+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Dr. Stephen Raterman patient...  (Read 2176 times)

dunnfla123

Dr. Stephen Raterman patient...
« on: December 14, 2008, 01:18:21 PM »
First off, I would like to say thank you to Dr. Raterman and his staff,  Victor my P.T. guru, Pat for this most helpful site, and all who post here... I am a 53 yo male that is 20 days post-op LBHR. I was diagnosed with AVN 4 yrs ago, and during that time found out about BHR and eventually this great site. It helped "tremendously in choosing a surgeon". I have virtually no pain (even most of the soreness is gone), have left the walker/cane/most of swelling, behind. I walk 2-3 miles/day, am able to do leg lifts (finally), and threw the oxycotins away day 5 and  take 1 perc in the morn now - to get over the stiffness/soreness so as to start my morning walk/exercises. I am blessed with a great surgeon, an asture P.T.,  and being a fast healer. I am working on more leg range of motion and looking forward for less restrictions and to be able to safely push further into the normalcy realm. I limp still, have some soreness, very little swelling, but these areas will improve with time. Along with the aforementioned kudos I'd like to say Merry Christmas to all and many blessings for the holidays to you. Sincerely, Rusty Ellis.

windsurfhippy

Re: Dr. Stephen Raterman patient...
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 10:04:52 PM »
Congrats Dunn. I'm 7 weeks post-op RBHR from Dr. Raterman and doing great. I still have some muscle pain but I waited 7 years to get fixed. I'm curious to know when you get off the cane. I can go without mine but still need it on long walks. Can you do the side leg lifts yet? They're still a little rough for me. Glad your doing well, and it gets better every day. Take care.

dunnfla123

Re: Dr. Stephen Raterman patient...
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 10:07:19 AM »
I quit the walker in 7 days, the cane in 14, and 20 days before I could do side/frontal leg lifts, while laying in bed. This was the hardest exercise to accomplish. I think what helped was to lean against my dining table- on a 45 degree angle - and doing the side lifts (makes you fight gravity more than standing upright and allows some lifting/strengthening of the muscles instead of lying in bed and straining like hell to lift). I also did similar frontal lifts while leaning back against table to help build/flex muscle. Obviously, this is very risky behavior and the need to be EXTREMELY diligent not to fall/slip is paramount. I started out slow, built my confidence up (that I could safely support myself from these positions), then would do these exercises 4 or 5 times a day. After a week or so - and on day 20 post-op - I was able to raise my leg frontways and sideways while in bed, 3 or 4 times. Since then it got easier and easier. I hope this helps you... P.S. I have spent the last week digging/planting new landscape around the house and after renting a trencher, have gotten down in the dirt and extended several of my sprinkler zones. I take exaggerated care getting up and down. I am sore daily, from all the new positions, but no pain. I lack full range of motion - can't bend down to put sock on or tie my shoe - but see Dr. Raterman in a few days and will have him reccomend some new stretches/exercises to improve range of motion... Good Luck and Happy New Year!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat