+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: metal in blood  (Read 2602 times)

blitz373

metal in blood
« on: September 04, 2017, 12:16:01 PM »
My blood shows very high numbers over the standard range for chromium and cobalt after 9 and 5 years for each hip surgery.. I will see surgeon to discuss this week...My q's are , is this poisonous,   does it mean it has worn out, one hip squeaks because all my weight is fully on right now since recovering from ankle surgery and I am on crutches full weight on one side 8 weeks...and are there charts to show where even high levels are safe ?....thank you ...all input will help...

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: metal in blood
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 01:01:08 PM »
Hi

Did your hip resurfacing surgeon send you blood out for testing?  There are only a few labs that actually do metal ion testing since it is very different than regular blood tests.

Usually hip resurfacing devices don't wear out that fast, but only your surgeon can tell you.

Sounds to me it might be possible to cause additional edge wear, which usually causes high metal ions, since you have only been using only the right.  Maybe the way you are walking with the crutches is causing an imbalance.

Your surgeon should be able to give you good answers.

Here is a page about normal metal levels.

http://surfacehippy.info/normal-levels-of-cobalt-after-hip-resurfacing/

Let's hope it is your changed gait on one leg that is causing the problems.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

blitz373

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 01:28:48 PM »
thanks Pat, yes blood sent out one test supposed to be 0-1 and I am a 23...other test also high  supposed to be 1-5 and is 13  so how long do these metal implants last average ?   ...and have u heard of cases of metal poisoning ? thanks

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 01:51:24 PM »
Hi

No one can tell how long they will last.  There are stories on this website of people that have BHRs over 20 years.  The BHR was only started being used in 1997.  There are many people that have had their THRs their whole lives.  Hip Resurfacing is not that much different than a THR in it's life span.  People with MOM THRs had problems too.  Usually THR MOM had many more problems than hip resurfacing.

Here are some revisions stories    http://surfacehippy.info/thr-and-revision-stories/     There are not very many of those as compared to regular stories since the revision rate is still very small for most top surgeons - some only in the 95 - 98% retention rate.

I think you will get answers from your surgeon.  I also think using one leg could have put more pressure on your hip - but I don't know since I am not medically trained or a doctor.

Let us know how things turn out.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

dcapen

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 12:53:46 AM »
I, too, had BHR 10 and 5 years ago.  My metal ion concentrations in blood have been monitored throughout.  Although quite low through year 7, recent blood tests show Cr at 7.9 and Co at 5.7.  I have consulted with doctors about these levels and have been advised to continue to monitor, but be vigilant.  Levels of 23 and 13 are potentially dangerous.  You should seek advice from multiple doctors, in my opinion.  You could be sustaining kidney and neurological problems, even if your hips are fine. 

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat