+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Groin pain "bursts" 10 days post-op  (Read 10927 times)

mindjoy

Groin pain "bursts" 10 days post-op
« on: December 22, 2008, 07:17:34 PM »
I noticed a groin pain last few days (started on around 10 days post-op). It comes as short bursts and, more or less, randomly, for a period of time, then it goes away. Have anybody experienced such a phenomenon? If so, did it go away for good after some time? Thanks.
John
48 yo - Right Hip - BHR - Brooks - Cleveland, OH - 12/11/2008
-->Life is a journey, enjoy your ride!<--

Mudpro

• My Work
Re: Groin pain "bursts" 10 days post-op
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 07:55:00 PM »
John,

I had my BHR surgery on the same day as you (12-11-08) and experiencing groin pain but only when I try to do straight leg raises.  Its accompanied by a pain that goes down to my inner knee.
Bill
BHR on 12-10-08
OS:  Dr. Henry Boucher, Union Memorial Hospital, Baltimore, MD

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 08:17:34 PM »
Wait?  You are doing straight leg raises and you are only 10 days post-op?

That is phase II for Dr. Gross. hmmmmm

I could barely do a leg raise after 6 weeks.  LOL

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Mudpro

• My Work
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 09:00:56 PM »
I need a little bit of help getting them started from flat, but manage them the rest of the way on my own.
Bill
BHR on 12-10-08

obxpelican

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 09:02:31 PM »
If you can do leg lifts at 10 days post-op, you are my new hero.

Way to go!

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

mindjoy

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 07:10:09 PM »
I got confirmation from dr. Brooks' assistant today that groin pain is a normal part of healing process and that I shouldn't be concerned too much. It's not as bad today, it came only a couple of times.

People, I would be a bit concerned about lifting your leg before 6 weeks is over, because it violates the only limitation according to dr. Brooks: more than 75% weight on the operated leg. I am very careful not to violate this rule, usually my wife helps me lift my leg to bed or I do it with a helper tool or just with my own hand. Better safe than sorry!
John
48 yo - Right Hip - BHR - Brooks - Cleveland, OH - 12/11/2008
-->Life is a journey, enjoy your ride!<--

Barbara

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 09:20:25 PM »
I need a little bit of help getting them started from flat, but manage them the rest of the way on my own.

This is possibly what's causing your groin pain. Overusing the hip flexors which are the muscles you use to lift your leg can result in quite severe groin pain. (unfortunately I'm talking from experience)
Take it easy.

Barbara
Barbara
RBHR 10/13/2008. LBHR 12/08/2008. LBHR revision 1/18/2010, LTHR 9/23 2011, RTHR 12/16 2011............
Dr Pritchet, Seattle

obxpelican

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 09:26:17 PM »
That was why I questioned Mudpro doing them so early on, Dr. Gross phase II excercises are 6 weeks post-op, not so close to your surgery date.  I am still shocked that you can do those now.

Maybe it's best to take it easy period and not do the leg raises--- just my opinion.  Why mess things up now?

Chuck

I got confirmation from dr. Brooks' assistant today that groin pain is a normal part of healing process and that I shouldn't be concerned too much. It's not as bad today, it came only a couple of times.

People, I would be a bit concerned about lifting your leg before 6 weeks is over, because it violates the only limitation according to dr. Brooks: more than 75% weight on the operated leg. I am very careful not to violate this rule, usually my wife helps me lift my leg to bed or I do it with a helper tool or just with my own hand. Better safe than sorry!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 11:19:53 PM by obxpelican »
Chuck
8-6-08

Mudpro

• My Work
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 10:37:39 PM »
My in-home PT will be here at 9:30 tomorrow morning, she's the one who insisted I could do these, you can bet I'll be discussing this in more depth tomorrow...

The sheet I was given by the hospital PT department says (accompanied by a straight leg diagram):

"Straight Leg Raise
Bend unoperated leg.  Keep muscle on front of thigh tight with your knee straight.  slowly raise leg 6 - 8 inches of bed.  Lower leg back down.  Repeat: 20 times 2 - 3 times per day."

Caviat:  the instructions clearly say on the cover that they are for a "total Hip Replacement"

They had me doing this "with assistance" in the hospital 48 hours after surgery.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 10:42:09 PM by Mudpro »
Bill
BHR on 12-10-08

obxpelican

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 11:14:49 PM »
Man... with the muscles and tendons healing like they are at this point I don't know.  That seems to be awful aggresive.

Anyone else told to do leg lifts right out box post-op?

If you can do them without a lot of problems being operated on the 11th you're doing really well.  It took me a while before I could even move my leg up to the bed, let alone doing a leg lift.

I would say, if it's causing pain, stop it.  Other than that I guess you should listen to your doctor. 

I feel like a wuss now.

Chuck
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 11:18:19 PM by obxpelican »
Chuck
8-6-08

wayne-0

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 11:42:38 PM »
Chuck,
You shoudn't feel like a wuss, you did it the right way your doc told you to. That is the important thing do what your doc says. I got the green light to do leg lifts from the get go but it took me 8 days to get them 10 inches off the bed. Funny thing for me was my left leg was far worse than my right leg before surgery ( had both done same day ) but after surgery I could lift my left leg higher and easier.
                                               Wayne
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

JohnS

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2008, 07:57:26 AM »
Like Wayne, I was also told to do straignt leg raise from the get go.  It was extremely painful and I basically needed the PT or my wife to assist through the entire lift.  (Heck, I couldn't even do a heel drag for ac couple of days.)  Eventually, a few days out, my wife said she could tell that once I was started, the could feel that I was doing much of the work.   By week 3 I could lift the leg without assistance maybe 4 or 5 time.  Now at almost 5 weeks, I can do 20 to 25 lifts on my own.

I believe like others here, do what your doctor tells you!  I think that the doctor's process, incision location, muscle movement, leg manipulation, etc  during the surgery may have a significant impact on what you can and cannot do.  Like several people here, I was using a cane very early on while others were on crutches for some time.

I still do have groin pain bursts occasionally, but much less often now.  I think the onset of mine have been reaching too hard for that right foot (putting on socks for example) and just over doing it.

I am greatful for this site and all the support, encouragement, and great information.  Happy Holidays and/or Merry Christmas to all.

JohnS (RBHR 11/19/08)

John S RBHR 11/19/2008 Dr.Palmer, Minnesota

Mudpro

• My Work
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2008, 08:30:19 AM »

Chuck

Anyone have access to these different phases of PT? 
Bill
BHR on 12-10-08

obxpelican

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2008, 08:42:02 AM »
Phase I program

http://grossortho.com/forms/Others/PhaseIhipexercises.pdf

Phase II program

http://grossortho.com/forms/Others/PhaseIIHipExercises.pdf

Don't tell Dr. Gross I gave up his secrets, ok?

Chuck

Chuck

Anyone have access to these different phases of PT? 
Chuck
8-6-08

obxpelican

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2008, 08:44:27 AM »
LOL--- I was kidding, that was nice of you to be concerned for my manhood though   :D

This is why I am always amazed at the differences in protocol.

Chuck

Chuck,
You shoudn't feel like a wuss, you did it the right way your doc told you to.
Chuck
8-6-08

Mudpro

• My Work
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2008, 12:41:22 PM »
Thanks, Chuck.  My therapist left before I came back online and saw the pdf files, but I will share them with her and my out-patient therapist when I go for the first time next Monday.

We talked about the concerns and opinions expressed about the leg raises, and she agreed that I should back off trying to do unassisted leg lifts, but not to stop them all together.  So I'll be using the strap to take off as much weight as I need to keep any groin pain in check, but will continue to do them 5 - 10 at a time, three times a day.

This is a GREAT site, thank you!

On another note, as of about an hour ago I am now 42 staples lighter!  ;D

Bill
BHR on 12-10-08

obxpelican

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2008, 12:50:32 PM »
Mud dude,

You sound like you're doing really well--- keep up the good rehabbing.  I'm glad you are being a good patient advocate for yourself.

Hey, if they tell you it's safe to do those leg lifts you'll be that much further ahead.

Now in the future when you are doing well you can also be a great poster on the forum because YOU have been through it.  Pay it forward!

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

stevel

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2008, 02:49:41 PM »
Bill,

I was advised not to do straight leg raises (laying on your back) by my physician's assistant.  Lateral straight leg raises are OK (laying on your side, lift operated leg).  I needed assistance from the physical therapist since the muscles were weak at 11 days post-op.
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

Jed

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2009, 08:33:16 AM »
Two weeks after my surgery my PT wanted me to do straight leg raises. Could not do them at first, indeed I could not do them before the surgery because of the arthritis pain. So I started out with the knee bent at 45 degrees, then straightend the leg out in the air and did negatives, slowly lowering the leg.  a few days later I could lower the leg to about 22.5 degrees and then get it back up, each day lowering the angle until I could do them properly. Had the posterior approach so I doubt the muscles and tissues on the top of the leg were unduly weakend by the surgery. Leteral leg raises were harder for me, and a little painful at first around the incision. But they are fine now, 4 weeks post op. Was told by my surgeon, Dr. Antoniou in Montreal, that any cut ligaments necessary for the dislocation are tied together pretty tight so the whole joint is much stronger than it feels.
Cheers,
John

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM