+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: newbe after advice  (Read 2893 times)

paul

newbe after advice
« on: January 03, 2009, 10:54:46 PM »
Hi all , i had my left hip resurfaced 3 weeks ago . I have insignificant pain about the joint but..... my thigh muscle has been achey since the op . I feel if my thigh didn't ache i could do lots more . Is this unusual ? regards Paul ( i am 48 )

obxpelican

Re: newbe after advice
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 11:43:27 PM »
Paul,

It's very normal to have achy muscles post-op.   An achy muscle should not prevent you from doing some activities if your doctor allows it, or is the pain so bad you cannot do activities?

Make sure to stay on your pain meds, ice that hip and thigh muscle.  Keep in mind that you not long ago went through a major surgery, your femur was dislocated which can cause havoc to your muscles and tendons.

Take care and welcome to the forum.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Mudpro

• My Work
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 12:23:20 AM »
ICE is your friend!

I invested in a good ice pad (12" X 21") and boy has it been a life saver.  I ice down after every PT and after every long walk or bike ride.

I've had a bit of groin pain and I put a bag of frozen peas on that spot, 15 minutes later and I'm ready to go again.

Bill
BHR on 12-10-08
OS:  Dr. Henry Boucher, Union Memorial Hospital, Baltimore, MD

paul

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 06:57:34 AM »
THANKS , Regards Paul

sgoulet

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 09:20:40 AM »
Paul,

I had surgery on December 10 - a little over three weeks ago.  I also have pain in my thigh and groin area.  The pain is probably a 3 out of 10, but it has stayed the same since the operation.  It is an achy feel.  My ROM is also limited, but seems to be improving.  The strength in my thigh is improving daily.

What type of resurfacing did you have?

Good luck!

Steve
Right leg – Cormet hip resurfacing – Direct Anterior approach – Dr. Stefan Kreuzer
Houston, TX – December 10, 2008

paul

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 05:01:01 PM »
Hi All , i had my left hip resurfaced by Doc Len Walter in Dee Why , Sydney . Thanks Steve for your sound comments . I am a difficult patient as i don't like to sit still and just rest . How long do you keep your DVT socks on in general ? How long do you sleep with a pillow between your legs ? I won't see my surgeon till 29th as he is away . regards Paul

sgoulet

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 08:03:28 PM »
Paul,

I am obviously not a medical professional...

I wore my 'Ted" hose until day 4.  I was on Lovenox (injectible blood thinner) for thirteen days and then after that the doctor told me to take one aspirin daily (350 mg), also as a blood thinner.   

I should also state I am 43, had no swelling in my operated leg and probably at a lower risk for a clot.  I also got up and walked around quite frequently as I can be described as a Jack Russel Terrier in a human body...

Good luck.

Steve
Right leg – Cormet hip resurfacing – Direct Anterior approach – Dr. Stefan Kreuzer
Houston, TX – December 10, 2008

dvander

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 09:06:42 PM »
I couldn't sit still due to discomfort for most of first 4 weeks after surgery, up every hour or so 24/7.  Wore the TEDS for 4 weeks; Lovenox for 7 days then 325 mg aspirin for another 4 weeks.  Dealt with severe tendonitis from knee to foot on operated side particularly during week 3 & 4, but now at 7 weeks post op, consider it a blessing that it prevented me from doing too much.  I couldn't fall asleep with a pillow between my legs until week 6.  Best sleep has been in a recliner since surgery. 

As a principal of a school, I went back to work at day 13 on a limited basis (couch in office helped), but today, back from Christmas break and nearly 7 weeks, I feel like a new man.  Work was SO ENJOYABLE!  I love my new RBHR!!!

Best wishes on your recovery!

Dwight V

Mudpro

• My Work
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 09:18:08 PM »
I am a bit surprised by the wide range of variance in post-surgery protocols, i.e.,

I am still in the stockings and will be for a few more days until week 4, not day 4.

Same with blood thinners, Coumadin, I'm on those for a full 4 weeks (two days to go, yippie).

Walking with a cane is becoming easier every day and I actually slept for a few hours on my side last night (with two pillows of course), some are walking w/o support at the end of their first week.

Someone on here was talking about getting into a pool at week 2 or 3, I'm told to stay out until week 6.

Some protocols call for leg raises (assisted at first) right away, other say not to attempt until after 6 weeks.

I know that resurfacing is relatively new to the US, but wouldn't you think there would be a little more consistency among the post-operative process?
Bill
BHR on 12-10-08
OS:  Dr. Henry Boucher, Union Memorial Hospital, Baltimore, MD

wayne-0

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 12:37:48 AM »
I wore the teds for 2 weeks and Lovenox injections for 2 weeks. I still use the pillow but only when I lay on my side. I really don't think I need the pillow but it is quite comfortable to me when I'm on my side. I could go in the pool week 3 and I tried it out and it was very nice to get into a warm pool and get some of the weight off the joints as I exercised.
                                                 Wayne
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

PrairieGirl

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 12:13:02 PM »
Wow! There are a lot of differences...yet we're all surviving! Actually, I'm thriving thanks to BHR.

As for me...
TED hose for 6 weeks! Ugh!
Coumadin for 2 weeks, then Aspirin therapy for 4 weeks.
Lots of leg lifts from day 2.
No soaking in water, bath or pool, for 6 weeks.

My 6 week check up is Thursday. Can't wait to burn my TED hose and soak in a hot tub!

PrairieGirl
Age 38
Left BHR, Nov. 26, 2008
Dr. Scott Cook, Shawnee Mission Medical Center, Shawnee Mission, KS

PrairieGirl
Age 38
Left BHR, Nov. 26, 2008
Dr. Scott Cook, Shawnee Mission Medical Center, Shawnee Mission, KS

wayne-0

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 01:29:16 PM »
The burning of the teds is gonna be nice but just wait til you feel the hot tub. I can almost guarentee it will be one of the best hot tubs you have ever had ;D.
                                                Wayne
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

dvander

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 07:18:58 PM »
I have to give a positive word for the TEDS.  I loved mine.  My wife didn't enjoy putting them on, but they were so comfortable.  It was a sad day when they lost their effectiveness and it was time to give them up.  I have very warm feelings about my TEDDIES!!!

Dwight V
RBHR  11/18/08

hawaiieric

• Happy kiter here...
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 02:42:05 PM »
My doctor said as long as I do movements every hour like just move my ankle and wiggle my toes and then the other leg movements that you can try, that I can take my TEDs off when I leave the hospital.  I took them off for they were so tight from the post op surgery and that bugged me and my thigh.  I was not on blood thinners. I was in the hospital over nite for my surgery was at 11:30am and I woke up in my room around 2ish but was out of it till around 3.

I am now 9 weeks post op and ready to tackle the world again...in my own way and time.

Eric
remember, this is just my dr ok to me.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM