+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Is age a barrier to successful hip resurfacing?  (Read 2881 times)

domino

Is age a barrier to successful hip resurfacing?
« on: January 03, 2009, 03:36:44 AM »
I had a successful resurfacing 4 years ago and will soon need to have my other hip attended to. I am a 58 year olf female and my surgeon said that unde r60 is crucial for a female. I am interested to hear  opinions and experiences from others. Thanks

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Is age a barrier to successful hip resurfacing?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 07:53:29 PM »
Hi Domino

I was 61 when I had my hip resurfaced by Dr. De Smet of Belgium in 2006.  Many surgeons in the US tend not to do older women.  I know of several older than I was. One was 67.  Age is not the only conisderation in determining if you are a candidate.

Your bone density and activity level are also very important.  Good bone density usually means that you are a candidate.

The best way to find out if you are a candidate is to have one of the really experienced surgeons look at your x-rays and evaluate your current condition.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

blondie

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 11:24:17 PM »
Hi Domino
  My name is Karen and i had my right hip resurfaced 8/29/06 with Dr. Amstutz from the Joint Replacement Institute
in Los Angeles.  I was 62 and obviously postmenopausal woman with a dancer's body and very little to store estrogen.
My bone density is -3.5 in the femur and i was a surgeon's nightmare for a hip resurface!  Amtutz really will resurface
anything he can that walks in the door if they are willing to take the risk of a possible fracture and do the rehab and
follow his restrictions.  I did all of the above and i am delighted with my surgeon and my outcome.  I am back to dancing jazz and do pilates on all the equipment once a week.  You need to find an experienced surgeon and if you have been active all of your life...i have danced since i was five....your bone density maybe compromised because of
age and estrogen, but your bone integrity which is the infrastructure of the bone may be good.  Mine was and when he
went in, the bone was as hard as rock...not soft ...just filled with holes or cysts.  good luck and find an experienced
surgeon...Karen

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 07:23:33 AM »
Hi Karen

Thanks for posting and telling your story.  Us gals over 60 have to stick together!!!

Many of us were good candidates for hip resurfacing too - we just have to tell the world that we are here and had sucessful hip resurfacings.

Most of the US doctors just don't even want to think about doing most women over 55 years old.  The overseas doctors are willing to do many more older women.  You do need a certain amount of good bone density - but it is a case by case determination.  Just because you are older does not mean you can't be a candidate. 

Older women should make an effort to work with the really experienced hip surgeons if they want resurfacing.  Most of the inexperinced surgeons won't even consider looking at you.

Good Luck to all those 60+ ladies - we are young at heart and still have great bodies wanting to be active!

Pat at 64 years young with almost a 3 year old BHR   :D

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

stevel

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 12:48:08 PM »
Hi Domino,

You need to inquire about your insurance coverage.  I've heard some insurance companies start scrutinizing and may deny hip resurfacings based on age and gender.  I had my LBHR done at age 55 at 1 month past my birthday.  I was pre-certified by my insurance carrier for the procedure prior to surgery.
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

blondie

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 02:21:23 AM »
Hi domino......I might add that i had and still have Kaiser insurance and they did not even do the procedure when i had
mine done...now they do but they will not see a woman over 55 for this.  However, medicare paid for my surgery and if you go to the AARP site it discusses that medicare paid for this surgery before it was approved by the FDA in the US..
hope they keep paying!!!! Karen

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal