+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: I am now a Surface Hippy  (Read 7052 times)

CITY2SOUTH

I am now a Surface Hippy
« on: June 25, 2008, 04:55:39 PM »
Thanks for all the well wishes and great advice everyone. I am now a Surface Hippy!!!! My surgery was sometime between 12-1pm on Monday. Last thing I can remember is being rolled into Op. room and seeing Astronauts.They asked me to move from the bed I was on to the operating table and I commented on the table being crooked. Lights out from then on till I woke up in recovery room half paralyzed. Once I started having sensation in my legs I was rolled up to my private room. Didn't do much just tried to stay comfortable..I was very very very very ITCHY from the morphine. Took 1,2,3 benadryl then nubain to stop itching (nothing helped) I itched all night long. Nurse gave me ambien around midnight, that didn't do much either. I was in and out of sleep all night. Between vital signs every 4 hrs and the feeling like bugs were crawling all over me but no pain. Ate french toast for breakfast got a lesson from OT on how to put socks on and take them off, how to grab things, swing leg out of bed and wash this this sponge attached to a long stick. Around 9:00am PT came in. I learned how to get out and in bed,chair and toilet. We them took a stroll down hallway. I visited with a friend I met on this site that had his surgery after mine. Had afternoon staircase/crutch training and was discharged. The 3 hr ride home was not bad at all, no pain.  This is funny - I did not have a raised toilet seat so I improvised. I had my husband put my son's potty training potty on top of the toilet seat and it worked. I tried it again later on with my sister's assistance in another bathroom but it slowly slipped out from under me, well we were laughing so hard I didn't feel any pain...I just stood up and clenched my teeth as I was lauging. Needless to say we moved it back to the other bathroom were it doesn't slip. My first night home was ok still slightly itchy but slept approx. 4 hrs. Woke up at 7am..love love.love Cable On Demand. I let my husband sleep in and I watched a movie. Around 9:30 the family got up and we had breakfast, I slept on leather couch recliner and have spent the day here. Showered and did a few laps around the house. Going to take a few more pain pills and venture outside for a walk. Wasn't sure if I should have blogged all this or just add it to my other comments. I'll download pictures /Videos and try to figure out how to add them in tonight. So long for now...Lisa
P.S. Prayers going out to Mike (my hospital buddy)who had his second hip done today.
Lisa Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/ 6-23-08

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: I am now a Surface Hippy
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 05:01:29 PM »
Hi Lisa

I started you a new topic since you are starting a new chapter in your life.

Sounds like you are getting along well and laughing along the way. That laughter really helps.

Yes, we want to hear all about your adventure. Then other people know what to expect.

I look forward to you next chapter.  If you have problems loading photos and videos, let me know.  I will try to get your story posted on a regular webpage shortly.  Then I know I can get the photos and videos posted.

Good Luck!!!!!  Keep on laughing and healing.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Big Bill

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 05:49:25 PM »
Job well done !!  My resurfacing is scheduled for July 9th---I will achieve the rank of "Hippy" then !!!  Keep us informed and congratulations...your journey begins!!

Big Bill 

CITY2SOUTH

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 03:02:50 AM »
Pat and everyone - I'm 1 week in from surgery and I need help..
I have INSOMNIA / RESTLESS LEG SYNDROME. Since I stopped taking pain meds 3 days ago my problem has increased. Maybe it's withdrawals...... Not only can I not fall asleep, I can't stay asleep. I've tried OTC meds but nothing helps. I've always had difficulty sleeping but having to sleep on my back is driving me crazy. I've tried to sleep in my bed with pillow between legs but that doesn't last but 2-3 hrs then I revert back to my comfy livingroom recliner. Well the past 3 nights I've been up till 4am.  I have no pain in hip. The rest of my recovery is wonderful. I used 2 crutches for 3 days then went to 1 crutch and as soon as my cane arrives tomorrow I'll retire the crutch. If anyone has ANY advice please let me know..I'm going bonkers......Lisa

ok it's 3am and I'm logging off..Wish me luck!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 07:41:59 AM »
Hi Lisa

Most people have the same problem sleeping you are having.  I did.  I just would sleep for a couple hours in bed, then go to my recliner.  Sleep a couple hours in the recliner, then move back to the bed.  It really didn't bother me.  I also napped often during the day.

It was not unusual for me since I had such hip pain for years, that that was pretty much standard.  I did not sleep a full night for years.

Just go with the flow.  Use the recliner.  Nap.  If you can't sleep, watch TV or read. 

You can also ask your family doctor for Ambien or something to help you sleep.  You are still only 1 week post op.  The anasthesia is not probably out of your body.  You had major surgery and it will take many weeks for your body to recover.

Be glad you are out of pain and just sleep when you can.  Getting disturbed won't help you stay relaxed.  IT took me over 2 weeks before I could sleep for a few hours at a time. I think the heprin shots I took really buzzed me.

Give yourself some time to recover, take naps and check out what's on TV at 3 am. 

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

CITY2SOUTH

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 12:57:07 AM »
Pat,

Thanks so much for the help! I didn't think about the blood thinner side effects. I have 4 more days on them.  At 5 am this morning I took vicodin and finally fell asleep an hr later. I did call my doctor and she is calling in a script for Lunesta in the am for me so hopefully this will be my last sleepless night. I don't know how you did it for all those years. I would love to nap whenever possible but having a 3 yr old son running around limits napping. He naps after lunch but of course I'm wide awake..figures! Well on a good note my cane arrived and I have retired the crutches. Actually I have one in my living room and the other in the bedroom because I seem to forget to use an aid when i get up and just limp until I realize I need something to help me walk straight. Does that make any sense? Oh and when will my incision STOP ITCHING????
Thanks once again for all your help!
Lisa (Sleepless in South Carolina)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 08:05:23 AM »
Hi Lisa

I only had 16 dogs running around and I was 61!  The dogs love to lay down at nap time!  Sorry, I forget not everyone is older like I am.

Hopefully, the sleeping pills will help.  Again, almost everyone has the same sleep problems.

I use to forget my crutch too.  I just used my elbow crutch since it gave me a little more stability than a cane.  I would especially forget at night when I went to the bathroom.  I would wake up in the morning and find I left it in the bathroom. Many people tend to do that as they start to get better.

Dr. De Smet said I should always use a cane or crutch until I did not limp.  That was the guidline I used.  It took me 4 weeks to not limp.  Some people take much longer, some less time.  We all have our own body healing timeline.

??? Itching  is a good thing - it means healing.   ::) However, I am still more than 2 years post op and still have some itching in my butt area.  I have very sensitive skin.  I itched for months and months!!  Try getting some vitamin E oil and rub on your incision.  I waited a few weeks before I started that.  You might want to ask your doctor when you can start to use it. 

Just think of the itching as your bodies way of shouting - I am getting well   I am getting well  I am getting well!!!!

May the gods look down upon you and allow you to sleep more and itch less!!!!    ::)

Have fun over the 4th! 

Pat

3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

CITY2SOUTH

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 09:38:06 AM »
You are truly an extraordinary person!!!!

Where would we all be if not for you? Still limping that's for sure... :'(

:o 16 Dogs!!!!!!! We have 1 weimeraner (145 lbs) that thinks he is a lap dog. He's actually been great company on the couch with me each night..

I'll be sure to use my cane till I no longer limp and will ask Dr. about vit. E for my incision. I wish my body wouldn't shout I'm getting better so loud!..lol

I had  another sleepless night but hopefully it will be my last. I'm surprised with Dr. G being such a wonderful doctor with such a strict medicinal pre/post surgery regimen that he does not mention the common sleepless side effect from the blood thinner. I know it is my responsibility to read side effects but with so much going on how can one do it all.

:)Well off to the pool today I look forward to an awaiting lounge chair and maybe a nap as my husband and son exert some energy at the pool.

You enjoy the 4th as well and if you are ever down in Myrtle Beach stop by for some sweet tea/fried chicken and some friendly licks from a big pooch.

Lisa

CITY2SOUTH

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 10:19:50 AM »
Just thought I'd let everyone know I took a Lunesta at 8:30 and was alseep by 9:30. Woke up full of energy at 7:00 and took my dog for a 1/4 mile walk. I must say I was happy to see the driveway and collapsed on the couch.

LIFE IS GOOD!
HAPPY 4TH OF JULY EVERYBODY!
LISA

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 10:28:10 AM »
Great you had a good nights sleep!

Enjoy your weekend sleeping, walking and having fun!  Give your pooch a pet for me!   ;D

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

CITY2SOUTH

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 01:10:42 AM »
2 weeks post - op (yesterday) 7/7/08

Walked a mile!!!!! My husband and son kept checking on me every few blocks on our golf cart but I MADE IT!

My husband also had my polarcare packed with ice and ready to go. I was swollen and the Ice felt great.

(My incision is 4 inches and healing nicely. Still itchey but better. I can't wait to go swimming. (2 more weeks)

I try to walk without cane but have a limp so back to the cane till I heal some more.

15 days in today and it was my first day home alone with my 3 yr old son. Did my exercises in the AM.
We rode over to the pool and he went swimming as I sat in lounge chair soaking up the sun.
 Back to the house for lunch and Jr. had a nap. I got on my work computer and checked some email.
Did my exercises.
Spent the afternoon watering plants and watching my son play in the yard
Skipped my walk tonight and had a few beers with the neighbors in the yard.

Sleeping has gotten much better. Some nights I need Lunesta to sleep but the more I do during the day the easier sleep comes.

LIFE IS GOOD!
Lisa

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 06:20:57 PM »
Hi Lisa

Glad everything is going well for you.  It will get better and better.

Glad you are sleeping better.  Have fun with that 3 year old! ;D

You will be able to run as fast as he does pretty soon.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

CITY2SOUTH

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 09:28:43 PM »
I'm at the 3 week mark and feel great..I'm even able to get down on the floor and play with my son. It is somewhat difficult to get up but I manage. My incision looks awesome well as awesome as an incision can look I suppose. I went against Dr. ordered and got it wet. I did purchase tagaderm to cover it and did not submerge my hip too much. It was more like wading thigh deep in the kiddy pool at the water park. I got home and about soaked it in betadine to clean it.
I'm walking regulary 1 mile a day and as long as I use the cane I have no limp. Last night my son drove his electric lighting McQueen car as I walked and tried to keep up with the lil speed demon.

Today I took my son to Toys R Us for a scooter, well I left carring the scooter and the cane at the store. Didn't think about it till I was sitting down in Margariteville for lunch. My hubby went back for it luckily.

Haven't had any swelling or the need for Ice therapy and I can finally sleep on my stomach or side in the bed. I said farewell to my recliner this weekend.

Hope everyone else is recovery nicely. My Lunseta is kicking in so off to bed I go..Lisa

Big Bill

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 10:28:29 PM »
Hi... Big Bill here ...I have recently acquired the rank of Surface Hippy !!!  I am 1 week into my journey...been keepin in touch with a few of you out there in Hippyland. I am catagorized as  an "Anterior Approach Cormet Surface Hippy"...with a glued incision...according to Pat ....a rare breed indeed! Feeling great ...following the docs advice...not pushing it too much. One crutch Charlie most of the day today...wow has alot has transpired in the last week! Had some swelling and tenderness the last few days(doc says normal),but no more hip pain! I want to say "THANKS"  to Pat (hope you are getting better!) ...for all the support that this site gives. There are many other people I want to thank again...you know who you are! Congrats to all of the other Hippies and future Hippies out there....share your stories and experiences...that is what this site is all about.
   I have been asked to participate in a 24 month study with Cormet. I will post as time permits. Lites out soon...big day planned tomorrow!

Big Bill 

CITY2SOUTH

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 10:46:01 PM »
Bill,

Good Luck recovering and working on your Study..My second week was better then my first..Ice when you swell it helps alot and since you will be getting more active you will need to elevate and Ice when necessary.
Take care and keep us posted..Lisa

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2008, 10:48:34 PM »
Hi Bill
Glad to hear you are improving.  Each week will get better.

Keep in touch and enjoy tomorrow!

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

CITY2SOUTH

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2008, 09:12:48 AM »
Almost at the 4 week marker and look forward to some water therapy in 2 days. I think I saw somewhere on this site some printable exercises and will go looking for them.

I have a question for ya'll out there. I have been massaging my incision daily and the other day I felt kinds like a pop (like when you pop packaging bubbles) under my incision. It happened like 3 times. Am I busting subcutaneous stitches? Is that possible? I am waiting from email reply from my Dr. as well.

I am limping less and less each day and think it will only be a 2-3 more weeks till I have no limp at all. We will see. My goal is to walk into 6 week check up normal. So I am off to practice...
Pat,
I'm going to work on blogging my story shortly. I think I can copy and paste alot if I remember correctly. I'd like to add picture of my healing incision as well.

Be Well Everyone!
Lisa

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2008, 09:47:26 AM »
Hi Lisa

Glad to hear you are healing well.

If you want to just send me your story and photos, I will be happy to post it on the main website.  If you want to blog it, that's OK too.  pwalter@surfacehippy.info

Here are the water exercises I did  http://www.surfacehippy.info/poolexercises.php

I don't have an answer about the popping.  I was afraid to do much around my incison for quite awhile.  I just rubbed viatmin E on it.

Pat

3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Big Bill

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2008, 04:53:19 PM »
Lisa --thanks for staying in touch ----you have a determined spirit ---you go girl!  I can't wait to get in the water again. I think it will be the "icing on the cake" that you need! The only thing I can think about the popping is to do with the swelling......water retention ...try a more gentle surface massage. It will be interesting to find out!

Big Bill

hollyk

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2008, 06:53:43 PM »
Hey Big Bill..glad to hear you are still doing well!..what is a "glued" incision? I had staples so it kind of looks like Frankenstein but it has already faded alot. My Dr. used a Zimmer on me..I'll be interested to hear the results of the study. I am still on a cane but not in the house. They want me to use it until I stop limping completely. There is definitely a lot of improvement every day..hopefully for you, too. Good Luck!
Holly

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal