+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Still not attempted to return to football/soccer... 4 years on..  (Read 3513 times)

phill_will

Still not attempted to return to football/soccer... 4 years on..
« on: November 13, 2017, 01:43:33 PM »
Hi there, I'm looking for a bit of advice / motivation to be honest.. I'm 33 now, and initially underwent open hip surgery in 2011. This was to try and repair damage to my hip socket. It did not work and subsequently in August 2013 I had a resurfacement in my right hip. I was told this wouldn't necessarily prevent me from playing 5 a side football again, just to avoid 11 a side on a grass pitch due to increased chance of dislocation. I never really returned to football and over time my fitness has deteriorated.. I used to play twice a week and train twice a week. Not only do I miss playing but I also miss the social side of the game. In my work they've started up albeit to begin with a monthly 5 a side kick about, so I see this as a target something I could aspire to get back doing.. having felt resigned to the situation of never really playing again I'm trying to use this as a target / motivation to try and get back some fitness, and if possible get back to playing more frequently. Already I've hit a wall in that just trying to stretch a little and get heart rate up for 5 minutes it's painful. And I have kicked a ball a little, which again I do feel in my groin, but I think that could just be down to my lack of practice / kicking a ball about for so long. I was thinking of using a personal trainer for a bit, see if this helps me with my goal.. what I was looking for from the forum was whether anyone else has found themself in a similar position and whether anyone had any advice?
At the moment I feel resigned to the fact I'll never really get fit again which might sound irrational! Given my age along with the fact I'm soon to become a Dad I don't want to be sat down watching for the next 15 years+, I want to be getting involved. I've had another injury (foot) along the way that has required surgery which hasn't helped my progress and I think I've now reached a crossroads as to where I go next in terms of fitness etc.
Any advice welcome, thanks all.

chuckm

Re: Still not attempted to return to football/soccer... 4 years on..
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 01:58:57 PM »

Phill_will - you have to get out there and do it. But, you have to start slowly. Can't just jump into playing. I would do a twelve week buildup before returning.
A lot of regular walking at first and then add in some light running for a minute here and there while on the walks. Should walk at least twice per week if not more. After a month try to add a few sprints now and then as well.
In month three get on the pitch and try some conditioning and sprinting at least twice a week.
You probably could use a strengthening program too but I won't speak to that here.

Of course you could just jump into it and be met with lots of issues.

I play 11-aside twice per week with no pain or performance issues.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

WinfordM

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 10:16:25 AM »
I agree with Chuck, you need to go out there. Doesn't have to be anything crazy. Be aware of your limitations, but work on pushing them slowly. You'll be amazed of what you can still do, I'm sure.

LeonardWyckoff

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 03:02:40 PM »

Phill_will - you have to get out there and do it. But, you have to start slowly. Can't just jump into playing. I would use do a twelve week buildup before returning.
A lot of regular walking at first and then add in some light running for a minute here and there while on the walks. Should walk at least twice per week if not more. After a month try to add a few over the counter diet pills sprints now and then as well.
In month three get on the pitch and try some conditioning and sprinting at least twice a week.
You probably could use a strengthening program too but I won't speak to that here.

Chuckm
@Phill_will, this is the best advice that you can get. I've been through the phase and was about to say the same but why repeat? Start slow but steady and you'll get there. I did. So can you.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 05:12:32 AM by LeonardWyckoff »

John C

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 12:15:37 AM »
Phil. Yes, you have come to the right place for motivation. The reason most of the people on this forum got a resurfacing was so that they could get back to the sports we love. I had my first hip resurfaced when I was 57, and got right back to skiing 7 days a week all winter; and surfing, windsurfing, and playing tennis every day all summer. At 67, I just had my other hip resurfaced 4 months ago, and have been working out for 2 to 4 hours every day so that at six months post surgery, I can return to that same schedule.
It does take some time to get our hips in shape for any new activities. Dr Gross says that starting at six months, I can do anything I want, as long as I approach any new activity gradually. 33 years old is way to young to be slowing down. You have decades of athletic activity ahead of you. I have ski students in their 80s who are still charging, and work hard at staying in good shape. If you want it, that can be your future as well.
I liked your idea of working with a personal trainer, which if nothing else, will provide you with a regular kick in the pants to get your motivation going. The one thing I would suggest is to make sure that whoever you work with, whether it be a trainer or a PT, is familiar with resurfacing, and how to work with that. You don't want to hook up with some gung ho guy who just tells you to push through the pain while your hip is building back its strength and range of motion. You want to be pushed, but with some awareness of how to work with a resurfaced hip as you build back to top form.
If you want to make sure that it is okay to start pushing things, I would suggest having a check up with a resurfacing surgeon, hopefully the fellow that did yours. Explain to him your plans, and see if he approves. I would emphasize that it needs to be with a resurfacing surgeon, and not someone who does total hips, since the restrictions would probably be quite different.
Good luck, and hope this provides some of the desired motivation.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

herberthaul

• Phentermine
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2022, 04:08:59 AM »

Phill_will - you have to get out there and do it. But, you have to start slowly. Can't just jump into playing. I would do a twelve week buildup before returning.
A lot of regular walking at first and then add in some Phentermine 37.5 mg light running for a minute here and there while on the walks. Should walk at least twice per week if not more. After a month try to add a few sprints now and then as well.

Chuckm

This is the best advice you can get. I saw the scene and wanted to say something similar, but why dwell on it? Start slowly but steadily and you will get there. I did. You can do that too.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat