+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cleared to begin running again!  (Read 2448 times)

Paprika

Cleared to begin running again!
« on: October 07, 2017, 08:12:19 PM »
My left hip resurfacing was performed by Dr. Pritchett in Seattle on April 17, 2017.  Recovery has gone really well - thanks to Dr. Pritchett's excellent surgical technique and my awesome physical therapist (Jeff) at C.O.R.E. Therapy in DC.  I am very happy to report that, after reviewing my recent x-rays, Dr. Pritchett has cleared me to resume running!  I would love to hear from my fellow surface hippy runners as to what types of workouts they did for their return to running.  I have read and reread Dr. Su's return to running program and Cory Foulkes excellent piece on running with resurfaced hips.  This website introduced me to Dr. Pritchett - an awesome surgeon - and I will be eternally grateful!

blinky

Re: Cleared to begin running again!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 07:52:05 PM »
Yay Paprika! That is great!

I started following that back to running plan as a soon as I was cleared. At close to the same time, I made an appointment to see a good PT, one who had worked with resurf patients.

My right side external rotator was weak from being detached and reattached. That slowed down my running. Early on, I felt like I placed my left leg on the ground, while my right lower leg sort of wobbled or shimmied before it hit the ground. It set me back about ten days.

My big advice is to listen to your body. You may be able to follow that plan without a hitch, or you may be like me and have to stop and firm up some weakness before you can advance.

Best of luck!

Paprika

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 01:40:23 PM »
Thank you, Blinky.  For me, the hip flexors may be an issue.  We'll see.  I can't wait to do that first 400 meters around our high school's rubberized track!  :)

fastboy64

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 05:10:17 AM »
Hi Paprika - how is the running going?
I am 3 months post op and am planning to follow the Dr Su PT program at 6 months (Easter).
Have you found the program OK? How have the hip flexors been?
Thanks in anticipation
fastboy64

Paprika

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 09:41:34 PM »
Thank you for your interest, Fastboy!  I gradually progressed to 3 miles non-stop on asphalt by the end of November @ average pace of 8:40. But, for several weeks in November, I had nagging shin pain in my operated leg (left) during the later stages of my runs and afterwards.  My PT did a gait analysis and concluded that my left knee was caving in intermittently.  My left knee would actually lightly brush my right knee at times during a run. My PT advised me to take some time off from running and do a series of exercises specifically aimed at strengthening my gluteus and piriformis muscles (the ones that are temporarily damaged during resurfacing).  I listened to him and took a full week off.  Then, in mid-December, every other day, I ran 4X400 meters, walking 200 meters in between each lap, then 2X800 meters, walking 200 meters in between each 2-lap interval. These runs were on a rubberized high school track.  I also did the exercises with intensity.  Today (Dec. 26), I am happy to report, I ran 2x1 mile on my favorite asphalt trail with a half mile of walking in between and I have no shin pain.  My first mile was at 9:02 pace.  I was able to speed up to 8:33 for the second mile.

I was too inpatient with respect to what I did when I initially returned to running.  Instead of patiently following the "return to running" protocol on Dr. Su's website, I extended the length of my runs too quickly and also, ran for speed (i.e., sub-8 minute miles) too quickly.  My PT is a fan of the protocol where you run 3-4 minutes, walk 1 minute and so on and that  is essentially what Dr. Su's plan advocates.  So, if I could do it over again, I would take a slower approach.

With respect to my hip flexors, they are still a bit tight, but not the current problem according to my PT.  Pre-op, my left knee did not cave in due to bone spurs and other issues and my left leg actually swung out slightly as part of my stride.  Now the spurs are gone and the leg has greater range of motion, but the muscles that control the knee and parts beneath it need to be stronger.  Gradually, they are getting stronger and I am extending the distance of my non-stop runs.  Hopefully, there's a 5K in my future in early 2018!

Paprika

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 08:07:28 PM »
Fastboy, One more thing:  There is a very informative article, "Jogging & Returning to Impact Sports" by Cory Foulk.  I wasn't able to transfer the link, but you can google it.  Cory sets forth a protocol for warming up and cooling down - something that the Dr. Su plan doesn't do.  Anyway, I found it very helpful.  Good luck!

fastboy64

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 08:52:23 AM »
Thank you Paprika - that is very helpful.
Very best of luck with your running in 2018 - do keep us posted!
I'm going to start Dr Su's PT program at the ned of March, so I will look at strengthening glutes beforehand.
I'll let you know how I go.
David

pmonko1

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 12:15:39 PM »
I would recommend running on a treadmill to begin with, especially if the weather is crappy outside.  Even though my MD cleared me to run at 6 months, my muscles were still not ready.  I did my first 5 miler at about 10 months and haven't looked back since.

For strengthening purposes, pistol squats, lunges and a lot of core work will help tremendously.  I also did a lot of stair climbing and band walks going sideways which help strengthening the gluteus minimus muscles.

karlos.bell

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 04:14:08 AM »
 8) Cool>>>>>>>
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz