+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Dr Gross rtHR 3/12/18  (Read 1554 times)

Maureen

Dr Gross rtHR 3/12/18
« on: March 17, 2018, 12:48:59 PM »
I am 5 days post op and feeling pretty good overall.   I think the last few days have been a little rougher (the trauma of surgery catching up with me?) and I don't feel all that great (tired, a little feverish and bruised and swollen).
BUT the pain is not bad - sooooo much better than the pain I'd been dealing with for the past year and walking with one crutch already feels better than walking before !

I had some extra presurgery drama to an abnormal EKG in my physical.  I was found to have a prolonged QT interval (which can cause arrhythmias and sudden cardiac events).   I ended up having a full workup at a cardiologist and he cleared me for the surgery with the caveat that I had to avoid any medications that could lengthen the interval - including any anti-emetics and many meds used during surgery.    I know that restriction put Dr Gross and the anesthesiologist through their paces!   But the surgery went well - I ended up needing some bone grafts due to cysts and apparently had dysplasia as well.  I am so grateful that Dr Gross doesn't turn away small women or complicated surgeries!   And I was very fortunate that I didn't have nausea with the pain meds - there wasn't much I would have been able to take for that.   I actually took my last narcotic on day 3... Honestly, the worst part of the recovery for me so far was day 3 and the medication induced side effect of constipation :P

That and yucky impact of not sleeping very well. (I only woke up once last night - yay!)

I am cautiously optimistic that I will be running and rock climbing again in 6 months  :) 
and I just wanted to share my story
Warmest wishes to all the surface hippies and surface hippy wannabes!
Maureen
R HR Dr Gross - 3/12/18

einreb

Re: Dr Gross rtHR 3/12/18
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 10:11:27 AM »
I am 5 days post op and feeling pretty good overall.   I think the last few days have been a little rougher (the trauma of surgery catching up with me?) and I don't feel all that great (tired, a little feverish and bruised and swollen).
BUT the pain is not bad - sooooo much better than the pain I'd been dealing with for the past year and walking with one crutch already feels better than walking before !

The post surgery fatigue is interesting. I found it to be rather overwhelming at times, but if you consider all the effort your body is having to do to heal after the carpentry...  it sorta makes sense.  It will improve... two steps forward, one back, etc.

Congrats and good luck!
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

surratt

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 11:11:42 AM »
i wasnt prepared for the fatigue either.  Just making a trip to the kitchen the first week and making some food was exhausting.  Good thing is that goes away pretty quick within a couple weeks but its tough at first if you are on your own. 
Bilateral Hip resurface Dr. Gross
12/13/17
12/15/17

brianflanagan

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 10:19:55 AM »
Hi Maureen !

Thanks for sharing your story :-)

I was also quickly exhausted the first week after the surgery, though I am in excellent shape.
I stayed and still stay very chilled because I know that we need to be very patient, at least at the beginning.

Good luck with the recovery !
Left hip 11/03/2018 - Dr Chris Whately

karlos.bell

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 04:08:49 AM »
 :) Nice Maybe wait after 6 months before running?
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat