+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Dentist?  (Read 1561 times)

jjiam

Dentist?
« on: November 29, 2008, 07:09:06 PM »
OK I have read since we have and artificial joint, that we have to take antibiotics before going to the dentist.  Is that correct?  I can't believe we have to do that, since antibiotics aren't good for ya. But please if anyone knows the answer let me know.
I got my hip resurfaced Sept 11, 2007, so one year and 2 months and a few days, couldn't be happier.  I work out on the treadmill in the winter for 30 minutes every day 5 days a week, then do the elliptical for 20 minutes.  In the summer and spring, I can ride bicycle about 100 miles or more a week.  No one ever knows my hip is artificial, and the people who knew me when I limped so badly can even recognize me!!!!!!   I wish I would have gotten it done earlier, but had some reservations, but I'm so happy with my new hip.

Barbara

Re: Dentist?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 08:22:22 PM »
Unfortunately it's true. They recommend prophylactic antibiotics for anyone who has had joint replacement for at least a couple of years due to the risk of bacteria from the mouth entering the bloodstream during dental treatment.
Happy to hear that you are doing so well and are happy with your hip. I'll be 7 weeks post op on Mon and so far so good. I'm having my other hip done a week on Mon so I hopefully I'll still be happy a year from now. I'm sure i will be.

Barbara
Barbara
RBHR 10/13/2008. LBHR 12/08/2008. LBHR revision 1/18/2010, LTHR 9/23 2011, RTHR 12/16 2011............
Dr Pritchet, Seattle

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 12:00:44 AM »
Hi jjam

I have a page about antibiotics and dental work here

http://www.surfacehippy.info/antiobioticsdental.php

Personally, I don't mind taking the antibiotics as a precaution.  I am almost 3 years post op and my dentist still wants me to take 4 cephelexan before my cleaning or any work. I get my teeth cleaned 3 times a year and don't think the antiobiotics are going to hurt anything.  I am also 61 with a heart murmur - so it is also suggested for that also.

I guess it is a personal decision after a couple years, but I just want to stay on the safe side.  I have grown very close to my BHR and don't want anything to come between us!   ;D

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Jonner

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 10:11:33 AM »
For what it's worth, I have just been to the dentist this morning here in the u.k to have a filling and asked this very question and was told that NICE the National Insitute for Health and Clinical Excellence over here (an independent body) doesn't recommend the use of antibiotics any more.
Jonner
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 12:36:13 PM by Jonner »

Barbara

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 02:13:48 PM »
I read recently that the American Heart Association is no longer recommending prophylactic antibiotics prior to dental treatment for people with heart problems anymore as studies have shown that there is no evidence that they are needed.

Barbara
Barbara
RBHR 10/13/2008. LBHR 12/08/2008. LBHR revision 1/18/2010, LTHR 9/23 2011, RTHR 12/16 2011............
Dr Pritchet, Seattle

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat