+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Calling all Cyclists!  (Read 4632 times)

sgoulet

Calling all Cyclists!
« on: December 30, 2008, 06:13:35 PM »
Since we don't have our own Athlete's Corner topic area (hint hint, Pat ;)), I wanted to see how many cyclists we have out there in Surface Hippydom?  Floyd Landis was one athlete that helped popularize hip resurfacing and he is expected to be back on the competitive tour, including the Tour de France in 2009.

I have been competitive road cycling for about 4 years.  Within the last year, cycling got so painful that I had to stop about 4 months ago.  I couldn't wait for my surgery on December 10 so I could get my cycling back as soon as possible.

When healthy, I spin about 3 days a week in YMCA spin classes.  In addition, I typically get on the road a couple times a week - mostly on weekends where I ride between 40 to 80 miles each day.  There is not a better exercise for me to keep my fitness up, my weight down and my spirits high than road cycling.

Here are a couple of low res pics from the 2008 BP MS 150 charity bike ride from Houston to Austin last April. 2008.  I am in red.

I have started some easy spinning on my spin bike at home the past couple of days and it feels surprisingly good.  I plan to do at least 30 mins of easy riding each day and gauge how I feel the next day.  With my lack of fitness the past several months I have gained about 25 lbs :-[

Although I did a lot of competitive racing in Texas last year, I plan to stop racing in the next year as the risk of crashing goes up considerably in a race versus a vigorous charity or recreational ride.  Once I "grow' into my new hip, I will decide whether to race or not.

In addition to road cycling, I also enjoy triathlons.  My last triathlon was the the 2007 Longhorn Half Iron.  I did great on the bike averaging 22mph over the 56 mile hilly course.  My hip bothered me so my 13 mile run was pretty poor at 10:29/mile.  The swim...can't blame the hip there...just really slow.

Anyway, just wondered how many other cyclists and triathletes are out there?  How long before you got back on an indoor bike?  Outdoor bike?

Steve
Right leg – Cormet hip resurfacing – Direct Anterior approach – Dr. Stefan Kreuzer
Houston, TX – December 10, 2008

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
Re: Calling all Cyclists!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 06:40:11 PM »
Hey Steve!
Great posting on Slowtwitch!
I used to live in Midland, Texas in the early '90's and raced against and with some Houston triathletes called the BATS. I recall the names of Roger Price, Evan Mossman, and Ian Pattie. I did the Capitol of Texas race several times and Texas Hill Country at Lake Comal.Up until 2004 I had competed in triathlons since 1988. I hope to do some sprint tri's in either 2009 or 2010.

I teach spinning 4x/wk and ride the mountains here in Tucson on the weekends. I got back into teaching at week 4 and returned to road riding at week 5 but then had an issue with an infection under my incision so I had a second surgery in August and returned to teaching at the end of September. I just started back running and can now ride as intensely as I want. Steep hills are no problem at all. I agree cycling can definitely aid in rehab.

As an extra incentive to get into great shape, my wife gave me a great 50th b-day gift. We're going to the Tour de France for the final week of the Tour and we get to ride the best parts of the course beforehand.
That means I'll be climbing Mt Ventoux on the second to last stage. I can't wait.

take care and listen to you body!

spencer

sgoulet

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 07:03:34 PM »
Spencer,

Le Tour??? I am envious!  What a great gift from your wife!  I watch the Tour intensely each July and can't get enough.  In my job, I get to take a 30 day sabbatical in 2009 and my wife and I might actually go see the Tour as well!  We have some friends that live in Dunkirk (Dunkerque) France, and if we can get our plans together and someone to watch our 11 year old twins, we might be there in France with you! Given that my wife is not a cyclist, not sure I could swing an epic ride during the trip.

Mt. Ventoux?  That is one heck of a climb!  That is famous for Lance Armstrong's attack of Ulrich in the 2000 Tour de France.  I hope you have atleast 34/27 on your bike!

I read about your infection which surfaced into your  recovery.  What a bummer to be getting stronger every day then have a bug take you back down.  Glad you got it under control.  Was it staph?  Any idea on how you got it?  Just asking to make sure I don't unknowingly do something stupid.

I am an avid spinner and have put together quite a few "routines" for classes for my various instructors.  I love spinning and think it is one reason why I am able to keep up my fitness.

Keep me posted with your Tour plans!

Steve
Right leg – Cormet hip resurfacing – Direct Anterior approach – Dr. Stefan Kreuzer

sroberts

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 09:46:35 PM »
Steve,

I've got a 39x25 which is fine for me. I'm climbing 18-22% grades around here with that. Ventoux averages 7.8% so I'll be ok. I'm stked so if you go let me know, We're going with a bike tour company out of Austalia.
My wife is not a cyclist either but their is a lot for the non cyclist to do. I've been following Le Tour since 1985 when Lemond and Hineault were on the same team and I was in the Army.

As for the infection, yeah it was a bummer. It was staph but not mrsa it was methicillin sensitive. So after 6 weeks of IV cefazolin, I was back riding again. I have no idea how it got there but it never made it to the hip only to my IT band. The OS had to sew a hole that the infection had created. It definitely didn't happen during the initial surgery. The worst part of the ordeal was going from 185lb and very fit to 171lb scarecrow. I am back up to 183 now but it definitely took time. All's well now. Keep in touch,

spencer

DirkV

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 12:43:50 AM »
Hi Cyclists. Must have missed this thread when it started. Add another surfacehippy cyclist. I sent my "hip story" (under Dr. Ball patients). But the summary is that in pre-resurface life, I was active as both a hockey player and cyclist. I never raced, although I did participate in timed Tour de Tucson, MS 150s, Ragbrai, etc. In pre-resurf state, I had to quit hockey and so got more serious about cycling. Had my surgeries approx 10 months ago, and I'm now thinking of participating in a few sanctioned events this year.
Post surgery, I was able to get on my training stand fairly soon - between 1 and 2 weeks post op. I started with no resistance. My Dr's protocol suggested easy bicycle spinning as soon as possible/comfortable. As I recall, the biggest challenge was getting on the bike.
I had good fortune to have acquaintance w/ a Phys Therapist MD who is also a 2008 US National cycling champion - is that cool or what - and good insurance that allowed for a few months of Phys Therapy. So I had good rehab, that worked on not just the surgery related area, but also keeping the entire musculature structure ready for cycling.
Without asking (because I didn't want to get a no answer), I started riding outside at approx 3 months. I think the Dr. would have been OK with this, but the problem with a cycling-aware therapist is that she would have wanted all musculature healed enough to provide proper balance and to avoid the *&% happens" possibility. But I started easy and stuck to very lightly trafficed routes. It was around 4-5 months that I started really training outdoors - started with 30 or 35 for a long ride and then tried to add 5 miles every week. No problems at all with this gradual approach.
It's a joy to ride again w/out arthritic problems. Pre-surgery, I'd always look at my knees to see if it was going to be a ride-able day or not. Some days, the step over ROM would be problematic such that I'd have to move my knee out to get over the top of the pedal stroke. Then other muscles would start hurting, and I'd have to limp home practicing one-legged pedaling to give each hip/leg short breaks. Sometimes now I'll get a smile during a ride to look down and see those knees keeping a nice straight line.
Spencer, it'd be good to meet you some time, given our proximity. Based on my therapist's recommendation, I rode the shorter (80 mile) Tour de Tucson (I think she was more concerned about the demolition derby nature of the ride), so now I'm looking for a good century or maybe one of those Picacho TTs - or both.
Below is my last Tour de Tucson (2007 edition) on my God-given hips:

Keep lookin up,
-Dirk
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 12:52:24 AM by DirkV (formerly bigmo) »
Bilateral 02/08, 03/08, Dr. Ball

sroberts

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 09:02:00 AM »
Hey Dirk,

Great job on the El Tour! I bet it feels so good to be able to ride pain free. Are you in Phoenix?

Saguaro Velo Cycling Club puts on the Picacho TT's as well as the hill climb TT's at Kitt Peak and Mt Lemmon. I live about 20 min away (by bike) from the base of Lemmon.

It'd be great to meet you too. We could ride Lemmon- best ride around these parts.
My email is: magoo451@msn.com

take care,

spencer

sgoulet

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 09:47:39 AM »
Hey Dirk,

Good to hear from you.  I am now about 1 month post op and feeling good.  Have been doing some spinning (indoors) and feeling great.  It's nice to be able to cycle pain free.  It's funny but I actually ride my bike better than I am walking right now  :)

I used to live in Arizona (Tuscon) and know there is some great riding around there -- much better than Houston where I live.

I am going to cut back on road bike racing this year but am going to try to get in great riding shape.  I have a goal to win the state TT championship for Cat 4 - and I think I will have a relatively god chance of that goal.  Due to my previously bad right hip, riding in the TT position really hurt.  There appears to be no pain in my hip now -- although I have not tested it yet in the road.

Maybe I can come out for one of Spencer's "training" sessions (I used to be a triathlete) and we can do several days of riding together on some of the epic hills around Phoenix and Tuscon.

Steve

sroberts

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 10:04:55 AM »
Hey Steve,

I hear you on feeling better on the bike than walking. I had the same experience. In fact when I started teaching at 4 wks post op I would come into the spinning room with my cane. Getting on and off the bike was the tough part at first.

Come on out to Tucson, we'll have a training camp! We've got great roads, and trails!
Also an olympic size pool and access to weights at the JCC where I work. And that's not all-
4 spinning classes/wk available at 2 other clubs! If you act now you get all that plus the ginzu knives!

take care,

spencer

DirkV

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 11:06:37 PM »
Hi Spencer and Steve, Good to make acquaintance.
Re: resurfaced cyclists, I know that we also have Karen from Phoenix area as another a surface hippy. And then there's Brian, the fellow hockey goalie, who has done a full triathlon (pre-surgery).
I think we're lucky in our choice of activity that cycling is minimally impaired by arthritis. Before surgery, cycling was the activity I could keep doing the longest, and after, it's probably one of the first to come back. Both pre- and post-surgery, I too could ride better that walk. As recovery continues, it's great to be able to do both -- and more  :) .
Spencer, I may take you up on that Mt Lemmon ride. I just hope you don't mind eating a piece of pie at the top while you wait for me.
-Dirk
Bilateral 02/08, 03/08, Dr. Ball

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat