+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Mountain Biking by Shelly Perlmutter  (Read 11569 times)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Mountain Biking by Shelly Perlmutter
« on: June 07, 2009, 09:19:18 AM »
My name is Shelly. I had a friend take this video mountain biking in Dolores Colorado on 6/2/09 I had my left hip resurfaced by Dr. Gross on 9/6/06. You will have no problem climbing up or going down trails. The hip works as a normal one would. If you are thinking about it. and you want to enjoy life again, GO FOR IT..

See Shelly's video at the Athlete's Videos on the Surface Hippy Videos

http://www.surfacehippy.info/shvideos/videosathletes.php

or on Shelly's Hip Story Page 

http://www.surfacehippy.info/hipstories06/shellyperlmutter06.php

Posted for Shelly by Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

powderhippy

Re: Mountain Biking by Shelly Perlmutter
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 08:34:03 PM »
Thanx Pat for posting. One of the nice things about our new hips is that we can bike to our hearts content...One of the first things that was immediate was throwing my leg over the bike instead of lying it down and stepping over it to start my ride. Almost 3 years out, its not a thought...
Enjoy the video, and as I said, lets see some more pics or movies... Its fun to watch fellow hippies or let those who are thinking of having the procedure...  The hip is as natural as can be.  I'll get some more vids with some really steep climbs. That's when you feel the power in your leg once again without the constant pain... best, Shelly
Dr. Gross/Lee Webb  Left hip 9/6/06 cement,  Right hip 6/23/10 uncemented

larry2458

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 08:28:44 AM »
i've certainly been enjoying mountain biking and road cycling.
before my op i could still get my bad hip over the saddle,but couldn't get my good one over.since then i can throw both legs over.
i've had a few offs too,one of which i landed on my coccyx,that still hurts 10 weeks after.
cycling seems so natural compared to running and my leg only ached for the first couple of rides.
shelly's video was superb but i'm not sure about the clipless pedals ?!?
                                             good luck
                                                  larry
lbmh 16th october 2008

powderhippy

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 12:47:20 AM »
Hey Larry,
 Thanx for your input..   Clipless is no problem once your leg gets back into shape. You get over the feeling of "clipping out" after a few tries and realize your hip is doing the same thing as before surgery (without the pain.)
 If you're worried about clipless and want the power but not that feeling of being clipped in, there is a great device out there called
 "Power Grips pedal straps."   They work great and you don't have that feeling of being clipped in. You use regular pedals and the strap works to keep your foot clamped down on the pedal. But you can release easily. Check it out.
Enjoy the riding, Shelly

larry2458

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 04:05:11 AM »
cheers shelly
i'll have a look at that.
i don't think i could  ever get used to clipless off-road,its that feeling of on no !! what do i do now,when you cant twist your foot out.
on road its no problem and i think its more of a mind thing now.
i've not come across any other surface hippy's on MTB's yet.
what sort of bike(s) have you got ??
                                                      thanks again
                                                       larry     
lbmh 16th october 2008

powderhippy

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 11:07:27 PM »
Hey Larry,
   a Jamis Dakar XCR Pro.......Get alot of use out of it here in SW Colorado and the Moab area.     Shelly

larry2458

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 03:29:40 AM »
hi shelly
i haven't seen many jamis (hardtails) over here but the ones i have seen are well specced for the money.
cant put those straps on my pedals as there nothing to fix to.
you have some really good MTBing country there haven't you ??

keep riding
                               larry
lbmh 16th october 2008

CeeJay15

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 06:21:53 PM »
Mountain biking only 3 months post-op? That is so incredibly encouraging. I am having my BHR done on July 15th and I thought that my MTB season was over.
Carolyn
Right BHR Dr. Rector July 15, 2009

powderhippy

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 07:37:50 PM »
Yep Larry....the biking around here is superb...My shoulder surgeries can tell you that...LOL.   You can get lightweight pedals that you can secure those Power grips to...they are pretty inexpensive.  They'd help on climbs and you'll feel secure riding singletrack with those things... BTW, where do you live?
 CeeJay.... My doc...Dr. Gross, wouldn't let me ride on my bike till 6 months. You can ride way earlier then that, but the doctor said how did I get my shoulder injuries. I said from mtn. biking. The he said," that's why I wait the 6 months."  He feels all the healing is pretty much complete so if a fall occurs the hip is pretty secured. I'm conservative in my rehab and I've figured if I'm going to have this hip for a VERY LONG time, what's a few more months. But that's just me and its been working great for almost THREE YEARS.....Keep finding those great trails....Shelly

larry2458

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 03:45:25 AM »
shelly
had to laugh when you mentioned shoulder injuries,are you carrying metal in your shoulders too  ;D
i've got a titanium plate in my right shoulder from a motor-bike accident but have gone over the bars a few times without anything snapping.
when i went to see my consultant last year ,he was MTBer and encouraged me to carry on before my op to stay fit.
i was talking to the anaesthetist about cycling as well whilst he was putting the needle in my back (surreal moment)
i miss the power going uphill that clipless gives you, as you say,but they just don't feel right off-road :(
                                      watch those rocks
                                           larry
lbmh 16th october 2008

CeeJay15

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 10:59:50 AM »
Hi Shelly -

Oh 6 months sounds more reasonable than three. I was going to wait until next season to get back on my mountain bike. So true, you don't want to take a nasty spill and ruin the new hip!
Thanks for your reply!
cj
Carolyn

JeanM

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 11:11:46 AM »
Hey, who says there aren't too many MTBers on SurfaceHippy?  I'm a mountain biker too!  Also, a Gross Hippy.  I'm at 9 months post-op and mountain bike all the time.  As a matter of fact, I'm heading out on Tuesday for a week of mountain biking and camping Tour de Utah.  I live in Salt Lake City.  Anyway, I've had no problem mountain biking since surgery.  Last year, I rode right up to surgery.  But, not without pain killers and it was difficult getting on and off the bike and clipping out on my left side.  This year, I can actually throw my leg over the bike and I no longer have to brace myself for a shot of pain when I clip out.  Life is good!

Oh and yes, I've also had my share of shoulder injuries . . . tore the rotator cuffs in both shoulders in various crashes mountain biking and snowboarding.  Now, I try to take better care of my shoulders to  prevent injury.  lol.  I also am older now and don't go as hard!

Happy riding everyone!

Jeanie
Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/8-27-08

larry2458

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 11:33:03 AM »
 :)hi jeanie
who did say there weren't many MTBers on here, anyway we'll be outnumbering the runners soon.have you fallen off since your op??

keep pedlin
                                          ps what bike(s) have you got
                                         i've got a rock lobster and a trek

lbmh 16th october 2008

CeeJay15

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 12:08:03 PM »
Hi Jeanie and Larry -

MTBers ROCK. I have been road riding more this year because I find that hard climbs and fast descents bother my bad hip. They did not at all last year.
I live in Western Colorado near Fruita - the MTB capital! Awesome trails out here.
Jeanie - I just completed the road ride "Little Red Riding Hood" up in Wellsville, UT this past weekend. 67 miles - awesome scenery - great people - 2600 women only ride.

cj
Carolyn

JeanM

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 12:12:48 PM »
Why I believe that you said it!  It was more like 'I haven't come across too many surface hippies on MTB's'.  Yep, we're out here.  I ride a Santa Cruz Superlight, the Julianna version, which is a woman's specific geometry for small women.

No, I have not fallen since my surgery.  

JeanM

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2009, 12:21:29 PM »
Carolyn,
I typically do the Little Red every year.  I love that ride!  It's such a lovely place to road ride.  This year, they closed the registration early at 2600.  I didn't register early enough, so I was shut out.  I was so bummed!  They sent out emails saying that they were filling up.  But, I guess I didn't believe them because I continued to procrastinate about getting my registration in.

The MS150 is also in Cache Valley.  It's July 27th & 28th this year.  Are you planning on doing that one?

It sounds like your pre-op still, huh?  I also did more road riding last year due to my hip.  So, I'm looking forward to getting more mountain biking in this year.  Last year, practically the only thing I could do was ride a bike.  I could definitely cycle better than I could walk.  So, I did a lot of it!

Do you have plans for a resurfacing yet?

Jeanie

larry2458

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2009, 12:33:12 PM »
Why I believe that you said it!  It was more like 'I haven't come across too many surface hippies on MTB's'.  Yep, we're out here.  I ride a Santa Cruz Superlight, the Julianna version, which is a woman's specific geometry for small women.

No, I have not fallen since my surgery.  

sorry jeanie
yeh i did say it didn't i.i think i meant out on the trails (i think) santa cruz have got to be one of the best bikes out there !!
what've you got carolyn ??
my wife has a rockhopper pro that doesn't get used much!!
                                        larry
lbmh 16th october 2008

CeeJay15

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2009, 01:18:11 PM »
Jeanie -

My surgery is scheduled for July 15th so I'll miss that ride! If you plan on LRRH next year though, we should try to meet and compare hip stories!!

I ride a Haro Werx - got a great deal - a $3000 bike for $1800 - from the owner of Brown's Cycles here in Grand Junction. I think he felt sorry for me cause my hubby did not secure my original MTB to the bike rack and it actually fell off and we lost it! Long story but now I have an awesome bike!

cj
Carolyn

powderhippy

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2009, 01:12:49 AM »
Hey CeeJay,
   Have friends who will be biking your way in a couple of weeks on the Bike Tour of Colorado...They'll probably do the Monument option. Always think of American Flyer with Kevin Costner in that classic movie when passing that way.
 I tried last year on the Yahoo Hippy site to get a White Rim trip together last September. My good friends have a mtn. biking company in Moab (Magpie Adventures) so it was going to go thru them. Everyone was interested but no one would commit. Maybe we all could try it in another year or so. A whole crew of "hippys" would be cool.
 Wishing you (and it will be) much success in your upcoming new hip surgery. This thing REALLY works and works well. I also have a video of me skiing to prove how much you will come back.. Check it out under Skiing section and look for the video.
 Everyone be safe out there on the trails....best, Shelly

JeanM

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2009, 11:03:40 AM »
Carolyn,
I would love to meet you for the LRRH next year!  Good luck with your upcoming surgery.  Who is your surgeon?

Shelly,
I awhile back, I recall seeing some things about a potential Surface Hippy White Rim Tour.  Then, it seemed to disappear.  I would love to see that get resurrected in the future!  I would definitely join in. 

Jeanie

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat