+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: Arthritic r hip in need of help!  (Read 3075 times)

carolynb99

Arthritic r hip in need of help!
« on: February 18, 2009, 05:53:59 PM »
Hello,

I am a 57 year old woman with severe arthritis in my right hip due to a bad car accident 30 years ago.  i broke both femurs, had a rod/nail placed in the right due to poor healing.  Now I wanted a hip replacement but the surgeon says he can't find the tool to remove the nail and it could be a disaster to remove due to calcification.  he mentioned hip resurfacing as an option.  I have been reading about the benefit/risks.  I am wondering if I do have a femoral break, or allergy, and a total hip has to be done, that could be a disaster too, i know there are no certainies in life but I am trying to get as much info as I can.  also I am looking for a dr in the new england area as i live in massachusetts.  thank you all,

Carolyn 8)

Bionic

Re: Arthritic r hip in need of help!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 06:08:19 PM »
Carolyn,

You might find this post helpful, as well as the thread as a whole: http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/index.php?topic=717.msg4768#msg4768

There's also this thread: http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/index.php?topic=72.0

I live just west of Boston and recently came back from S. Carolina, where I had my right hip resurfaced with Dr. Thomas Gross.  I thought it was well worth the trip.  The additional expense of traveling with my wife was probably less than $1000.  Not bad for the peace of mind of knowing I had used one of the best hip surgeons in the world.

Surgeons will often take complex cases like yours, but the complexity of your case tells me you should really seek out the best surgeon you can find.  Mine was a rather ordinary case, but I wouldn't let "just anybody" touch my hip.

Many doctors will accept x-rays by email and let you know whether you are a candidate for hip resurfacing.  I suggest getting a fresh set of x-rays in electronic form and emailing them to prospective docs for their impressions.
Right uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum
Feb. 11, 2009 with Dr. Thomas Gross and Lee Webb

carolynb99

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 06:18:13 PM »
Thank you for your reply...I just watched the interview with Dr. Gross and he seems very knowledgeable...how does the follow up work? Did you stay down there for a few weeks post-op?

obxpelican

• ~Welcome to SixBurgh~
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 06:40:55 PM »
Carolyn,

Dr. Gross's has an out of town protocol for his 6 week checkup, you go get x-rays and find a PT who is willing to fill out Dr. Gross's followup form.  It was easy, now Dr. Gross does like to see his patients one year post-op.  I'm looking forward to going back down to Columbia in August (my one year anniv).

Dr. Gross's patients usually are operated on Wed, leave the hospital Friday and go home Saturday.

Chuck

Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

dw

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 07:21:07 PM »
hi there - not sure who you're seeing in the greater Boston area - I had mine done on Dec 31, 2008 at Newton Wellesley by Dr Hanmer of Newton Wellsely Orthopedic. It's been doing great so far. I went in for my 1 month checkup a few weeks ago, and he had said he had done 15 + resurfacings in the 4 weeks since mine (and that included a holiday period).  He and his partner - Dr Snider have been advocates of resurfacing. might be worth getting their opinion.

carolynb99

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 08:09:11 PM »
Thanks again to all who have replied so far:

I do have an appt. with a Dr. Bierbaum at New England Baptist in March just for an opinion on the removal of the rod in the femur.  I don't think they do resurfacing there, at least it doesn't mention it on the website.   I have looked at Dr. Gross's website and I am getting my records to send there for his opinion, it seems he has alot of experience.  I am afraid to get  this procedure done because if there is a complication, I'll be left with no hip at all, which isn't good but I do want to explore all options.  This is so wonderful to get input from people, I was frustrated because I didn't know how to get more info. Thanks for having this forum available,

Carolyn  ;D

obxpelican

• ~Welcome to SixBurgh~
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 08:44:58 PM »
Carolyn,

I cannot stress this anymore in your case, find a doctor with a lot of experience.  Sometimes when a femur is broken the canal narrows or disappears, in that case even a THR can be tricky because there is nowhere where the stem can be placed.  I broke my femur in 1983 and that is where I am at, although Dr. Gross things a THR with a short stem would work in my case.

You need to think in terms of your future, you are still young with lots of life to live.  Like the first doctor I talked to said, "this is not cancer, you are not going to die from this".

A hip resurfacing allows you options in the future, a THR narrows your options, although if you had to go the THR option you might very well out live your THR.

You've taken the first step to walking straight lines pain free, you are weighing your options you are being a good patient advocate for yourself, don't stop, keep asking lots of questions.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

carolynb99

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 11:34:31 PM »
Chuck,

Thank you so much for those words of encouragement...I AM  young and I DO want to be able to walk again, you know, go sightseeing, walk a dog, work in my yard, but as you said, it's not cancer and I may have to live with this, I don't know.  I am walking a fine line between working towards a solution and accepting my condition.   At this point, I am going to find out as much as I can.  I am getting x-rays and going to send them to Dr. Gross, he seems to be the best qualified on the east coast anyway..Someone said today, " can't they just replace the whole femur?"  Ha!  Maybe a few years from now but I don't want to wait. 
 Thanks again, this is all so helpful and supportive,

Carolyn  :)

karenj_m

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 12:03:29 AM »
Carolyn:
Your case is complex, and you MUST get some of the very experienced doctors to take a peek at your xrays and your story.

(If its the same man) I saw Dr. Bierbaum in Boston when I was around 25 years old (I had my resurfacing done last year when I was 44 by Dr. Gross)...that man is incredible! Dr. Bierbaum was the "be end all" of orthopedic surgeons at that time. Just "google" him, and see.

His wisdom to me is you are too young for a THR, and you must wait (he was being followed by a team of interns when having this discussion with me). He then proceeded to show me some of the THR items "HE" was devising....he is not a cut happy doctor either.

But when I recently looked him up on the web to see if he had moved to hip resurfacings, I couldn't find anything. He still is working (and teaching) with THR's.

1. Send your xrays and written background via email to Lee Webb's email address for Dr. Gross of South Carolina to evaluate.

2. Wait for his reply, he may call you himself, and get the facts before scheduling ANY surgery. Dr. Gross also does THR surgery

Resurfacing "may" last a lifetime (the verdict is out until more years pass)...but if it doesn't, you have plenty of bone to move to a THR....

Its like changing the oil in your car (resurfacing) or ripping the engine out and replacing it because it needs oil (a THR).   :o

Read Pat's website as much as you can.

If you find out you ARE still a candidate for resurfacing...go to the best doctor you can, even if you have to travel (which I did - Northern NY to SC) and even if you have to pay a little out of pocket - do it.

Especially with your case = YOU NEED THE BEST EXPERIENCED SURGEON!

Karen

Karen
RH Biomet 56/50 uncemented / Dr. Gross (SC) 04/02/08

carolynb99

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 07:25:08 PM »
Thank you Karen for your reply,

I am in the process of getting as much info as I can and am sending my records to Dr. Gross so I am hopeful of some good news..It seems he is experienced in orthopedics in general as well as hip resurfacing...I am also seeing Dr. Bierbaum in a couple weeks, so I will post again when I know more.

Thanks again,
Carolyn :)

nwugrad

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 05:35:39 AM »
Carolynb,

I do not know where you live but if you are in the Northeast I would highly recommend Dr. Edwin Su and the Hospital for Special Surgery.  I recently had a bi lateral hip resurfacing by Dr. Su  at the HSS.  Post Surgery Dr. Su said that my hips were some of the worst he's ever seen, due to frazzled nerve endings, bone chips, osteophytes etc... My surgery lasted more than 3 1/2 hours.  Two days later I walked 250 feet without pain.  I'm 23 days post op and able walk more than a mile without pain.  I've also completed 24 hrs of PT to date.  My strength has been excellent and my range of motion already is heads and tails better than it was pre op. 

HSS is a special place. It is an orthopedic only hospital which contributes to it having the lowest infection rate in the US.  The staff, accommodations and even the food were excellent.  I can honestly say I had no serious paid post op. On a scale of 1 to 10 my pain never exceeded 2 or maybe 3. 

carolynb99

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 05:17:24 PM »
I just wanted to update everyone because you all were so supportive.  I saw Dr. Bierbaum last week at New England Orthopedics and he is going to do a total hip, he had no reservations.  I decided not to get the hip resurfacing after weighing the pros and cons.  thanks again for all the info,
Carolybn 8)

karenj_m

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 07:03:01 PM »
That's great Carolyn, at least you'll finally get some relief.

Is Dr. Bierbaum going to use a large Metal on Metal head (THR)?

Its much more durable long term and because of the large head, there's less issues with running into dislocations.
Karen
RH Biomet 56/50 uncemented / Dr. Gross (SC) 04/02/08

obxpelican

• ~Welcome to SixBurgh~
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 07:41:33 PM »
While this is a hip resurfacing hip support group I will say this modern MOM large head THRs are a very good replacement for HRs.  As Karen had stated, make sure you know what you are getting Carolyn. 

The older style THR devices come with many restrictions and are easy to dislocate and it's very painful if that happens.  I would walk, no RUN from any doctors that push one of those old style devices on me.

I wish you lots of luck with your upcoming surgery and we'll all be sending you lot's of prayers and good thoughts your way.  Please let us know how things work out.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats