 doctor told me to remain active, prior to two weeks ago i was excercisied regularly, however pain is getting worse
so maybe i will try to do it for 30 min

JohnS

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2008, 06:43:28 PM »
6 days post-op

I was finally able to get a shower today!  Boy-did I need it.  It just raised my spirits and I actually felt better after.  The annoying catch in my right hip when i put my weight on it is getting better.   I was walking around like Tim Conway (old man sketch) for a day or so.  I feel like I've got my stride back, such as it is.  I'm still guarding it though.  The back of my right thigh is swelling, along with my butt.  So its on to the ice packs.  (Note:  I've heard of people using a bag of frozen peas.  Great idea, just don't leave them unattended if you have kittens.  At least they had a riot.  We'll be finding them around the living room for weeks.)  I feel really lucky that in spite of the pain and stiffness from the swelling, I am able to sleep well.  Maybe better than I have for a long time.  (Do you suppose the drugs have anything to do with it?  ;D  )

Eric,  I haven't yet gone back in to the doc, but I don't expect he'll take the heat for the baseball bat effect.  I just hope its part of the normal healing process.  I also need help bringing my knee up, but I use my cane for that.  I'll try to get my wife to massage my leg some.  It feels hard and if I keep it bent at about 90 degrees, feels like it would cut the circulation to my lower leg off.

Counsel934, glad to hear everything is a go.  I had a class about a week before my surgery and they told us what to expect when and how.  Also, they gave us a list of the PT exercises we would be doing.  I sure with I had that class two weeks before my surgery.  I think it helped some that I started the exercises even before I went in.  Upstate NY is beautiful.  You probably get more snow and not as cold as here in MN.

Thanks again Chuck for the encouragement and helping to keep things in perspective.

JohnS

toroqu

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2008, 10:53:26 AM »
I am glad to hear that your recovery is going well. I had RBHR with Dr. Palmer on November 3.  I concur that Lakeview Hospital and the nursing staff are outstanding. Stick to your PT and you will get stronger every day.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat