+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: BHR with Mr. Mcminn UK  (Read 5613 times)

saadjallad

BHR with Mr. Mcminn UK
« on: January 01, 2009, 06:07:09 PM »
Hi Everybody!  

I love this website.  Thank you Pat for being a friend and a source of valuable information.  Your site means alot to us all.  This is my story.

My name is Saad Jallad.  I am 28 years old 5"10 and 160 lbs.  I played BASKETBALL my entire life (high school, college, and intramurals).

In 2006 I was diagnosed with severe OA by Dr. Klimkowitz in Georgetown University in D.C.  After a couple failed cortisone attempts I travelled to Vail CO.  There Dr. Philipon did a MICROFRACTURE HIP ARTHROSCOPY with the idea of cleaning some arthritis out, repairing a damaged labarem and poking some holes to regenirate cartilage.  The procedure did nothing except make my condition much worse than it was.  The clinic said the arthritis was too advanced and the hip needed a resurfacing.

I had a BHR done with Mr. Mcminn in Birmingham UK on December 11th 2008.  I am at three weeks.  I am currently walking with one crutch with some pain.  I dont do much Physical Therapy but I do move around alot with the crutches.

Are there any basketball players out there?  Have you been able to play again normally?  Why are the U.K recovering protocalls so much more stringent than the US?

I hope you all have a happy new year and all the best for 2009, best sj

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: BHR with Mr. Mcminn UK
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 07:14:07 PM »
Hi SJ

Thanks for your kind words about the website.  I am glad you found your way to Hip Talk. It is a great group of freindly, supportive folks.

Gosh - you are so young.  I am glad you found out about Mr. McMinn and got a BHR.  It should serve you well since you want to stay active.

I always felt the US doctors were far more conservative in their recovery protocols than the overseas surgeons.  I went to Dr. De Smet in Belgium who has done over 3000 hip resurfacings.  My recovery was very quick and easy. 

Perhaps Mr. McMinn was more conservative since you had a difficult problem with your hip.  It is better to be a little consevative in the early stages of your recovery than to do too much.  You have a whole life ahead of you to use that great new hip - just give it a little time to heal and become strong.

Good Luck to you and Happy New Year!

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Tekka

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 07:26:41 PM »
Hi SJ, nice to here your story so far, i'm due my re-surface end of this month with Mr McMinn..what do you mean when you say the recovery protocol's are strict in the UK.

I don't play basketball except with my son who can now batter me, but i do teach boxing and I am a very active MMA and still mixing it with mid twenties guys, i am 42, that said i think i will have a serious look at my training as i do every five or so years, the reason i say this is i want my re-surf to last as long as possible. I read all these impressive stories of the guys and gals who have got back to serious training and in some cases competition...i recently emailed Scott Copperfield the most impressive Martial Artist in the states and he is one year after his re-surf and my god he looks good...check him out on you tube.

How long were you in hospital, was it the Priory hospital and how did the staff look after you and did you have a spinal block and how was that !! loads of questions i know but i'm starting to get a little wobberly.

Peace
Terry
LBHR 23/01/2009 Mr Mcminn

Mudpro

• My Work
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 08:11:39 PM »
Yes, Saad.  Could you post some more details of what you mean when you reference the more conservative PT protocols in the UK.  I think we would all benefit greatly by comparing these with what we are using, especially when you consider the experience of Dr. McMinn and the short time the BHR has been available in the US.

Are you returning to the DC area?  I'm just 35 miles away in Annapolis, perhaps we could hobble down to one of the Irish pubs in town and have a pint some time and compare notes...
Bill
BHR on 12-10-08
OS:  Dr. Henry Boucher, Union Memorial Hospital, Baltimore, MD

stevel

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 06:49:06 PM »
Hi Saad,

I've read the various post-op protocols from several US and European doctors web sites.  Depending on the exercise or activity, some US doctors could be more conservative or more liberal than European doctors.  For instance,  Dr. McMinn (England) doesn't recommend downhill skiing until 1 year post-op whereas Dr. DeSmet (Belgium), Dr. Schmalzried (US) and Dr. Ure (US) allow it at 3 months.  Dr. Su, Dr. Gross & Dr. Rogerson (US) allow it at 6 months.

I started outpatient physical therapy 7 days after surgery, as Dr. Su has three phases of physical therapy (1 day - 1 month, 1 month - 4 months and 4 months to 1 year), and each phase may overlap depending on the condition of the patient.  Since Dr. Su uses the neck capsule preservation approach, the hip is more stable and physical therapy can begin after surgery.

At 3 months, 5 days post-op, I'm looking out the window in Douglas, Alaska, at about a foot of fresh, dry "champagne" powder and I'm dreaming of downhill skiing, but alas I need to wait until March 29, 2009 when I will be 6 months post-op.  Oh well, I can always try snow shoeing!
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

MRoberts

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 09:37:25 AM »
Hello Saad,
My Doctor (Dr. Dyreby, Rhinelander WI) trained with Mr. Mcminn.  It’s kind of interesting, when I first officially met with him, back in June of 2008 (I personally know the doc and had many off the record conversations with him about resurfacing prior) he stated that because of my size (6’4”, 230 pounds) and the relative newness of the operation he would want me on two crutches for at least 6 weeks.  This seemed very restrictive compared to what I was reading from patient experience on Surface Hippy.  I actually pursued using a different doctor for many months, but the insurance company made it very difficult.  Again after another out of the office conversation with Dr. Dryeby where I learned he had again just met with Dr. Mcminn, he had changed some of his post op protocols.  I think it is a combination of gaining more experience and building off what other surgeons have experienced and share.  But I learned that I would be able to be weight bearing as soon as my body could handle it, also none of the restriction normally put on total hip replacement patients would apply.   I am completely paraphrasing here and I am not a doctor so please someone correct me if I mis-speak,  according to what I remember from my conversation with Dr. Dryeby, Dr. Mcminn and others had brought forth studies that potentially showed that weight bearing on the joint and bones could actually be beneficial.  Most problems with hip resurfacing show up in the first 6 months, many times it is a femoral neck fracture so the key is making that bone stronger.  My understanding is that means weight bearing, but NO impact.  And it’s best to have NO impact exercise for 12 months.  Most of us have been babying these joints for years leading up to the surgery and the body makes natural compensations by shifting work to the good leg, thus even though you may see no muscle atrophy you still could be losing bone strength.

Again I am not a doctor, but as an engineer this makes total sense to me, so even though it is going to be very hard I am going to listen to my doctor and avoid impact sports for at least a year, and do everything possible to get that bone strength back to normal. 

I think post op protocols are going to be a ever changing item as doctors gain more experience.  I went with a resurfacing doc who would be called inexperienced by most, however this doc has done thousands and thousands of total hips and I probably know and have talked to 10-20 patients or family of patients some hips, some knees, and even two resurfacing patients and no one ever had a bad word to say, plus everyone I talked to including other doctors talked about how meticulous he is.  I even happen to know the medical device salesman who supplies the drills saws and tools to my surgeon and he said I couldn’t go wrong with this doc.  That coupled with knowing him personally and the knowledge I gained from this site gave me the confidence to go ahead with the surgery with only minimal reservation, and most off that was directed internally as in “do I really need to be doing this.”

Anyway good luck, I hope things go well for you.

Mike 
Mike

Right BHR on 12-19-08
OS:  Dr. James R Dyreby, Jr., Northland Orthopedic Associates, Rhinelander, Wisconsin

shelley

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 10:38:59 AM »
Hi there
I had BHR with Mr McMinn last September and a post op consultation in November, when I asked him again about high impact exercise. He was most emphatic that the bone takes a full year to strengthen fully, so no skiing or running  for a year, but that after that time my risk was no greater than any normal person.
The first six weeks post surgery is a time for healing muscle and soft tissue. The crutches or sticks are used as a support in case muscle should give way at all, thereby avoiding a fall. After six weeks it is important to do both the exercises given at the consultation and  also to do ROM exercises in a pool (everyday for two to three months, 20 minutes each time). I coupled this with exercise in the gym – treadmill, cycle, cross trainer and rowing machine.
Mr McMinn has case histories on his website that show people running after only a few weeks but Mr McMinn’s reaction when I asked him about these people was to tell me that they’re mad! Doing themselves no good in the long term.
All in all, we each get only one shot (hopefully!) at rehabilitation, so really it just pays to get it as right as possible the first time!

Tekka

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 01:04:12 PM »
Hi Shelley

I am 17 days post-op with Mr McMinn LBHR and like you the protocols are strict, I am on two crutches for 4-6weeks although I am feeling pretty strong. I feel his advice must be adhered to, as he is the man who as given us this new hip.

Can I ask you when you starting sleeping on your side, what was your experience like in the BMI and who did you see afterwards..was it Chandra or Joseph.

Regards
Terry

shelley

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 11:44:38 AM »
Hi Terry,
I adhered to all of the advice (scared not to, anyway) all through. The PT in BMI told me not to be walking for more than a mile at 6 weeks post op, to do the PT exercises 3 times daily and to lie flat on the bed for 20 minutes, twice daily. At 6 weeks post op scar tissue begins to form, which is why it’s important to exercise from then for ROM.
The experience in BMI was little short of perfect! It was my first experience of surgery and I was very apprehensive but nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff, including catering. I felt very fortunate that I experienced no pain whatsoever, either in hospital or since.
I slept on the un-operated side on the third night after surgery, with a pillow between my legs. The operated side was quite a lot longer, simply because it was too uncomfortable, certainly whilst the staples were still there! I don’t remember exactly when but it was certainly well before 6 weeks as I recall sleeping on that side with the pillow between the legs.
I did swop the crutches for one stick around the house but kept to the crutches when out and about. If nothing else they’re a good warning to other people that you have something wrong and they should give you a wide berth. If all else fails they make a good swiping stick!
What do you mean by afterwards? In the hospital I saw Chandra every day. At 6 weeks post op consultation I saw Chandra for the examination and exercise demo’s, then Mr McMinn came and looked at the new x-rays, had a chat (mostly about skiing) told me I could do anything I wanted but definitely not to ski or run for a year, and told me to come back in ten years time!
All in all a fantastic experience!
Hope it’s as good for you.
Regards, Shelley

Tekka

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 02:07:50 PM »
Shelley,

Yea, I could'nt get over the level of care at the BMI..I joked with my wife if it was'nt for the operation it would have been a lovely break.

What I meant was, who looked after you on he ward! Chandra or Joseph..I to was looked in by Chandra.

I have my first pt organised for this week but I am doing my home PT and I feel pretty good and seeing a daily improvement. I'm glad you mentioned when you slept on your side, I'm going to try that tonight.

Many thanks

Terry

shelley

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 03:33:18 AM »
Hi Terry,

What PT are you going to be doing outside of home? Were you advised by BMI? No-one ever mentioned it to me and it was one of the things that I never thought to ask. I'll be interested to know how it goes, if you'd let me know

Shelley

stevel

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 02:09:58 PM »
Hi Shelley,

Interesting to know Dr. McMinn's position regarding returning to running and downhill skiing (e.g. wait a year).  I like his response regarding "MAD" or "NUTS" or "CRAZY" patients that do running after a few weeks!  We just don't have to follow these patients over the cliff.  I should note that it is "BORING" to rehab for 6 months to 1 year and just do low impact sports.  Particularly when we are having a record snow year.  My favorite impact sports are racketball, downhill skiing (black diamond runs) and alpine hunting.  Fortunately, I have only 1 1/2 months to go to resume impact sports with Dr. Su's 6 month post-op protocol.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 05:10:39 PM by stevel »
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

saadjallad

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 09:02:17 PM »
Hi Pat, thanks for the reply.  I think you are right.  Recovery has been a little more difficult for me because of my prior surgery to  the same hip.  Im at 12 weeks.  I still limp but not nearly as much as before the surgery.  I feel now that i am at 70%.  Still feel soreness all up and in the joint,  Hope the swimming will make it all better. 

Hi Terry.  Sorry it took me so long.  Glad you are doing well.  Im sure Chandra and Joseph answered all your questions!

Hi Mud pro. The Mcminn emphasises no impact sports for a year where other Dr.s allow it @ 6 months and sometimes even 3!  Thats why it was odd to me to hear all these stories about people physically active so quickly. The post op exercises are very simple and are only mandatory the first 2 months.  The rest are "do it yourself exercises and swimming.  I wish I had a more intense pt program.  Mcminns is very vague.

Thanks sj and look forward to reading your posts!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear