+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Post op questions, please help!  (Read 7386 times)

hipster

Post op questions, please help!
« on: March 09, 2009, 01:30:14 PM »
Hi everyone,

Firstly, thanks to Pat for this website, my hat is off to you!

I am a semi-pro athlete(ski racing) who is getting a rt hip resurfacing with Dr Mont on April 9, 2009. Will I be able to sit in a car for a four hour drive (Baltimore to NYC) after discharge from the hospital? How long would anyone recommend before I fly back to Park City, Utah (4 hr flight from NYC)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks in advance,
Lou
RHR Wright C+/Dr. Mont/4-9-09

obxpelican

Re: Post op questions, please help!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 01:56:29 PM »
Hi everyone,

Firstly, thanks to Pat for this website, my hat is off to you!

I am a semi-pro athlete(ski racing) who is getting a rt hip resurfacing with Dr Mont on April 9, 2009. Will I be able to sit in a car for a four hour drive (Baltimore to NYC) after discharge from the hospital? How long would anyone recommend before I fly back to Park City, Utah (4 hr flight from NYC)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks in advance,
Lou

Your going to be fine, Dr. Mont is a good surgeon and you are probably in good shape, that helps a lot.

Many people fly home after their surgery, make sure to get wheel chair service at the airports before you fly.  For your flight you want to make sure you get a seat whereby you can stretch out your leg, if not if you are getting your right hip done sit on the left side so you can at least stretch it out.  Stay active on your way home with foot pumps or just get up to go to the bathroom.  Blood clots are something you don't want to deal with.

Driving wise I did 9 hours from Columbia, SC to Pgh, I drove around 3 of the hours back. 
Get a nice soft pillow to sit on, it helps.

Also know you may be swelled up the day you get back home, ice and elevate.... other than that with Dr. Mont you'll be fine.

Did I say you'll be fine?    ;D

Good luck.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 02:21:36 PM »
Hi

Good Luck with your upcoming surgery.  I would actually ask Dr. Mont how long he wants you to stay until he will let you drive home.

It is always best to get input from your own surgeon.  He will probably remind you to make sure you get out and walk every hour during your trip. 

I remember reading a story or two of people that drove home the day of leaving the hospital and wished they had not.  So I would see what Dr. Mont suggests and maybe get a handicapped motel room for a couple days if you don't want to drive right back.

A lot depends on how you are doing post op. Some people have quick and easy recoveries and others more slow recoveries.  It is difficult to guess what will happen. 

Let us know what Dr. Mont suggests.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

hipster

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 05:53:37 PM »
Sorry for not being a bit more descriptive. I am not driving from Baltimore to NYC, a friend or relative will be driving. I was just wondering if I will be able to ride in the car for 4 hours. Also, I am 39 and very fit, so I am hoping that the recovery will go well. I am to be at training camp in Chile in September!

Thanks,
Lou
RHR Wright C+/Dr. Mont/4-9-09

karenj_m

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 06:45:08 PM »
Hey Hipster:

You don't have to drive for 4 hours straight.

Stop every hour or so, and get out and move around...you can also bring ziplocks with you and stop and get ice and fill them up, so you can ice your leg in the car.

The car's seat should be reclined and all the way back (front seat)...sit on one or two pillows.

While in the car (before stopping every hour or so)...do foot pumps to keep good blood flow.

Usually the only discomfort is that your leg may be fat, and the incision area will be sore.

Dr. Mont is an excellent surgeon = you'll do fine...just let him know you are driving back...like Pat said, he may want you to hang around an extra day.

good luck...
Karen
RH Biomet 56/50 uncemented / Dr. Gross (SC) 04/02/08

obxpelican

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 07:04:36 PM »
You may well be ready in your mind by next August but Dr. Mont may not want you doing skiing 5 months post-op..... but you never know.  Being a fit athlete does help a lot though.   You'll do fine traveling home, like Pat said follow your doctors orders. Don't worry about travel, just don't push it too much post-op even if you feel great.

If you don't listen to your doctor Pat gets really angry, you don't want to make her mad.

Chuck

Sorry for not being a bit more descriptive. I am not driving from Baltimore to NYC, a friend or relative will be driving. I was just wondering if I will be able to ride in the car for 4 hours. Also, I am 39 and very fit, so I am hoping that the recovery will go well. I am to be at training camp in Chile in September!

Thanks,
Lou
Chuck
8-6-08

nwugrad

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 08:51:37 PM »
Hipster,

I had a 2 1/2 hr drive back from NYC.  I was stiff and a little swollen after the ride. I put an ice pack on at the beginning of the drive and then when I got home.  I suggest stopping for 10 minutes or so every 1 to 1 1/2 hours in order to walk and maybe stretch.  If you could keep your leg elevated it would help with the swelling. 

You'll be fine.

Best of Luck!

uberalan

• We can rebuild him, make him better than before.
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 11:47:42 PM »
 ???I am wondering how well I will fare with the flight from Charlotte to Denver (6 hours of travel) after bilateral hip surgery next week. ???

Alan/Denver

Soon to be double Gross hippy
Alan/Denver, CO
Dr. Gross, Biomet Magnum/Recap, Uncemented
RHR (3/16/2009) & LHR (3/19/2009)

crowed

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 11:01:44 AM »
I had my LBHR on 3 weeks ago on feb. 17th.  I am 41 years old and very fit.  My recovery is going well.  I had my lbhr surgery locally and had only a 20 minute drive home at discharge.  I know everybody is different, but I will NEVER forget my ride home from the hospital.  It was extremely painful and exhausting.  I was not anticipating this, so it was quite alarming.  I am sure I am not the only one who had this type of experience.  I hope your travel home is more pleasant, but I think it is important to be aware that you may need to give it time to get home after surgery.  Again, at three weeks post op, I am right on track with my recovery. I have been using a cycle training stand and cycling 30 minutes a day for the last 5 days.  My ROM is improving significantly, and I should be walking w/o a limp by week 5 or 6.  Good Luck!!

obxpelican

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 11:15:16 AM »
Alan,

Check with Lee on the protocol with bilaterals, they may want you doing things a bit different.

Make sure you are seated somewhere with leg room.    A pillow to sit on will be helpful, ice would help too.  Make sure to get wheelchair service at BOTH airports in advance for your trip home.

With Dr. Gross you'll do fine, believe me by Summer you'll be doing well, in fact come July I might even ask if you can come cut my grass.   ;D

Please keep in touch with us.

Chuck

???I am wondering how well I will fare with the flight from Charlotte to Denver (6 hours of travel) after bilateral hip surgery next week. ???

Alan/Denver

Chuck
8-6-08

uberalan

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 09:47:17 PM »
Chuck,

I did ask Nancy Smith about whether I should hang around Columbia into the next week, but she thought I would be fine to travel home on Sunday.  I will verify it with Lee and Dr Gross at my pre-op on Friday.   I have good bone density and believe I will be 100% weight baring.  I did take the luxury of booking first class on the flight back and those ticket are easily changeable, so if we need to stay into next week we can.

I just checked the surgical orders and my "reservation" for Monday is at 11:30 AM and Thursday is at 0730 AM, so I'll  hope have a PT session on Thursday afternoon.  Dr. Gross normally does surgery on Wednesday, but they have changed the schedule since the next week is spring break.

Hopefully by the time I return to Colorado spring will be in full force with some mild temperatures and I'll be able to walk in warmth.  Originally my surgery was scheduled with a local bone cutter for Dec 16th, because I wanted to fully recovered by the summer.  Little did I realize, my recovery may have limited to indoor walks do to snow, ice and cold temperatures.

Be glad to be able to cut your grass by summer.  I am taking my tiny notebook and will try to post next week.  Do they have wireless in the hospital?

Alan/Denver

Alan,

Check with Lee on the protocol with bilaterals, they may want you doing things a bit different.

Make sure you are seated somewhere with leg room.    A pillow to sit on will be helpful, ice would help too.  Make sure to get wheelchair service at BOTH airports in advance for your trip home.

With Dr. Gross you'll do fine, believe me by Summer you'll be doing well, in fact come July I might even ask if you can come cut my grass.   ;D

Please keep in touch with us.

Chuck

Alan/Denver

Alan/Denver, CO

obxpelican

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 10:04:53 PM »
Hey Alan,

Yes, they have wireless in the hospital I was able to get online a few hours after I got into my room.  I am glad to hear that you'll be flying first class back home.

Please tell Lee, Nancy and Dr. Gross I said hi, it seems like yesterday when I met them.  You will be fine with the crew they have the hospital is small but so very comforting and easy to get around.   You'll probably meet nurse Lynn, she was an early Dr. Gross surface hippy.

Believe me, this surgery is not as bad as you might be thinking, the worst for me is when I got nauseous, although not every gets like that.  When you wake up at least one hip will be totally pain free.  I never had pain worse than my worst pre-op days.

I really think after meeting Lee and his crew your mind will be at ease, their confidence really helps a lot.

I look forward to hearing about your journey. 

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

JeanM

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 11:17:22 PM »
Hi Alan,
You'll be fine!  I flew home to Salt Lake City, Utah.  Although I did have the luxury of hanging out at my sister's in North Carolina for a week.  I flew by myself the next week and I was perfectly fine.  If flying sooner, then I would advise bringing your polar care ice machine on the plane with you.  It will make your flight more comfortable.  That ice machine is a godsend in terms of comfort.  By the way, they will give you the ice machine in the hospital and you'll be able to take it home with you.  But, I bet you'll be surprised at how good you feel after you leave the hospital!  I felt awful while in the hospital because my heart rate and blood pressure were quite low.  By the time I left the hospital, I felt great and rapidly progressed each day.   I had no pain.  I never had to take anything stronger than Tylenol.  I can't promise that you won't have any pain, because everyone's different.  But, my recovery was much better than I ever thought possible.  So, don't worry too much.  Get 'er done and work from there!  Dr. Gross and his team are fabulous!  You're in good hands.  Dr. Gross has evolved his protocols over time and with experience to provide each patient the best possible experience in terms of pain reduction and rapid recovery. 

Best of Luck!  You'll find plenty of support on this forum.

Jeanie
Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/8-27-08

obxpelican

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 07:26:39 AM »
RIGHT!

What Jean said.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

uberalan

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 12:03:25 PM »
Chuck,

I will tell them you said "hi."  We are at the Courtyard Inn, waiting to head out for my pre-op appointment at 1:30.  We flew in from Denver last night arriving about 1 am at the hotel.  Changing planes in Atlanta involved changing terminals and we just barely made it with 30 mins between flights.  We go back the same way and only have 40 min to change planes, so I wonder if that will be enough with my post op condition?

Jeanie,

Did you fly out of Charlotte through Atlanta?  Sounds like a great post op experience, I hope I will have the same experience.

I have had great support on this forum and certainly thank everyone for all the message, private emails and offers to talk via phone.

Amazing the number of people that know about Dr. Gross and his patients.  The folks at Columbia Shuttle and the Hotel all asked if I was one of Dr. Gross's paitents when I mentioned that I was here for surgery.  He must be responsible for a lot of "tourist activity" in Columbia.

Everyone has been very friendly and nice.

Alan
Alan/Denver, CO

obxpelican

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2009, 12:16:53 PM »
When you hit your room you'll find that a whole wing of that hospital is the "Dr. Gross Wing"

I think you will come away from your surgery with a very positive feeling and hips that do not hurt anymore.

I'll be praying and sending positive thoughts your way Alan.

Chuck

Chuck
8-6-08

uberalan

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2009, 01:41:44 PM »
Chuck,

I certainly appreciate the prayers.  I am writing this from the waiting room at Midland Orthopedics using my iPhone.

Alan
Alan/Denver, CO

JeanM

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2009, 04:08:43 PM »
Hi Alan,
I was originally booked to fly direct.  However, a small hurricane coming up the east coast threw a wrench into that plan.  My flight was canceled and I was left with no choice but to connect through Atlanta.  As you found out, Atlanta is awful to connect through.  You almost always need to ride the monorail thing to switch terminals.  I used to do a lot of business travel and I've traveled through Atlanta countless times. 

My advice is to call your airline and arrange for wheelchair service ahead of time, especially since your connection is so tight.  The service is excellent and it will guarantee that you get through the Atlanta airport as quickly and effortlessly as possible.  Also, since you're 'wheelchair serviced' the airline will be able to identify where your are and that you're on your way since you're serviced by an attendent with a radio.  So, even if you feel great, you might still want to go for the wheelchair ride anyway, just to cut yourself some slack in case things get tight. 

The only thing is that I have to warn you  . . . the Atlanta airport has these newfangled wheelchairs that are incredibly hard and uncomfortable with absolutely no shock absorption.  Really weird.  So, it might not be the smoothest ride.  But, they'll get you there and everyone will move out of the way!

Best of Luck next week!

Jeanie

Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/8-27-08

obxpelican

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2009, 04:14:59 PM »
My suggestion is to "borrow" a pillow from the hospital and sit on that, it helped me a lot.  The hospital will give you a pillow, I asked and the nurse laughed and said take both of them.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

table46

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 10:37:08 PM »
Hi Lou, i hope your surgery went well. I have an first appointment to meet Dr Mont next week. I know it's early on but can you share your experience with me and what type of component was used. Wishing you a speedy recovery. AA

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat