+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Post op knee pain  (Read 5927 times)

Josephine

Post op knee pain
« on: December 24, 2008, 04:51:11 AM »
I had my left hip resurfaced 3 weeks ago. I had the surgery due to hip impingement and prior to surgery I had severe referred pain in my knee. My post op recovery was a little hampered by a large haematoma that required me to have a blood transfusion - I think this is not that common? I am mobilising quite well now with one crutch but I have found that the more I move about and sit the more the pain in my knee returns as it was before. I wondered if this was a problem that other people had and am hoping it is just due to inflammation from the op - it is still a little swollen and bruised.

RUSS H.

Re: Post op knee pain
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 10:06:32 AM »
Josephine--

I also had  left hip resurfacing done 3 weeks ago.  I had sharp pain in my knee before the surgery which was supposed to be referred pain from the way I was walking or limping.  My MD told me it was a tight IT band.  After surgery I had pain from the upper thigh down to the knee.  The IT band runs from the pelvis down to the tibia or shin bone.  It runs along the outside of the leg. My knee pain was on the outside of the knee cap.  It hurt when I straightened my knee during exercising.

He said it needs to be stretched with PT, but the stretches can't be done now because they put the hip in a dislocating position.  My PT said I'd have to wait until after my hip has healed to do the stretching.  Meanwhile,  the past few days have felt better.  I still can put finger pressure on the area and elicit some pain , but not as much as before.  Maybe it's getting better over time.

Once I knew where the pain was coming from it eased my mind and the pain.  Hope this helped.    Russ

Josephine

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 11:18:02 AM »
Thanks for that Russ

I have heard about IT band pain but cannot ellicit the pain with pressure and my knee pain was worse when I sat. I do not have any PT at the moment as I was discharged without any. I think you are right, whatever it is maybe it is just a case of waiting and then sorting it out after some healing has taken place. It has all been rather more traumatic than I thought and my recovery is slower than I had hoped - as I am only 42, I think it is a case of being patient...

I hope you have a lovely Christmas and continue to recover well.

Josephine

JeanM

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 10:20:12 PM »
Hi Josephine,
Be patient.  I'm quite sure your knee pain will resolve over time.  I had knee pain prior to surgery and I was very disappointed to find that it returned after surgery.  I also had some inward rotation of my leg, particularly my knee, while walking.  All of this was caused by some very specific weaknesses that had developed prior to surgery as I had compensated for my painful hip for a long time.  Those weaknesses became temporarily more severe after the surgery due to the muscles that were affected by the surgery.  I started doing physical therapy at about 10 weeks post-op to help correct the muscle weaknesses.  I'm now almost 4 months post-op and my knee pain has been gone for many weeks and my inward rotation has improved greatly, almost to complete resolution.  I still have a little bit of inward rotation when walking up a steep hill.  My hip feels great and is now stronger that pre-surgery.  The only issue that I have is some tightness of the muscles in my groin.  These muscles have been tight for many years.  So, I probably shouldn't expect them to loosen overnight.  But, at this point, I'm pretty confident that they will over time. 

Be patient.  Give your body time to heal and time to undo all of the habits that develop when we compensate for our pain prior to surgery.
Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/8-27-08

Josephine

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 06:37:22 AM »
Thanks Jean that is very encouraging. I know that I am impatient but it sounds like you are making great progress so I remain very positive about the outcome for me too. I think that this website is brilliant and I spent quite a lot of time on it before my op. The only problem for me was that I watched the post op videos and imagined I would be up and about walking at one week and that was far from the case for me. It is great to hear of other people who have different experiences to get a rounded picture. So thank you for taking the time to tell me about yours.

Josephine

bb

• b with w
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 01:17:22 AM »
 8) I also had knee pain, but after my left hip was done (a week after my right).  Actually, my right knee was the one that hurt, felt like they twisted my leg to much and hurt my knee.  But now, at 7 months post-op, no knee pain ... any I am playing basketball again, wonderful.

But I am still very stiff .. need to stretch more I suppose.

bb

Josephine

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 02:06:28 PM »
Hi

Just as an update - I can report that at 12 weeks my knee pain has virtually gone, I still get some discomfort both in the knee and hip but none of the 'pain'. Life is so much better I can't believe it. I still have some swelling around the incision site and it is painful to touch but I can walk pain free with no grinding - fabulous! I just spent a week snow shoeing and walking in the French Alps and had no trouble at all. I know that I will go on to improve over the coming year but my life is already considerably better.

Josephine  :)

dvander

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 09:13:04 PM »
This is a post in reference to Josephine's early recovery pain.  I also had severe pain, but mine was located on the outside and lower part of the knee and continued down the leg into the ankle and foot.  It was diagnosed as tendonitis.  I was MISERABLE from week 3 until week 9 or 10.  It felt like my ankle had a tourniquet around it.  There was numbness on the side of my leg above the ankle.  It was very discouraging.  All of this said for those wwho struggle with similar knee, ankle pain.  It will resolve.  I am in week 15 now and it is a distant memory when I thought it would never leave.  For those in early recovery, keep the faith and belief that your body will heal.

takilasunrise

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 02:45:58 PM »
I didn't have any knee pain prior to my surgery, but for few weeks after, my knee ached big time!  According to prior posts about this, one of the other members mentioned it to their doctor, and they said there's probably a good reason for it.........during surgery, your leg is manipulated into extreme positions to do the resurfacing, so the knee pain/ache is probably from that!  My ache/pain did eventually go away.  It maybe lasted for a month or so.  I thought it was really strange how much my knee hurt the first couple of weeks after my surgery and I wondered if something had gone wrong.  But, it's now gone and I've not had any problems since!  I wish you a speedy recovery! 

John C

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 10:49:14 PM »
I agree that the manipulation of the leg during surgery is likely the cause of some of the knee pain that people experience. Before I went into the surgery, I explained to the surgical team that I have 57 year old "skier knees" that are miraculously in good shape, but are undoubtedly vulnerable. When I had my hip arthroscoped a few years ago, I had knee pain afterwards. After my resurfacing, I had no problems with my knee at all. I wonder if my request for kind treatment of my knee may have helped? (The surgical team assured me ahead of time that they treat everyone with gentle care, so my knee had no need to worry.)
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

boshea

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 03:19:47 PM »
Hi Josephine,

I'm experiencing the same symtoms you descibe and I'm 17 weeks post op.

Just wondering did yours clear up and how long did it take?

Thanks

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat