+-

Poll

Did you have clunking or clicking post op?

I had clunking after surgery
118 (34.3%)
The clunking stopped after 3 months
9 (2.6%)
The clunking stopped after 6 months
11 (3.2%)
The clunking has never stopped
38 (11%)
The clunking did not cause pain
92 (26.7%)
Clunking is worse after strenuous activities
19 (5.5%)
I had no clunking at any time
57 (16.6%)

Total Members Voted: 219

Author Topic: Clunking and Clicking Poll  (Read 40687 times)

Wooster97

Re: Clunking and Clicking Poll
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2013, 10:24:31 PM »
This poll and all of the comments put my mind at ease while I was in the middle of freaking out.  I thought I was imagining the clicking sound, but my husband just heard it from three feet away!  I'm not experiencing any pain, so I'm not as worried.  I am so grateful for all of the information that everyone who has gone through this before me has posted.  Whenever I'm frustrated, concerned, scared, or simply tired of trying to recover from the surgery, I always end up reading posts and stories here.  I don't feel so alone, and it gives me some sort of push to do the exercises and stay positive.

Thank you,
Christina
RH, uncemented Biomet, Dr. Gross & Lee Webb
4/24/2013
RH, uncemented Biomet, Dr. Gross & Lee Webb
4/24/2013

hernanu

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2013, 01:24:51 PM »
I think a good chunk of us are clickin' and clunkin' machines until later on the supporting muscles get strong enough to stop it, Christina.

I had most of my clunking happen when I was in front of the bathroom mirror, shaving, brushing teeth and admiring myself (BIG  ;D )

I think part of it may have been that it was probably the quietest place I was in all day, or that in standing there and being concentrated on the blade and all, I was shifting sideways a lot. Whatever it is, at 2+ years it is almost nonexistent, once in a while I get a clunk, chuckle and go on.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Jason0411

• Hotelier and Volunteer Lifeboat Crewman.
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2013, 09:36:28 AM »
I am beggining to think that the surgeon builds in a special clunk system to remind us all of the good work they have done. My clunking is now minimal but every so often I feel a little clunk. If I didn't clunk I wouldn't really remember I had a new hip most of the time.
RBHR Mr McMinn 6th December 2011.
Tripped and crushed head under cap 31st January 2012.
Self repairing.

Dave Like Festus

« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2015, 12:04:25 AM »
I clunk occasionally and yes the first couple times you think YIKES what's wrong? ??? :-\ :o ??? No pain. Many of my other joints click and pop at times which I assume is the ligaments or tendons snapping over bone outcroppings. I asked Dr. Brooks and he said it was a minute 'opening' or dislocation and then the resultant clunk back into the socket. He said it was nothing to worry about and most likely would go away over time.

Again...no pain or other awkward feelings when it happens. Maybe a couple times a week. Sometimes I can get it to do it with the leg lift exercises while standing ( like marching) fairly high.

Otherwise as has been noted repeatedly. no pain and I often don't even think of the hip. What a great thing that my hip OA was totally fixed! 8)

8 months, Right hip, Dr. Peter Brooks
David
RBHR 8-6-2014, Dr. Peter Brooks

sloth

« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2019, 01:42:11 PM »
I'm coming upon the end of my 3rd year post bilateral HR and still have a clunk in my right hip.  I can create the clunk at will by bending my hip a certain way.  There is no pain but it's definitely audible and you can feel the slight clunking sensation.  Last year an MRI and xrays were taken and everything, in the surgeon's viewpoint, was perfect.  Yesterday, I experienced a noise never heard before also in my right hip.  I had been doing some intensive rototilling of the garden and like with other strenuous activities, have felt some tightening in the hips.  When I went to take off my shoes I heard this weird noise sort of a muffled squeak/grind coming from the hip area.  This was extremely disconcerting as I thought I really did something to my implant.  I've been active my whole life, religiously doing strength training, stretching and cardio both before and since my surgeries.  I've been doing exercises prescribed to me by physical therapists after the surgeries along with an assortment of hip strengthening and overall strength conditioning.

I'd appreciate any advise as to alleviate the clunking and insite into what may be causing my newly experienced noise.

Thanks,
Jim

Mission Statement
Surface Hippy presents information about hip resurfacing. It does not provide medical advice.
It is designed to support, not to replace, the relationship between patient and clinician.
Advertising - Revenue from this site is derived from commercial advertising and individual donations. Any advertisement is distinguished by the word "advertisement"
Privacy - Surface Hippy does not share email addresses or personal information with any group or organization.
Content - Surface Hippy is not controlled or influenced by any medical companies, doctors or hospitals.
All content is controlled by Patricia Walter - Joint Health Sites LLC 2005 - 2018 Web design by Patricia Walter.

Hip TalkModeration

Authority

The Hip Talk Discussion Group or forum is moderated on a Daily basis by Patricia Walter.

The moderator and forum members are not regarded as health professionals.

Complementarity

The information provided on this forum is designed to support, not replace, the direct relationship between patients and health professionals.

Privacy

We remind you that this forum is public and any message can be read, used, reproduced and cited by all.
You do have the option to delete your messages. However, under exceptional circumstances, you can contact the moderator to do so. Thus, please take care regarding the information that you post.

The moderator and members should conduct themselves at all times with respect and honesty.

By using our forums, you agree to post information that is true and correct to the best of your knowledge and is of your personal experience. If the information you post is not personal experience, we request you to provide sources (references, links, etc..) whenever it is relevant and possible.

You are not allowed to post advertisements, whether in the form of text links or banners, for example.

Please keep your comments positive and polite. If you have a disagreement with another forum member, moderator or the site owner; please use the the private message feature of this forum or email the member. We try to avoid emotional conflicts on the discussion group and we will do so by removing posts and banning those that cause problems.

The moderator reserves the right to delete any messages deemed inappropriate without notifying the author. In cases of abuse, the moderator reserve the right to ban a member of the forum. In both instances, an explanation will be provided if user requests.

Recent Posts

Re: Two weeks out and never felt better by catfriend
Today at 03:13:55 AM

Re: Hip flexor problem by greg62
Yesterday at 02:01:46 PM

Re: Two weeks out and never felt better by rday12
Yesterday at 12:46:52 PM

Re: Hip flexor problem by rday12
Yesterday at 12:39:22 PM

Advertisements

HONcode

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

HTML ezBlock

View My Stats