+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Stationary Recumbent Bike  (Read 4640 times)

Mudpro

• My Work
Stationary Recumbent Bike
« on: December 27, 2008, 09:14:47 AM »
52 yr old male at day 17 of BHR right side.

You may have seen in my "What did Santa Bring You?" post that I recieved a stationary recumbent bike for Christmas.  Well I celebrated yesterday by walking to the corner and back with one crutch (approx 200 yards), I did have to stop a few times a long the way and was sure to ice down good when I returned.

Later in the after noon, I couldn't resist trying out the new bike.  It has a back that reclines to about 135 degrees of the seat, so I put it all the way back to keep my knee from having to raise to a 90 degree angle at the top of the peddle cycle.  I also set the machine on the least possible resistance.  After getting my feet into the peddles, I slowly worked the peddles back and forth until i felt I was ready for a full turn.  I played like this for 5 - 10 minutes, reversing the direction until i was pretty sure the action wasn't going to generate any new or scarey pains.  I then began a flat 10 minute work out at slow but steady speed.  The more I peddled, the better it felt, it was like sractching an itch.  Again I was sure to ice down afterwards for 15 minutes.

I had a little stiffness and some light throbbing last night as I went to bed (past my med deadline) but once I got to sleep, I slept for a full uninterupted 6 hours last night, the longest rest I've had since coming home from the hospital.

Anyone know a down side to this recumbent bike activity this early in recovery?  I sure hope not, cause I feel terrific this morning and looking forward to a warm shower, a bit of oatmeal and fruit and then to get back in that saddle.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 09:16:19 AM by Mudpro »
Bill
BHR on 12-10-08
OS:  Dr. Henry Boucher, Union Memorial Hospital, Baltimore, MD

obxpelican

Re: Stationary Recumbent Bike
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 11:52:43 AM »
Hey Mud,

What does your doctor say about the bike?  If he's down with it, just take it slow and easy work your way up.  You sure sound like you are moving along good as you move along to your 3rd week post-op.

Do you have access to a pool?  When I started swimming is when I really started feeling almost normal again. 

Chuck

52 yr old male at day 17 of BHR right side.

You may have seen in my "What did Santa Bring You?" post that I recieved a stationary recumbent bike for Christmas.  Well I celebrated yesterday by walking to the corner and back with one crutch (approx 200 yards), I did have to stop a few times a long the way and was sure to ice down good when I returned.

Later in the after noon, I couldn't resist trying out the new bike.  It has a back that reclines to about 135 degrees of the seat, so I put it all the way back to keep my knee from having to raise to a 90 degree angle at the top of the peddle cycle.  I also set the machine on the least possible resistance.  After getting my feet into the peddles, I slowly worked the peddles back and forth until i felt I was ready for a full turn.  I played like this for 5 - 10 minutes, reversing the direction until i was pretty sure the action wasn't going to generate any new or scarey pains.  I then began a flat 10 minute work out at slow but steady speed.  The more I peddled, the better it felt, it was like sractching an itch.  Again I was sure to ice down afterwards for 15 minutes.

I had a little stiffness and some light throbbing last night as I went to bed (past my med deadline) but once I got to sleep, I slept for a full uninterupted 6 hours last night, the longest rest I've had since coming home from the hospital.

Anyone know a down side to this recumbent bike activity this early in recovery?  I sure hope not, cause I feel terrific this morning and looking forward to a warm shower, a bit of oatmeal and fruit and then to get back in that saddle.

Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Mudpro

• My Work
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 02:18:29 PM »
I didn't ask my doctor with the Holiday and the weekend staring us in the face, but I start out-patient PT on Monday and am anxious to see what they say then.

I'm dying to get in a pool, I'm a member at a gym just two miles away with a heated indoor olympic pool avalable 18 hrs a day 7 days a week.  But my in-home nurse said I couldn't go into a pool, a hot tub, or even a regular bath until after I see the Doc for my 6 week check up.  I had thought that a week or so after the staples were removed would be safe from bacteria...
Bill
BHR on 12-10-08
OS:  Dr. Henry Boucher, Union Memorial Hospital, Baltimore, MD

nwugrad

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 01:25:38 AM »
Mudpro,

I am 16 days post op. I had a bi lat resurfacing by Dr. Su at Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC.  I live in the Philly area and go to PT at Bryn Mawr Rehab.  They began me on a stationary bike 4 days ago.  I now do 25 - 30 minutes at L3.  The PT recommended the stationary bike v. recumbent  b/c my knees don't come up as high and its easier to stop my knees from rotating out.  Today, however, I did the recumbent bike.  I moved the seat back pretty far and focused on keeping my knees in.  I had no pain from it, so tomorrow I think I'll do 15 minutes on the stationary and 15 more on the recumbent.

Best of luck!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat