+-

Advertisement

Poll

Did you have clunking or clicking post op?

I had clunking after surgery
122 (34.6%)
The clunking stopped after 3 months
9 (2.5%)
The clunking stopped after 6 months
11 (3.1%)
The clunking has never stopped
40 (11.3%)
The clunking did not cause pain
95 (26.9%)
Clunking is worse after strenuous activities
19 (5.4%)
I had no clunking at any time
57 (16.1%)

Total Members Voted: 225

Author Topic: Clunking and Clicking Poll  (Read 46120 times)

Wooster97

Re: Clunking and Clicking Poll
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2013, 06:24:31 PM »
This poll and all of the comments put my mind at ease while I was in the middle of freaking out.  I thought I was imagining the clicking sound, but my husband just heard it from three feet away!  I'm not experiencing any pain, so I'm not as worried.  I am so grateful for all of the information that everyone who has gone through this before me has posted.  Whenever I'm frustrated, concerned, scared, or simply tired of trying to recover from the surgery, I always end up reading posts and stories here.  I don't feel so alone, and it gives me some sort of push to do the exercises and stay positive.

Thank you,
Christina
RH, uncemented Biomet, Dr. Gross & Lee Webb
4/24/2013
RH, uncemented Biomet, Dr. Gross & Lee Webb
4/24/2013

hernanu

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2013, 09:24:51 AM »
I think a good chunk of us are clickin' and clunkin' machines until later on the supporting muscles get strong enough to stop it, Christina.

I had most of my clunking happen when I was in front of the bathroom mirror, shaving, brushing teeth and admiring myself (BIG  ;D )

I think part of it may have been that it was probably the quietest place I was in all day, or that in standing there and being concentrated on the blade and all, I was shifting sideways a lot. Whatever it is, at 2+ years it is almost nonexistent, once in a while I get a clunk, chuckle and go on.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Jason0411

• Hotelier and Volunteer Lifeboat Crewman.
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2013, 05:36:28 AM »
I am beggining to think that the surgeon builds in a special clunk system to remind us all of the good work they have done. My clunking is now minimal but every so often I feel a little clunk. If I didn't clunk I wouldn't really remember I had a new hip most of the time.
RBHR Mr McMinn 6th December 2011.
Tripped and crushed head under cap 31st January 2012.
Self repairing.

Dave Like Festus

« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2015, 08:04:25 PM »
I clunk occasionally and yes the first couple times you think YIKES what's wrong? ??? :-\ :o ??? No pain. Many of my other joints click and pop at times which I assume is the ligaments or tendons snapping over bone outcroppings. I asked Dr. Brooks and he said it was a minute 'opening' or dislocation and then the resultant clunk back into the socket. He said it was nothing to worry about and most likely would go away over time.

Again...no pain or other awkward feelings when it happens. Maybe a couple times a week. Sometimes I can get it to do it with the leg lift exercises while standing ( like marching) fairly high.

Otherwise as has been noted repeatedly. no pain and I often don't even think of the hip. What a great thing that my hip OA was totally fixed! 8)

8 months, Right hip, Dr. Peter Brooks
David
RBHR 8-6-2014, Dr. Peter Brooks

sloth

« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2019, 09:42:11 AM »
I'm coming upon the end of my 3rd year post bilateral HR and still have a clunk in my right hip.  I can create the clunk at will by bending my hip a certain way.  There is no pain but it's definitely audible and you can feel the slight clunking sensation.  Last year an MRI and xrays were taken and everything, in the surgeon's viewpoint, was perfect.  Yesterday, I experienced a noise never heard before also in my right hip.  I had been doing some intensive rototilling of the garden and like with other strenuous activities, have felt some tightening in the hips.  When I went to take off my shoes I heard this weird noise sort of a muffled squeak/grind coming from the hip area.  This was extremely disconcerting as I thought I really did something to my implant.  I've been active my whole life, religiously doing strength training, stretching and cardio both before and since my surgeries.  I've been doing exercises prescribed to me by physical therapists after the surgeries along with an assortment of hip strengthening and overall strength conditioning.

I'd appreciate any advise as to alleviate the clunking and insite into what may be causing my newly experienced noise.

Thanks,
Jim

MarvinB

« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2021, 10:18:40 AM »
Beginning month 5 after resurfacing and still clunking.  Mostly when bending forward, yoga stretches, standing at the sink brushing my teeth.  No pain, just a weird sensation like something is falling out of place.  It was rather disconcerting at first, like the implant was moving.  Just the muscles moving over the top of it.  Nothing audible, just a feeling.
MarvinB
-RH Biomet U/C by Dr. Gross and Lee Webb 1/4/21
Ready for fun in ‘21!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat