+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 5 wks & tendons sore on top of leg  (Read 2586 times)

JimBob

5 wks & tendons sore on top of leg
« on: September 09, 2008, 09:57:12 AM »
It started at 4 wks- pain in groin on top of leg while lifting leg in bed. So severe doc asked me to discontinue rehab to see if pain would subside. It is now 5 wks & NO the pain has not subsided. Entire top of upper leg is sore. Unable to lift leg without pain. Even turning over in bed hurts. Not sure if it is the tendons or muscles. Strange thing was the first 3 wks I was progressing very well. The only exercise in rehab that was difficult was the leg lift. It finally became severe when lifting leg in bed.  Anyone else having same problem?  Jim Bob

fenceman

Re: 5 wks & tendons sore on top of leg
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 11:31:21 AM »
Hi JimBob,  I am 4 weeks out and just started lifting my leg into bed by itself without using my other leg to help.

My Dr. does not want me to do any leg lift or exercises from the hip until after 6 weeks.  I do have a small pain when lifting leg in bed or on the couch but nothing that sounds as bad as your.  Bill.
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

ahershberger

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 01:55:14 PM »
JimBob:
My PT gal said that we only have the tiniest of groin muscle to help lift our legs and she didn't want me to attempt leg lifts until the leg was stronger; otherwise you can strain it and it can be painful. Maybe that is what you have done. I am 5 weeks postop yesterday and still have different aches and pains so I don't think it unusual. It hurts me too to turn in my bed. In fact, I have had to resort to re-icing the incision area because I like to sleep on my sides and have been sleeping some on my operated side! In fact it has made my whole thigh area sore.
Hope this reassures you. Be sure to mention this to your doc at your 6 week checkup.
Alison

JimBob

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 02:34:51 PM »
Thanks Bill & Allison for your replies. 
Allison,
The groin muscle info is good and may be my problem.  What's strange is that I do not have any trouble walking at all.  It is a little sore, but not enough to cause serious pain.  In fact I have been sleeping on both sides for 3 wks and been able to tolerate any pain in the incision area.  Unfortunately my current pain is located in the top and sides of my leg & in the knee. and it really kicks in when I try to lift my leg or move it sideways suddenly.  I am 68 yrs old but have very dense bones that were so hard, the doc said it broke three saw blades during operation. So the BHR should be fine for me.  I have a pool which I work out in all the time.  But this recent soreness has stopped all that, except for the walking in the shallow end.  That i can do. The exercise where I use a noodle to ride like a bicycle is too painful when lifting leg I had to quit.  It worries me that I am no longer doing the proper rehab exercises to return to a natural walk. 
It also doesn't help that I weigh 320 lbs!! But at least I am 6' 4" tall.   
Thanks again for responding,
Jim Bob

xocy

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 04:33:28 PM »
I am about 10 weeks post op and have had the same problem. I had a bilateral and the left quad at the very top, where it attached to the bone was very painful when doing leg lifts. The right was not as bad. I continued the exercises, but did not push myself quite so hard, and took an occasional day or two off. Dr. Gross' protocol calls for me to do them twice per day.

At first it was very discouraging, but in the last 7 days or so I have had a dramatic improvement. I agree with Dr. Gross, walking is one of the best methods of rehab. Although it is more difficult, walking up hills seems to provide quick results. Labor Day, I walked 9 holes of golf and carried my bag. It was a challenge, and I thought I would suffer afterwards, but to my surprise I felt great after only a short rest.

Bottom line, what you experienceing is normal. Keep exercising, but don't over do it.

Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Gross
L 6/23/08  R 6/25/08
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross
Left 6/23/08  Right 6/25/08

JimBob

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 09:45:56 PM »
Went to doc today and diagnosis is  that it is simply a pulled groin muscle that should work itself out if allowed to heal.  Introduced him to this web site and he was looking forward to checking it out.  He told me that he has done approximately 60 BHR operations and as such wasn't listed on your site(minimum of 100).  But I wouldn't trade him and his technical knowledge and skills for anyone. 
In any case feeling better today after workout, but still unable to lift leg into bed by myself without experiencing severe pain.  Good thing I have an understanding wife.  Would hate to be single with this operation. I am now at 5.5 weeks after surgery.  No problems walking, just slow and have some pain that I can definitely tolerate.
Jim Bob 

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 11:24:57 AM »
Hi Jim Bob

I hope your pulled groin muscle will get better shortly.  Have you thought about doing any water therapy?  I was really stiff at 6 weeks post op and did a lot of water walking, stretches and exercises in the pool.  That really helped me.

By the way - who is your surgeon?  Why don't you tell us so more people can learn about him/her.  Maybe when you get to 6 months post op, you will find out his/her current stats.  I will be happy to list them when they hit 100.

Again, we have many new doctors doing hip resurfacing that are doing a great job.  I just have to choose some kind of benchmark for the list.  The 100 resurfacing figure is based on medical studies and advice from the very experienced surgeons.  I know of a doctor at 250 that had a problem.  So just the numbers does not always suggest a perfect outcome, but it is a good guidline.

Hope you feel better soon.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

JimBob

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 01:23:37 PM »
Pat,

I am fortunate to have a pool in my backyard here in Memphis, TN.  And for at least another 3 wks will be able to do the water walking which I have been doing since the 2nd week. It does help a lot.  I do have a pool heater but when I have to run it 24 hrs a day, it scares me to watch the gas meter.  I have a dedicated 2" gas line running to it and it really makes some noise when it kicks in. {The sound of money!) It does extend my swimming season, however, from April 1st to mid October without a problem. I have been exercising all summer in preparation for this surgery which occurred August 4th.

My doctor is Owen Tabor, Jr with Tabor Orthopedics here in Memphis.  His dad started the business.  He is first class.  And he is listed on the Smith Nephew site.   

As far as my pulled groin muscle, it has improved considerably in just the last few days. I can almost lift my leg to get into bed myself.  Turning over pain is almost gone.  That was a quick change for me.  But i have also started the treadmill with an incline setting of 4 right now. So that apparently is making a difference also.

Jim Bob

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat