+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Get My Mind Right  (Read 10475 times)

hipnhop

Get My Mind Right
« on: March 29, 2011, 12:05:36 PM »
Has anyone experienced an emotional rollercoaster after HR? I am having a hard time trying to focus on anything. I am two weeks post op and I don't even want to do any business work, return calls, etc.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

bdoughty

Re: Get My Mind Right
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 12:16:53 PM »
I'm 4 wks post-op and have had much the same experience. I had best intentions of doing all this work after the 1st week or so, but wasn't able to focus on it much. Couldn't even do much pleasure reading. I've also been moody, lacked motivation. Yesterday was my 1st day back at work, which has helped a little bit but still hard to concentrate.

halfdone

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 01:01:33 PM »
It is easier second time around!

I'm no expert, but you might find some of this at least vaguely familiar, though in a milder sense. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posttraumatic_stress_disorder
The whole build up to surgery, and the mental and physical ordeal of surgery itself with all its attendant uncertainties and (sometimes) surprises is bound to be stressful for most of us.  My theory is that we are all at risk of a little mild PTSD-like feeling.

I think time, and celebration of being beyond the OA pain, are among the best healers of this one.

Best wishes on your continuing recoveries and rehabs.

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 05:02:07 PM »
The worst thing I experienced was the first two days at home after the surgery. I had trouble concentrating on anything, even TV. At times especially at night I could feel anxiety or maybe even panic building up in me. I honestly did not know what was going on.

Someone explained to me that it was because of all the excitement and build up leading to the surgery. Then you are in a hospital with noise and activity all around plus you are being cared for by the hospital staff. The hospital is brightly lit. Then in a matter of a day or two you are sitting in your home and it is quiet, hardly anyone around and it may be darker as it was in my case. It was cold, dark Winter where I live. All the excitement is over and there is not much to do but wait and heal. Almost like watching paint dry. Plus you are laying there with a fresh surgical incision(s) and this new thing(s) stuck in you. I guess reality sets in. If I had my surgery done in the Summer, I don't think it would have been like that. Don't get me wrong, I was very happy to be rid of the bad hip surfaces. That was my experience, everyone is different.

I am much better now, but will admit I too have trouble at times getting into activities, even ones I like to do. I think as the weather improves even more and I heal more I will return to my old self. (But with nice ,new, shiny hip surfaces of course!  ;D).

Hip, keep us posted and know you are not alone.

Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 12:26:47 PM »
I think you need to heal emotionally as well as physically. Even though for me a great thing happened, the isolation you feel after, along with the amount of time without any activity that you're used to can take some getting used to.

I also had to rearrange myself mentally. I had given up on certain activities in my life, and now was planning on resuming them. The lack of mobility, even going out on crutches can be a bit embarrassing until the time is done.

Patience I think is the key here, patience with the process, but also with yourself, since you are going through an emotional time. Just remember that you are limited for a tiny amount of time, but will be freed of the pain that has sapped you for the rest of your life hopefully.

I had something happen that was great. I was carrying something out of the car, and dropped a couple of things. One went under the car. Before the operations, that would have been a gateway to hell, since I would had needed to find a way down (in pain), reach under the car (in more pain) and get back up (excruciating). Now I just knelt down, reached under the car, got it and stood up. I didn't even notice the difference until I started walking away. Little things like this helped me keep positive as I recouped.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 12:31:34 PM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 11:06:12 PM »
I think what makes it so tough is the fact that we suffered so much before surgery. The pain and loss of activities we loved and the things we just couldn't do anymore.

Then we have the surgery, the old hip pain is gone, but we still have to patiently wait for weeks and months to heal. Even though we are much better than before, we still have to wait to do stuff. I knew it would be this way but it doesn't make it easier.  :(
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

hipnhop

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 06:11:36 PM »
Thanks everyone. It is helpful to hear that I am not the only one. I have the added anxiety of knowing I have to go through again with left hip.  I see why others say get them done at the same time.

I signed up for therapy to help me with this issue, I think it will help.

NEWDog hit it on the head. Being stuck in the house and the season contributes to the depression. I never sit still. I walk my dog three times a day, run with him at dog park and let's not mention Triathlon stuff. If it was nice outside I could at least sit in the park and watch the kids play.

Hernanu raises a good point that we have to deal with loss and recovery, and maybe just loss. We all may not be able to return 100% to what we are used to.  I hope I can run again but must be prepared if I can't.  Change is inevitable: growth is an option.

I agree with the PST analogy, I know my body does. From what I read about PST it is important to speak about these issues. Surface Hippy has been my greatest outlet to share my frustrations. Nobody knows what I went through and continue to do so.  Yau'll do. No matter how tough I thought I was or how many miles I swam before the surgery, I wasn't ready for this. Thanks for being the support group I've never seen - You're like NINJA's!
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 09:54:47 PM »
hip,
You are so right. Nobody other than other Hippys knows or understands what we went through. It is very personal. I believe my wife tries her best but I really don't expect her to fully understand. Even in the Hippy world we are different and are affected differently.

I believe you are doing the right thing signing up for therapy. I think it would have helped me a lot if I would have done the same especially before surgery. Looking back, I realize that I probably suffered more emotionally than I needed to. Maybe I still am.

Give the dog a hug and let him know you'll be taking him on walks again soon.

Keep talking to us when you need to.

FlbrkMike

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 10:36:02 PM »
One thing that got me a litttle depressed was the fact I made really good progress on rehabbing my left leg in the four weeks between my two surgeries.  I felt like I was really ready for the second, because in that short time I had gotten to the point where I felt like it was my unoperated right leg that was then holding me back.  But after the second surgery I also felt like I was now back at "square one" and having once again to go through all the pain, stiffness, sleepness, etc. that happens during the first post-surgery week.  Feeling a lot better now, though, after three weeks and ready to throw away the crutches next week.  I'm glad I did it the way I did.  Get it over with and move on.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 10:37:13 PM by FlbrkMike »
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

joedb123

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 03:16:20 AM »
Waaaahhhh, I'm sad, WAAAAAAAHHHH I have a metal ball in my hip! Waaaaaaaah! :(
Get over it, you had hip surgery. Don't you watch the news? Don't you see these young soldiers come back missing all kinds of limbs? The ones who come home and their heads look like half eaten apple pies? They don't even remember where their hip is! Now they have the right to complain! Next time your in the hospital take a swing by the cancer ward and see what real trouble is! Suck it up. This too shall pass. Everybody handles these things differently. Like I saw a guy running the NYC Marathon and he was nothing but a head attached to one sneaker. There is a guy who understands how to handle lifes challenges! You can too, alright? Now get out there and make it happen! Don't make me come down there and boot you in the ass!......oh yeah, I can't, only partial weight bearing....shit.

;) hang in there buddy it will get better!

halfdone

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 08:38:38 AM »
Joe, you sound just like my Aussie hospital PT!

(PS Although I agree with Joe's point that we hippys have nothing like the challenges of others facing much more challenging conditions, surgeries, rehabs etc., the anxieties and stresses are real enough for hippy patients, and the psychological consequences should be acknowledged along with the physical.
http://www.primarypsychiatry.com/aspx/articledetail.aspx?articleid=1067
But bottom line in my book is that the liberation from pain and disability offered by these modern prostheses is a fabulous gift, which can be enjoyed more and more as the memory of the surgery fades.
Good luck with whatever works best for you all in your rehabs and recoveries.  :))
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 08:52:47 AM by halfdone »

joedb123

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 09:08:59 AM »
I was just ballbusting  ;D...a New York tradition. I am too early on to know exactly how i will feel going forward. No matter how you slice it (no pun intended!), its tough both emotionally and physically. This is a real "keep your eye on the prize" type situation.

I say we set up on online poker game or something to keep ourselves entertained!

joedb123

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 09:14:04 AM »
Take it from The Gunny!!

halfdone

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 09:34:52 AM »

joedb123

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 09:41:49 AM »
I love that guy!! Im glad you got a laugh Hip, that was the whole idea :). This surgery sucks no matter how you look at it. Again, I am trying to keep focused on the outcome and remember why I did it in the first place.

I woke up this morning and my foot looks like a balloon......fun,fun, fun!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2011, 10:17:14 AM »
I am glad everyone is talking about the mental rehab.  Major surgery really takes a toll on the body and mind and emotions.  We are not use to people slicing us open and adding new parts.  Makes us very vulnerable to the doctors and hospitals and very slow in recovery.  We just don't feel like the people we use to be. The Good News is that you will eventually recover and be better than the person you were.  You will be active and out of pain again.  The older you get, the more diffiuclt the surgery recovery.  The opposite seems true with the emotional recovery - the younger you are, the more difficult the recovery waiting to get back to your normal life.

Hang in there.  If you feel really depressed, do the counsuling or get some meds from your family doctor to help you over the hump.  It is not unusual for people to feel depressed and down after surgery - young, old, male or female.  I had open heart surgery to replace my aortic valve last August and it is most common for those folks to have xanex or some form of meds to stop the emotional roller coaster.  It is a life or death situation making the decision to have surgery and go thru the long recovery. I was up and running within a few weeks after my BHR, but my recovery from OHS has been very long.  The mental skills have taken a long time to return - very hard to concentrate. So it is not unusual to have the emotional, mental and physical problems during recovery.  Most family members won't understand it if they haven't been thru it, but fortunately most will be sympathetic and helpful.

It is helpful to talk to others in the same situation and I am glad everyone has joined in on this topic. Please be sure to post if you need to talk, this is a great supportive group of folks. If you don't get the support you need, be sure to talk to your family doctor or do some temporary consuling. The goal of the surgery is to get back to a better life - use whatever means you need.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

FlbrkMike

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2011, 11:44:02 AM »
 :o

;D

LOL @ Joe.

Thanks for "keepin' it real."

We all tend to see the world from our own narrow perspective, and the emotional rollercoaster is only natural given the traumatic nature of the surgery that we have chosen for ourselves and the lengthy recovery.

My wife, several decades ago, was a nurse in a hospital rehab center.  Most of her patients were in transition from acute to long term care with major disabilities (paraplegics, quads and major head injuries) incurred through traumatic injuries of some sort.  These people, for the most part, had no hope of regaining their former lives and yet still found ways to maintain a positive attitude.  She has reminded me of this several times to help keep things in perspective.   
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

svanci02

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2011, 12:39:18 PM »
A wise man once told me that if we ALL put our stories on our front porch, 95% of people would pick theirs back up and go inside!  :)
R THR 2/3/11
L THR 3/3/11

pasinvabch

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2011, 06:53:44 PM »
Joe, thanks for putting some things into prespective, I just came home today from the hospital and even though i wanted to go home I kind of freaked out in the car on the way home. I guess the hospital was a security blanket for me. Im already thinking wow first day out and Im bored!! I used to run and teach group exercise and so now im limited....I walked around the house three times and it has only been a few hours since i got back. (walking slowly) I cannot wait until the weather gets better in va beach!!
i think mentally is going to be tough. Having peeps around will help as well as this website.
thanks for posting(my son is in the army in germany)

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2011, 10:31:07 PM »
joe,

Thanks, I needed that! It does put things in perspective, doesn't it? Of course you know this means you can't come bawlin' to us in later posts?  :'( (Just kidding Joe, we're here for you!)  ;D

halfdone,

I love that ad too! The first time I saw it, I died laughing at it! Good one!!  ;D ;D

Steve

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear