+-

Advertisement

Poll

Did you have clunking or clicking post op?

I had clunking after surgery
122 (34.6%)
The clunking stopped after 3 months
9 (2.5%)
The clunking stopped after 6 months
11 (3.1%)
The clunking has never stopped
40 (11.3%)
The clunking did not cause pain
95 (26.9%)
Clunking is worse after strenuous activities
19 (5.4%)
I had no clunking at any time
57 (16.1%)

Total Members Voted: 225

Author Topic: Clunking and Clicking Poll  (Read 46174 times)

larry2458

Re: Clunking and Clicking Poll
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2009, 03:39:38 AM »
i'm 8 months post-op and still get clunking,especially if i've been stretching or shifting position.i've never had it when i've been out walking though and seeing as most people get it i'm not worried.
the first time it happens though,all sorts of things go through your mind !!!
lbmh 16th october 2008

sammyjojo

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2009, 06:52:10 PM »
I find the results of these polls to be very interesting.  I have also felt this like-bone-popping in my leg.  I think it comes from my knee area.  I am now 2 1/2 weeks post op.

Gav

• Preston, Lancashire, England
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2009, 01:39:32 PM »
I have some clunking when I tap my foot up and down on the floor of my office, and also whilst riding the stationary bike.

I'm not too concerned about it as is doesn't hurt!!!!!!! ::)

And also Physio says "Not to Worry"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 06:51:08 PM by Gav »
4th September 2009, Mr McLauchlan, Preston

DePuy ASR  Right Hip-

No worries now!!!!!!!!!!!

mpschrader

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2009, 09:31:05 AM »
I'm a little confused about clunking.  If I'm clunking will it be obvious?  What does it feel like?  Does it happen immediately or down the road.  I'm 2 weeks post and I don't think I've clunked. ???

Mark

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2009, 10:16:54 AM »
Hi Mark

If you had some clunking - you would feel it in your hip and sometimes almost hear it.  It is the two components of the cap and cup separating a little bit and then coming back together.  Not everyone has it.  It does not hurt, but is a strange sensation.  I had it right from the begining.

You might never have any.  Nothing to worry about.  Don't feel bad - be glad you are on the road to recovery and don't worry about anything that is not happening to you ;)

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

KayakDeb

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2010, 10:04:40 AM »
I call it "thunking" because it's more like a soft sensation and not a noise?  Kind of freaky when it first happens - but I only experience it when I turn/bend just right.  I thought it was just tendons/ligaments sliding over the device??

johnoke

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2010, 10:20:38 AM »
just to be clear, according to Dr. Phillips, the "clunking" isn't the ball and socket, it's the nerve or muscles sliding over the new hip, slipping into place. It will continue until they strengthen and hold their places better. If the ball came out of the socket even a millimeter, you'd know about it from the pain. It will go a way as long as you continue working and stretching.

Jimdg

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2011, 09:16:24 AM »
What ever it is, the poll was a jinks.  3 and a half weeks plus, I fill out the poll and a day later, the clunking/clacking begins.  I mostly notice it when I have been standing for long periods and then shift my weight.  Should have waited a while longer to fill out the poll. 

I will take the clicking and clacking and my new found range of motion and being pain free over the pre op pain any day!

Life with a BHR is wonderful!

hernanu

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2011, 09:31:59 AM »
glad you've got a good attitude about it, it still happens every now and then when I'm doing some deep stretching (7 & 10 months, bi-hippy).
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

FlbrkMike

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2011, 12:37:30 PM »
I get a little big of clunking but not much.  Like Hernan, usually when stretching.

I was squeaking for a couple of days, but not anymore.  Does that count?
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

Stuart

« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2011, 06:53:18 PM »
My left one does all the clunking which happens getting up and down, I do this up to 30 times a day changing water meters so it is a constant thing. No pain in this hip although the other side doesn't clunk but gives pain constantly.

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2011, 07:00:24 PM »
     I'm a lunk head but not clunking...yet.  Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

fenceman

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2012, 03:15:29 PM »
I still click after 3-1/2 years.  Mostly when I am standing and slightly moving or during exercises.  It does not hurt and I am use to it.
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2012, 04:28:42 PM »
No clunking yet, other than my head!

Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

larry2458

« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2012, 05:14:31 AM »
I still click after 3-1/2 years.  Mostly when I am standing and slightly moving or during exercises.  It does not hurt and I am use to it.
i still clunk and click in the morning too........after 3 1/2 years, no pain for me neither and i'm fitter than i've been for years
lbmh 16th october 2008

Rob6297

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2012, 12:55:21 PM »
I have started to clunk.  No pain just a weird sensation/feeling.  It happens mostly after a PT session or during it.  Long walk can make it start too. (long walk is relative to recovery).  This website has definitely put me at ease with it....or I would have been back to the Dr. wondering  what was going on!
Joe
RBHR Dr. Su 4/20/12
Joe
RBHR 4/20/12 Dr. Su and Victoria

Wyoming Kim

« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2012, 07:22:48 PM »
THis is totally my opinion about "clunking"....The noise I think is not an audible noise but a sound that our inner ear picks up....fwiw
8/29/12 Right BHR...Dr. Cook, Leawood, KS
48MM Head/ 54MM Cup
2/1/17 Left BHR...Dr. Cook, Leawood, KS
48MM Head/ 54MM Cup

BrianMc

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2013, 10:41:15 PM »
 ??? I'm 8 months Post OP.  I'm not sure if I have clunking, or just a snap of a tendon or what.  I can occasionally feel something that seems like something is moving inside.  No pain at all.  However, I had the same sensation BEFORE Surgery, so my guess its not the joint, but a tendon.  I've run, taken stairs 2 or 3 (to see if I could) at a time and never a peep out of the hip.  If I felt something its likely to be in a "no -load" situation, where I may stretch to reach something.   This topic made me curious, so I stood up, leaned lean to one side with my weight on the non-BHR leg, and kicked my lower leg back and forth rapidly.  This would be similar to a motion where you are trying to shake something off your shoe, away from your body.  I can feel / hear a little of what may be "clunking" that I do not get from the other side.  I dont notice anything that would seem like it could dislocate.  But unless I'm a dog trying to scratch, I would never do this motion. 
Also, realizing the mechanics of the device, and the fact that most or all of the natural ligaments were removed during surgery, I would expect some clunking in that situation.
Right BHR 5-3-2012

kwarendorf

• LBHR 2/13/2009
    • Kyle's Kitchen
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2013, 04:22:12 PM »
THis is totally my opinion about "clunking"....The noise I think is not an audible noise but a sound that our inner ear picks up....fwiw

I think this is absolutely true. I would ask others, standing right next to me, if they heard the 'clunking' and the universal answer was no. Yet I heard it loud and clear!

Consider the insult that was done to your hip during surgery. It takes a while for things to settle back into place, but it does. I'm one month shy of 4 years out and I haven;t heard or flet any cliking/clunking in a long time :)

Submitted FWIW,

Kyle

morganedwards

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2013, 03:55:06 PM »
I was standing leaning over a counter at 2 weeks postop when I felt my repaired hip do a little slide in the socket.  This was a very strange sensation.  I am now 16 months postop and have made a great recovery but still occasionally feel my hip "slide" a bit and it also "clunks".  The sliding sensation usually happens when leaning over from the waist like when shaving.  My clunking started when I became more active.  It's most noticeable first thing in the morning and pretty much goes away as my joint warms up from activity.  I walk about 1000' first thing every morning to get the newspaper with the last 500' up a grade.  As soon as I start walking uphill my hip starts vigorously clunking away.  This has no real sensation although I can press my thumb hard against the joint and can feel it move with each step.  I did this with my wife's thumb and she could feel it move as well.  Dr. Pritchett was my surgeon and he says that this is normal although some patients never have this occur.  He even told me that he has one patient that he's done both hips where one thunks and the other doesn't.  My clunking does disconcern me a little because of what seems to me as excessive metal on metal contact when it happens.
RBHR, Dr. Pritchett 9/13/11

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal