+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: For right resurfacings, how long before you could drive?  (Read 2922 times)

Bionic

For right resurfacings, how long before you could drive?
« on: December 02, 2008, 11:01:16 AM »
For those of you who received resurfacings on your right side, how long did you have to wait until you were able to drive?  What issues did you have once you began driving?

Jonner

Re: For right resurfacings, how long before you could drive?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 11:29:32 AM »
Six weeks as specified by the hospital on a manual transmission, four weeks on an automatic -I start driving again tomorrow!. Downside is my wife won't drive to parties anymore. Upside is I can get to the gym and really get my fitness back. I'll keep you posted if I have any problems.
ATB
Jonner

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 01:11:03 PM »
6-8 weeks is what my Dr. said.   I think the main issue is your ability to lift your leg quickly from the gas to the brake in unexpected situations, like some numbskull pulling out in front of you requiring an instant stop ( a daily occurance here in so. cal ) I think light traffic areas would be no problem earlier though.

Bionic

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 01:21:15 PM »
I'm hoping I can use my right foot for gas and my left foot for brake.  That way, I can always apply the brake quickly in a panic situation, with my left leg handling most of the force.

I'll pretty much have to be driving at 2-3 weeks, unless I make some dramatic lifestyle changes, so I'm hoping I can make this work.

FYI, I work from home, so my driving will consist of short trips around town--mostly, dropping off and picking up kids from school and activities, and going shopping.

obxpelican

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 01:32:18 PM »
I am always amazed how doctors differ from their opinions on different things.  When I asked I was told as long as I was not taking my pain meds that I could start driving 3 days post-op.  One of the other rules were that I had to brake with my left foot.  That is weird to drive when you brake with your left foot.

We live in Pgh, PA, Columbia to Pgh is about 8 hours.

When we left Columbia Saturday following my Wednesday surgery (3 days post-op) my wife drove home to about mid Virginia at that point she wanted to stay overnight, my daughter and I wanted to go home.... we had a long discussion in a Cracker Barrel restaurant and my wife was voted down..... I drove home about 3 - 3 1/2 hours to Northern W Va where my wife took over.

When I awoke Sunday morning I was sore and very swelled from sitting so long, it took me all day Sunday to get the swelling down.  From that day forward I drove, although for about a week or so after getting home I needed help getting my right leg into the car.

Chuck

I'm hoping I can use my right foot for gas and my left foot for brake.  That way, I can always apply the brake quickly in a panic situation, with my left leg handling most of the force.

I'll pretty much have to be driving at 2-3 weeks, unless I make some dramatic lifestyle changes, so I'm hoping I can make this work.

FYI, I work from home, so my driving will consist of short trips around town--mostly, dropping off and picking up kids from school and activities, and going shopping.
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Barbara

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 01:49:51 PM »
4 weeks. The first couple of days I had a little bit of muscle pain when I moved my foot to touch the brake but otherwise ok.

Barbara
Barbara
RBHR 10/13/2008. LBHR 12/08/2008. LBHR revision 1/18/2010, LTHR 9/23 2011, RTHR 12/16 2011............
Dr Pritchet, Seattle

Jonner

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 02:07:10 PM »
In the U.K your insurance is invalidated until 4/6 weeks (or so the hospital told me), I'm surprised you don't have the same problem in the States.
Jonner

Big Bill

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 11:11:39 PM »
Big Bill here ...2 weeks is what the doc ordered...I had the  Cormet Anterior procedure and I drove in 2 weeks (could have done it sooner!)

Big Bill    C.A.S.H.   7-9-08   Dr. Kreuzer , Houston, Tx.   8)

hawaiieric

• Happy kiter here...
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 04:29:09 AM »
I was told by my doctor that when I was off the pain meds.   Since I couldn't do a leg lift, I didn't try....until I crawled in my manual trans truck and noticed its just a pivot from gas to brake, so 10 days post-op for me.

Free to to PT anywhere,
Eric

fenceman

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 09:19:38 AM »
My Dr's assistant told me officially I wasn't to drive for 6 weeks,  nudge nudge, wink wink.  That was there position due to insurance reasons.  I drove 1 week post op but I had a left BHR.  Hardest part was getting in and out of the car.
Bill
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM