+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: updated Doctors list  (Read 1354 times)

emaxwell

updated Doctors list
« on: January 05, 2009, 11:06:20 AM »
Is the list of surgeons updated regularly? The reason I ask is that I don't see any listed for the state of Georgia but I know of a few Doctors who do perform the operation.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: updated Doctors list
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 11:29:31 AM »
Hi Emaxwell

Welcome to Hip Talk.

I am the owner/webmaster of the Surface Hippy Website.  This is my personal project to hep people learn about hip resurfacing.

If you read the notes on the List of Doctors - you will see only surgeons that have done at least 100 hip resurfacings are listed. There are a few exceptions from doctors I had listed a long time ago that do support hip resurfacing.

I only know about doctors that either write to me or that have their patients write to me.  I am not trying to list every surgeon in the world that does hip resurfacing.  I prefer to list the really experienced hip resurfacing surgeons that are very dedicated to hip resurfacing. They have a lot of happy patients whose stories I have posted on the website. There are a number of newer hip resurfacing surgeons that are just as happy to give a patient a THR as a resurfacing.  I don't want those kinds of doctors listed.  I want dedicated surgeons listed.  If you go to the medical manufactuers websites - you can get a list of every surgeon in the US that does hip resurfacing without any reference to their experience.

Too many people go to the less experienced surgeons and they will suggest a THR if the hip surgery looks difficult.  Hip resurfacing is a very difficult surgery and the learning curve is steep.  I have medical studies supporting that statement and I also go by what the really experienced surgeons tell me - it takes experineced to become consistent at hip resurfacing.  I would really prefer to only list surgeons that have done at least 200 or more surgeries, but have not changed my benchmark yet.

I hope that helps you understand my thinking behind my personal list of Hip Resurfacing Doctors.

Patricia Walter - Owner/Webmaster of the Surface Hippy Website
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

emaxwell

Re: updated Doctors list
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 12:43:11 PM »
thanks Pat, that was my understanding of the Doctor's list on your site. I was really curious if anyone knew of any Doctors in Atlanta that had done over 100 proceedures. I am looking at getting both hips done later this Spring and right now my choices seem to be Dr. Gross in South Carolina or Dr. Raterman down in Tampa.

thanks for all the great information it has been really helpful over the past 6 months as I have researched the proceedure

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat