+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: My right hip resurfacing done by dr. Brooks on Thursday, Dec 11, 2008  (Read 2894 times)

mindjoy

I'd like to introduce myself, I am 48 (49 in Feb) yo male, had right hip resurfaced with Birmingham by dr. Brooks in Cleveland, OH on Dec 11, 2008. It was a difficult operation because I had dysplasia since I remember myself, however, dr. Brooks was able to do resurfacing instead of total replacement and I am very happy for that. I think everything went pretty standard in the hospital, although I had problems with digestion and difficulty urinating. I was discharged on Sunday, the 3rd day post-op.

Fast forward, I am now at home and today, Tuesday, is my 5th day post-op. I feel pretty good regarding my leg, got improved range of movement already and exercises are getting easier every day. I got some extra swelling today because, I assume, I was standing long time shaving for the first time since surgery and getting a cloth bath. However, there are two things that still bother me: I haven't had bowel movements since operation and still having problem urinating. I get very sharp pain which increases gradually, then I go and urinate, then the pain subsides and I am back to normal. If I wait before urinating the pain becomes really bad. I had problems urinating before, but never with pain like this. I checked with urologs a few years ago, but they couldn't find anything conclusive. I called dr. Brooks' office today and reported the problem but haven't heard back yet.

I'd appreciate if anybody can comment on my experience. I've been reading this forum postings and the Surface Hippy Web site which is my main source of information about hip resurfacing. The Surface Hippy is one of the most valuable Web sites of all.

Thank you,

John
John
48 yo - Right Hip - BHR - Brooks - Cleveland, OH - 12/11/2008
-->Life is a journey, enjoy your ride!<--

obxpelican

Re: My right hip resurfacing done by dr. Brooks on Thursday, Dec 11, 2008
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 07:04:05 PM »
Just thinking out loud here, and keeping in mind that I am not medically trained.  Sounds like it's possible you might have a bladder infection?   Lot's of cranberry juice usually helps that.

If it were me and I was not moving my bowels properly, raisins, grapefruit and bran. 

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

JohnS

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 10:15:12 PM »
John,
I also had a problem with constipation and it took me about 5 days to get the first one started.  I think the anethesia was the reason.  Also, the pain meds had a similar effect on me.  I think that's a typical side affect.  A stool softner may offer another possible solution.  I would talk to your doctor about the other, maybe Chuck has something there.
JohnS
John S RBHR 11/19/2008 Dr.Palmer, Minnesota

mindjoy

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 06:07:07 AM »
Thank you, Chuck and JohnS!

I'm expecting an answer from my doc's office today. The urinating problem has been with me since the surgery and they gave me an antibiotic routinely right after the operation. I will start drinking cranberry as well. My wife and I have studied the fine print for the medications I am taking: lovenox and oxycodone and our conclusion is that both constipation and trouble urinating could be an implication of their side effects, but will double check with doc's office.

Thanks again,

John
John

obxpelican

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 10:00:04 AM »
Stool softener is another good idea if natural does not work, but if you can do it naturally that is the way I like to go.  Fruits are good, fruit with vitamin C helps a lot and from what I hear C helps healing.

Drinking a full glass of water with the pain pill helps keep your body hydrated as well as drinking an extra glass of water during the day.

Chuck

Chuck
8-6-08

stevel

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 11:17:01 AM »
I was taking a daily dose of stool softener during my 4 days in the hospital and a few days afterwards.  I was fortunate to read a great tip on this website, which was to start taking stool softener the day before surgery.  This is described in "Pat's Corner, What items will I need after surgery, stool softener" on this website.  The hospital prescribed the stool softener during my stay.  So I had a great first bowel movement on day 3 of my hospital stay.  It was 12 inches long, about 1 1/2 inches in diameter, firm and broke in two.

Another great tip from Pat was to use European style crutches.  They are a lot easier to use.  I'm  very happy I received so much information from this website. 
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 09:29:13 AM by Pat Walter »
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

wayne-0

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 11:21:32 AM »
Chuck is right water,water ,water. Water detoxifies the body so drink 60-100 oz a day if possible. Oh don't forget the prune juice for the constipation.

Wayne
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

mindjoy

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 02:50:47 PM »
Thanks everybody for your kind suggestions.

I wouldn't have problem drinking a lot of water (and I'm trying to), however, whatever I drink seems to want to go out of my body within a half an hour or so. I am aware that I just have to rough it up until I got truly back to normal with improved and repaired leg as a bonus. My next milestone seems to be next Wednesday when it will be my last day of lovenox (the blood thinner).
John

fenceman

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 11:03:54 AM »
John,
Dr. Brooks did mine in August.  I used Swiss Kriss Herbal Laxative when I got home.  You can find in a health food store.  Never had a problem with urinating. 
Bill
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

obxpelican

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 11:53:12 AM »
All of those medicines that you were given in the hospital have a way of really messing up our systems.  I've never faired well with pain killers, they mess up my bowels, I cannot think and they make me feel like I want to sleep all the time. 

I think you're going to find that at around day 9 or 10 everything will come together, that is what my doc said and it worked out that way.  My monkey fist disappeared, I was not as tired and I just felt better all around.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 12:15:33 PM »
Hi John

Congratulations on your new hip.  Dr. Brooks is a great doctor. We are lucky to have him here in Ohio.  He has just completed 300 hip resurfacings. 

Most people do have problems with their bowel movements. Normally people start taking stool softners even before surgery.  I think the gang is right - you need to find out if you have a bladder infection.  THose things can happen.

Hopefully Dr. Brooks will take care of the short term problems for you.  You are lucky that he was able to do a hip rsurfacing for you.  It always helps to have an experineced surgeon like Dr. Brooks.

I wish you a speedy recovery. 

I don't know how much walking you are going to be doing outside if you live in northern Ohio.  I am in Marietta and we have had a lot of snow and ice so far this year.

Good Luck and keep in touch.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

mindjoy

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 01:48:44 PM »
I think Chuck is right, my digestive and urinary tract were complete mess. Fortunately, it seems to get better daily. I also realized that I don't really need a pain medicine (Percocet/oxycodone) so, after checking with doctor's office, I just stopped taking it. That was 3 days ago and I noticed real improvements since. Now I just take Tylenol when I feel I need it. I also double checked with the local family doctor today and they confirmed I don't have a bladder infection. The swelling of the leg is down, but now it seems that the whole leg is one giant bruise, which is tender to touch and started changing colors. Since I am not completely comfortable in any position for long, I just go from my recliner (the one recommended here on the forum - Lafuma Mellow) to kitchen chair to couch to my bedroom bed with walking on crutches in between. I also perform exercises recommended by PT. I am still not comfortable enough to get more than a couple of hours of night sleep.

Once I am fit for walking it will be spring and, hopefully, a little easier to walk outside. When can I really expect to be able to walk normally? Will it be right after first 6 weeks of walking on crutches as dr. Brooks ordered or some time later?
John

obxpelican

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 01:59:17 PM »
John,

It sounds like you are on the right track.... now you can concentrate on true rehab. 

BTW---- I bet you'll be walking well long before spring.

I am glad to hear that you're doing better.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

fenceman

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 10:08:26 AM »
John,
I am 4 months out and I am just starting to forget about my hip, I mean walking without thinking about every step.  I did about 6 hours of shopping on Saturday and my no-op hip became sore and my new one did not.  I hope that is not an indication of surgeries to come.

At 6 weeks Dr. Brooks told me to loose the crutches and start walking and "Don't Limp".  I did use a cane on longer walks for a couple weeks because I felt more stable.  So far everything is going great.

Bill
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM