+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 3 Year Anniversary  (Read 2535 times)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
3 Year Anniversary
« on: March 15, 2009, 08:34:22 AM »
Today, 3/15/09,  is the 3 year Anniversary of receiving my BHR with Dr. De
Smet of Belgium. Going to Belgium for a Hip Resurfacing was a wonderful
experinece.  I was 61 when I had my resurfacing. This is the link to the free book I wrote about my experience  http://www.surfacehippy.info/belgium&mybhrebook.php

My Surface Hippy website is also over 3 years old
http://www.surfacehippy.info    I began the website on 12/11/2005 to help
people learn about hip resurfacing. My website currently recieves over
10,000 unique visitors a month who generate over 120,000 page views a month.

I hope my story, along with hundreds posted on my website, will help perspective patients learn about Hip Resurfacing and what a wonderful option it is compared to a THR.

Good Luck to all the past Surface Hippies and those about to become Surface Hippies.  Life is a gift given to us to enjoy without pain.  If you have hip problems, Hip Resurfacing could be your solution to returning to an active, painfree life.

Patricia Walter
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Barbara

Re: 3 Year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 11:05:36 AM »
Congratulations on your 3 year anniversary Pat. I'm going to look at your book. Thank you for starting this website. It has been a godsend for me and has helped me tremendously pre and post op. I think you have built a wonderful community of hippies and I have felt very supported. This site has been my crutch in the last few months.

Barbara
RBHR 10/13/2008. LBHR 12/08/2009. Dr Pritchett, Seattle

Barbara
RBHR 10/13/2008. LBHR 12/08/2008. LBHR revision 1/18/2010, LTHR 9/23 2011, RTHR 12/16 2011............
Dr Pritchet, Seattle

uberalan

• We can rebuild him, make him better than before.
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 01:08:27 PM »
Pat,

Congratulations on the three year anniversary!

And thank you so very much for creating this web site and providing a venue to publicize the availability and benefits of hip resurfacing.

If it was not for your web site I am almost positive I would have ended up with a THR by a local doctor.  Instead, tomorrow at 11:30 AM, one of the nation's' premiere hip resurfacing surgeons will fix my right hip and two days later my left hip.  It was through your web site that I found out about Dr. Gross and your experience in traveling to Belgium and the experiences of others, who have traveled half way around the world or across the nation  for their surgeries that encouraged me to consider traveling half across the country to have my surgery.  I remember the first time I visited your web site, I almost instantly dismissed the idea of to travelling to another state (much less a foreign country) to have such major surgery.  It was after reading the numerous stories of others who had dared to push the envelop of not settling for the local doc and local hospital that I bagan to consider the possibility.

Not only have I come a long way literally for my surgery,but a long way mentally as well.  It was that mental trip that your web site helped me make.

We all owe you such a debt of gratitude.

Thank you.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 02:03:18 PM by uberalan »
Alan/Denver, CO
Dr. Gross, Biomet Magnum/Recap, Uncemented
RHR (3/16/2009) & LHR (3/19/2009)

stevel

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 01:36:29 PM »
Pat,

Congratulations on your three year anniversary.  Thank you for your website.  I have researched a lot of information, including participating in a half dozen Doctor chats, to successfully receive a left hip resurfacing.  I continue to research this website.  I first learned about your website from a former Juneau resident who now lives in Seattle who received a hip resurfacing from Dr. Gross in South Carolina a few years ago even before the BHR was approved by the FDA.

Lately I've been researching physical therapy and return to sporting activities.  I downhill ski and consider my abilities as an advanced/expert skier, and I realize that many orthropedic surgeons are conservative with regard to this sport, due to all the injuries they treat.  For instance, Dr. Mont in his chat, doesn't even recommend downhill skiing - ever.

Today at 5 1/2 months post-op, I'm going snow shoeing :)
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

mari

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 07:29:50 PM »
Congratulations, Pat!

It was through this site that I became familiar with many of the medical terms such as "stress shielding", and learned so much about the difference between resurfacing and a replacement.  Your list of doctors led me to Dr. Gross.  At first I didn't consider going that far out of state, but after all the reading I did I was convinced I wanted to go to someone with much experience. 

Thank you very much for the time and energy you put into this website.  I am recovering nicely at 3 1/2 weeks, and I am grateful!

Right Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Gross February 2009

sunny

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 08:06:55 PM »
Wonderful news Pat on 3 years and going strong, so keep it up. I am new at this site, wish I had looked further into the web earlier, before I had my surgery.  I would of learned alot more, now I am learning alot from your site, after the fact.  So thanks for the site.  I am 3 months now, and hope to continue improving.  I am 64.

obxpelican

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 09:02:09 PM »
Congrats on walking straight lines on that Dr. Desmet Hip Pat.  Although had you gone to Dr. Gross you would have done much better   ;D  (JK)

All kidding aside thanks for the site, it's helped and educated me more than you'll ever know. 

I know the work you put into this site since I've worked on websites before, you should be making over 6 figures with all the work you put into it, not to mention having to deal with the occasional difficult poster that just makes it harder for ya.

Thanks again Miss Patty.

(((((HUGS)))))

Chuck (Obxpelican)
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

mtnhippy

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 03:48:55 PM »
Pat,

WOW three years.  Congratulations!  THANKS SO MUCH for all your time and the abundance of research available on this web site.  I check it daily (don't always sign in) and appreciate everyone's stories and support.  I'm five and a half months post op on my LBHR and expect to have my RBHR in October, 2009 so I'll continue to rely on this web site for information and support.

Vickie
LBHR - October 7, 2008 by Dr. Joshua Hickman
RBHR - October 6, 2009 by Dr. Joshua Hickman

karenj_m

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 04:02:07 PM »
Happy anniversary Pat!  ;D   ;D  ;D   ;D

And "thank you soooooo much" for making your wonderful website, which was a god-send to me when I found out about resurfacing....

Thank you for continuing to help others...we are all very grateful for the work you do.
Karen
RH Biomet 56/50 uncemented / Dr. Gross (SC) 04/02/08

bradley

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 01:30:50 AM »
Congratulations Pat!

Thank you for such a supportive and informative site. You have been a godsend to me over the last 6 months since I found it. I was in great pain and could barely walk because of my osteoarthritis and was offered THR which did not feel right for me. Then miraculously I came upon your website and found out all about hip resurfacing. I am now 6 weeks post op from a BHR and pain free. I access your site every day and you all feel  like a supportive "family" to me. Thank you again.
Long may you run.

bothdone

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 05:06:03 AM »
Hi Pat

Congratulations on your hip's 3rd birthday.  It feels good to be there doesn't it.

Today (March 19th) is my right hip's first birthday.   It has got a long way to go before it catches up with my left hip which is 5 years old in May this year.   

Perhaps you could set up a thread for people to add their yearly hipdays?  And another one for monthly hipdays for those in that all-important first year after surgery?

Like others, I'd add my grateful thanks for this website.   Including my stays in hospital, I've only met two other Birmingham Hippies.   Its good to be part of this community.

Best wishes to everyone.

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

Barbara

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 03:35:43 PM »
HAPPY HIPDAY ED ;D

Barbara
Barbara
RBHR 10/13/2008. LBHR 12/08/2008. LBHR revision 1/18/2010, LTHR 9/23 2011, RTHR 12/16 2011............
Dr Pritchet, Seattle

fenceman

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 09:51:39 AM »
Congrats and thanks for all you do to help and educate.  It is amazing how many people you touch that just read and do not post.

Bill
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat