+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: pre-surgery physical therapy  (Read 5680 times)

rossplanner

pre-surgery physical therapy
« on: January 06, 2009, 07:56:39 PM »
I have 10 weeks before my resurfacing surgery (right hip, Dr. Malchau, Mass General in Boston). I requested a referral from my primary care doctor for physical therapy to strengthen my hip muscles prior to surgery.  I hope this will help the recovery process. I saw the physical therapist today and she gave me a variety of exercises which I will add to my existing routine of stationary bike, stretching, and minor weight-lifting. The therapist also recommended walking or swimming in the local indoor pool. Now I just need to quit my job so I have enough time to do all this therapy!! I thought others might be interested in this approach.

Tarhoo2

Re: pre-surgery physical therapy
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 07:59:54 PM »
Based on my experience (I had both hips done 3-1/2 months apart) and listening to the experiences of others -- some who did pre-surgery exercises and some who didn't -- I strongly believe pre-surgery exercises significantly affect the rate of recovery.  It added about 30-45 minutes per day to my regular workout routine, but I believe it was worth every minute, as the pace of my rehab consistently exceeded the expectations of my PT's.

Good luck with your BHR!

Barbara

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 11:13:01 PM »
I agree that it is beneficial. I had surgery on my right hip 3 months ago then did PT for the next few weeks. I had surgery on my left hip 1 month ago and found that it had benefited greatly from the PT. I noticed a huge difference in my strength on that side post op. I have not had the same muscle atrophy and have been able to lift and move my leg and walk without crutches much sooner than with the right side. I am a couple of weeks advanced in my PT now than I was at this stage post op with the right hip.

Barbara
Barbara
RBHR 10/13/2008. LBHR 12/08/2008. LBHR revision 1/18/2010, LTHR 9/23 2011, RTHR 12/16 2011............
Dr Pritchet, Seattle

Debbie

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 09:45:14 PM »
I have 10 weeks before my resurfacing surgery (right hip, Dr. Malchau, Mass General in Boston). I requested a referral from my primary care doctor for physical therapy to strengthen my hip muscles prior to surgery.  I hope this will help the recovery process. I saw the physical therapist today and she gave me a variety of exercises which I will add to my existing routine of stationary bike, stretching, and minor weight-lifting. The therapist also recommended walking or swimming in the local indoor pool. Now I just need to quit my job so I have enough time to do all this therapy!! I thought others might be interested in this approach.
If you could share some of the exercises you did, I would greatly appreciate it.  My surgery is scheduled for June 5th and I have been going to the gym about four days each week, mostly stationary bike and a little weight-lifting.  I would love to do some more that is specific to pre-surgery strengthening.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 09:59:30 PM by Debbie »

MarilynRS

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 01:11:41 AM »
I also would like to know more.  It's great that you can do stationary bike.  Very long?  There's quite a bit of pain with that for me, but if that is part of the pre-surgery routine, I'd like to know because it may be worth it.  I've been pretty much only doing water exercises, to just keep some movement in my hips (I'll be having both done, the first 2 months from today and the second a couple of days later.) because I am extremely immobile on land.  Thanks,  Marilyn
Grateful !  U/c with Dr. Gross
L: 07/13/09 and R: 07/15/09

Tommy

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 08:08:12 AM »
Me too very interested in your therapy. My surgery is June 2. I will be running up too surgery.
Dr Tupper  LBHR  6/02/09
Oklahoma
DR Gross Biomet uncemented RHR 5/6/22

Debbie

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 10:33:28 PM »
It has been suggested that I get/stay as stong as possible before surgery, even if it hurts some.  I have found that if I use a reclined bike where my legs are out in front of me and push the seat back so that I can barely put my feet flat on the pedals, it doesn't hurt or at least hurts only a little bit.

dw

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 10:32:10 AM »
Me too very interested in your therapy. My surgery is June 2. I will be running up too surgery.

that's great for aerobic conditioning - but strengthening with various leg raises is probably the way to go, as that's the prescribed recovery protical. I think one of the Dr's chats had said that people who do pre-surgery excersize with the post surgery protical had a little faster recovery. YMMV obviously. I thought I'd be well on the way at the one month point after surgery - that definately wasn't the case!

MarilynRS

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 07:28:13 PM »
I know that the leg lifts would be good to do -- because currently I cannot even do one.  Yikes!  I lie there and at least contract the muscles.  Sometimes I can lift an inch or two.  Sometimes with the assistance of a strap or person, I can lift up.  Is there a website link to the full "post-op" first exercises regimen?  Thanks, Marilyn
Grateful !  U/c with Dr. Gross
L: 07/13/09 and R: 07/15/09

dw

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 08:58:06 AM »

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat