+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 31 hours post op w/ Dr. Dyreby  (Read 2975 times)

MRoberts

31 hours post op w/ Dr. Dyreby
« on: December 20, 2008, 07:26:43 PM »
Well it’s official 31 hours post op with a Right BHR from Dr. Dyreby in Rhinelander WI.  I’ve been up walking with the aid a walker a number of times.  Pain is minimal, but I did not react well to the General Anesthetic still feel a little nauseated but getting better every hour.  I’ll try and keep everyone up to date as I progress.  Should have two more nights in the hospital if everything goes well. 

Thanks to everyone on this site for helping me with this decision. 

Mike
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 05:40:48 PM by Pat Walter »
Mike

Right BHR on 12-19-08
OS:  Dr. James R Dyreby, Jr., Northland Orthopedic Associates, Rhinelander, Wisconsin

sgoulet

Re: 31 hours post op!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 08:02:34 PM »
Mike,

I'm glad you are feeling good this soon after surgery.  Having just gone through surgery on my right hip ten days ago, I know what you are going through.  Hang in there and keep your spirits high.  You'll get stronger every day. 

Keep us posted!

Steve
Right leg – Cormet hip resurfacing – Direct Anterior approach – Dr. Stefan Kreuzer
Houston, TX – December 10, 2008

MRoberts

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 06:24:10 PM »
Well  I’m five days post op now, been home for two nights.  I am starting to move around the house some without the aid of a crutch or the walker, but only for very short distances.  So far every thing is going great.  Only problem I have is I have developed a rash around the incision site.  The Doc isn’t real sure what it’s from but it looks like it could have been an allergic reaction to the batadine wrap the place over the area of surgery.  I’ll take the rash any day to the constant pain I was in.  I only feel pain now if I move the wrong way.   I still need help doing some of the exercises, particularly the leg lifts but I am getting stronger every day. 
I wanted to whish everyone a merry Christmas and a happy new year.  This has been my best present in years lets hope it keeps going this way.

Mike
Mike

Right BHR on 12-19-08
OS:  Dr. James R Dyreby, Jr., Northland Orthopedic Associates, Rhinelander, Wisconsin

percy hipkiss

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 12:06:45 PM »
To those who have just had the op. good luck...reading of you rprogress so soon into the recovery period is most interesting....but how bad were you beforehand?

I'm on the list in the UK but today managed a one mile walk over hard, rutted frozen ground. I ached over the last few hundred yards, and I'm stiff now but I'm wondering if I'm bad enough to expose myself to surgery yet? I've had osteo arthritis in both hips for about five years. I'm 57. So far - as a lorry (truck) driver I've not missed any days due to sick abscence although even climbing into the cab can be...quite literally - a pain.

I get almost constant aching in the butt when lying down. Wake up with it several times a night. Just twitching my toes in the wrong way can result in acute short lived pain - really bad while it lasts. Did you feel worse than this? Could you have walked a mile the day before your ops?

thanks...percy

stevel

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 12:50:34 PM »
Hi Percy,

I could walk a mile or two before my surgery for a LBHR at age 55.  I even descended a flight of stairs for 4 stories in the Empire State Building using my cane, the day before surgery.  I had more loss of function (limping, leg length discrepancy) than pain.  The most pain I had was moderate.  But the x-rays showed complete loss of cartilage with numerous bone spurs.  My left leg had atrophied to about 2/3 size of the right leg due to limping and favoring the right leg.  I was wearing away the bones in my left hip which could preclude a BHR, later.  So I had my surgery and now three months later, I have mostly recovered.  I'm doing low impact sports with no pain and I don't even notice the implant.

I recommend you look at the x-rays.  If the cartilage is gone and bone spurs are present and the femoral head is deformed, then go for the surgery!
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

Mudpro

• My Work
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 02:12:58 PM »
To those who have just had the op. good luck...reading of you rprogress so soon into the recovery period is most interesting....but how bad were you beforehand?

I'm on the list in the UK but today managed a one mile walk over hard, rutted frozen ground. I ached over the last few hundred yards, and I'm stiff now but I'm wondering if I'm bad enough to expose myself to surgery yet? I've had osteo arthritis in both hips for about five years. I'm 57. So far - as a lorry (truck) driver I've not missed any days due to sick abscence although even climbing into the cab can be...quite literally - a pain.

I get almost constant aching in the butt when lying down. Wake up with it several times a night. Just twitching my toes in the wrong way can result in acute short lived pain - really bad while it lasts. Did you feel worse than this? Could you have walked a mile the day before your ops?

thanks...percy

Percy,

I agonized over the decision to have the surgery or live with the pain and limitation.  Like you, I was not completely immobalized and could manage my every day activity, but not without the aid of constent pain releaving medication.  Sometimes it was over the counter stuff, Advil was my favorite, or sometimes it was something much stronger when I over did it.  I struggled with the problem of trading a "tolerable" existance with the risk of surgery and I spoke with three seperate surgeons who could only advise me so much; the decision is entirely a personal one.

For me, at age 52 with a young son, I knew I was only going to get worse not better.  So i was facing 20 more years of daily pain medication and the consequences of that on my kidneys, liver, heart, etc.  I also could not keep up on a hike with my son who is a boy scout, something we both ahve enjoyed with each other since he could walk; I didn't want to miss out on this shared experience for the next few years before he's a grown man and begins a life of his own.

Now that I am on the other side of surgery, but not so far to ahve gained anything over my previous state yet.  The difference is I can see myself getting better every day instead of worse.

Good luck with your decision...

Bill
BHR on 12-10-08
OS:  Dr. Henry Boucher, Union Memorial Hospital, Baltimore, MD

wayne-0

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 03:20:54 PM »
Hey Percy,
I could walk great distances prior to surgery however it was not a normal walk/gait. I would throw my hips around like a pivot point, just doing whatever I could to make it thru the day. My pain was constant before surgery 24/7 and I mean it never went away, I just dealt with it. Just moving my toes gave me an excruciating pain, sleeping hurt everything hurt. My doctor told me my hips were some of the worst he'd seen. As far as being stiff, I was super stiff. In fact my doctor told me I was the most contracted patient he ever worked on. When I was in the operating room and on my side my legs/knees/feet would not, could not touch each other. In fact they would not go closer than 8- 10 inches. Doc said it was almost like a morbidity state. During  surgery he released a muscel or something and my legs fell together like they were normal again. So the answer to your question is yes I was as bad as you or maybe even worse before surgery. It has been 7 weeks since my op and I feel so good now. For me this surgery has been so successful I would recommend it to every one.Good luck Percy and I hope your waiting list is not to long.
                                              Wayne
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

percy hipkiss

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 11:20:11 AM »
Thanks to all who replied, especially Wayne who has helped me make my mind up.
The list is moving along and I should get the first one done sometime around March - maybe that's an omen  :D

The point about painkillers screwing up your vital organs is not lost upon me.

Seems that you blokes have lived through tough times and I hope that light at the end of the tunnel gets ever brighter for you all.

Will keep in touch via this forum.

regards

percy

fenceman

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 11:44:19 AM »
Percy,
I could walk a great distance but was in pain doing any activity.  At 44 I couldn't run and it really limited my activities (ski, martial arts, ect...).  Pain was not bad when I slept or sat.  I was more concerned about wearing out my other joints because of my limping.  My knee was beginning to hurt and my other hip was taking a lot of stress.  Since the op I have no pain and my knee feels fine.  I wouldn't wait too long.
Bill
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

MRoberts

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 10:41:06 PM »
I think this is the best thing about this web site being able to share stories of how we where, are and want to be. 

I sit here now 2 weeks plus 1 day and I am walking without a crutch or cane in and only use the cane when it looks like it’s going to be slippery.  I am looking out the window at 18+ inches of snow on the ground with a projected 6” more tonight.

I went to a birthday party at a local pub last night and I had people tell me I was walking with less of a limp than before surgery.  I don’t feel that strong on the leg, but the fix must show.

Before surgery my pain was controlled by taking 3 extra strength Tylenol 3 to 4 times per day plus Celebrex, plus Glucosamine.  I’m 38 and have been dealing with the pain going on 3 years and had undiagnosed symptoms for probably the previous 5 years.  I was slowly steeping up pain meds throughout.  The last two month the pain was getting exponential worse, I originally was going to wait for the surgery until March or April, but because I could no longer sleep well and if I drove an hour or more I could hardly get out of the vehicle.  I typically spend 10 to 20 hours per week driving for work , that really stunk.

I am obviously still recovering, but I am very happy I chose to have the surgery.  I was very active leading up to the surgery, though I stopped playing basketball 2 years ago and stopped “attempting” to run the last year and a half or so.  I could still walk though long distances would make me sore, for exercise I biked and swam and luckily that kept me loose enough to keep functioning.  After the surgery my doc told me it was a good thing I was doing that, because I was lucky to still be able to even walk because of the amount of bone spurs.  He could not even dislocate my hip without first removing a large amount of them.  Also keeping active has greatly contributed to how I feel right now.  I can hit the bike and pool again starting Monday and I plan to keep up the exercise routine as best I can.  I also start Physical Therapy on Monday.

My suggestion is if you have pain there is no reason to continue with it.

Mike

P.S. Took the kids skiing today with my wife, man was it tough to just sit and watch, but I was glad to be out and about. 
Mike

Right BHR on 12-19-08

percy hipkiss

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 02:40:58 PM »
More helpful replies - thanks fenceman and MRoberts.
Yes...it's good to swap notes and experiences.

Funnily enough my knee (left) is starting to give me some gyp.
I try to keep the p/k's & Ibuprofen  down to two  a day now (first thing in the morning) because I like a pint or glass of wine  in the early evening. I know if I take more the aching/stiffness/pain will subside a bit but I do like a tipple.

I'm getting a bit self conscious of my gait nowadays too. If I've been sitting for a while - maybe get out of the car/truck at  a Motorway Service area I hobble, semi-bowlegged for a bit! ::)

Coldest night of the winter her ein the UK - minus 7 (degrees centigrade) predicted. If we have an inch of snow it causes chaos.

si'thee

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat