+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: For the ladies  (Read 5675 times)

Lake girl

For the ladies
« on: July 02, 2009, 12:17:31 PM »
I know that this might seem like a silly question, but here it goes. What did all of you gals do about shaving your legs? I haven't had the surgery yet, but I was wondering about it. After all you can't break the 90 degree rule, right.  ;D  ???  :D

Lake girl
Still on the waiting list

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: For the ladies
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 12:31:51 PM »
Hum - a few thoughts  ;D

Don't worry about it - you are recovering from major surgery.

Only shave one leg!

Have your boyfriend, husband or girlfriend do it for you.

Wear long pants!

Stay in a dark room   :D

You will have more things to think about.  When you feel good, you will be able to shave your legs.  Not all surgeons have the 90 degree rule.  Check with him/her first.

Good Luck!

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

West106

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 04:32:47 PM »
Pat is 100% right, I do not think you will care much.  I have not shaved my operated leg since the morning of surgery on June 6, 2009.  I do try,  and see it as great progress that I can not get just below my knee.  I have even been living in dresses because they are much easier to put on after sugery than pants.  I bought a bunch of sundresses prior to surgery knowing they would be much easier to put on without any help, and I did not want anything to touch my hip. Good luck

Debbie

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 06:34:51 PM »
My doctor said that I can go to 120 degrees as long as my leg is turned out.  If I put that foot up on something I can shave it except for the outside of my ankle.  If I use the "golfer's" bend (or so my PT calls it) where I put my operated leg out behind me and bend my good leg while standing on it I can shave much of that leg.  I could only start to do this on about day fifteen.  Before that I just wore long skirts the first week or two and had my husband shave my legs the first time.  He didn't do a great job, but it got me started. :)

katielinco

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 07:39:21 PM »
I had the same concern.  I know it's a bit vain but it's one of those things that I knew would make me self-conscious and if I could find a way to shave, it's a bit of "normalcy" in my world.

So, before surgery, I got my legs waxed.  (First time ever for me and it stung a bit but it was quickly over.)  It lasted about 3 weeks but there were a few spots that she missed that were bothering me.  About 2 weeks after surgery, I decided to try to do something about it.  I have a big soaking tub (that I never use) and so I put my shower chair in it.  I put a chair in my bathroom before surgery so I could sit down to get dressed, put on my sox, etc.  I slid from that chair to the ledge at the tub to the shower chair.  I then took a razor and “stuck it” into the end of my clothing stick thingy.  To get my leg lathered up, I used my loofah on a stick.  It’s certainly not the best shaving job I’ve ever done but it’s better than it was.  I also had a pitcher of water already filled and was able to strategically pour it over my leg to rinse it off.  This worked pretty well and I'm going to do it again this weekend.  Although I have broken the 90* rule on a few occasions, I'm trying to abide by it so this is my compromise.  The trick is finding a razor that will fit into the stick thing without moving.  It took 3 different kinds for this!

Katie

Josephine18

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 08:49:17 PM »
Glad to hear the shaving issue has crossed a few other minds out there! Pat and the others are right in that I am sure it will not be as much of an issue once the surgery is done and you (and the rest of us pre-hippies) are in the early stages of recovery. Still … I am preparing for my post-surgery shaving by getting a 12 inch ruler and taping a Schick Intuition razor to one end of it.  The Intuition razor is the one that has the big moisturizer bar right on the razor, so there is no need for any additional gel or shaving cream.  It will lather and shave in the same step. The razor itself has a pretty wide and flat handle, so it works well with a flat extender like a ruler.  I have tried it when sitting on a height comparable to a shower chair, and it does a decent job, and that will be just fine by me until I can put the 90 degree rule in the rearview!

Lake girl

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 09:07:51 PM »
Lots of great ideas. I usually use an electric shaver, so maybe I can get my hubby to do it for me. Although I don't think that he would be all that enthusiastic(sp?) :D. I don't know when my surgery will be maybe it will be during the winter and then my hairy legs can just keep me warm. HaHa

Lake girl
Still on the waiting list

Debbie

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 10:17:28 PM »
I am truly impressed by some of the ingenious solutions you girls have come up with.  It is great that there is a forum for us to discuss things like this and learn from others ideas and suggestions.  Thanks Pat!!!!

musica

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 03:53:22 PM »
Gee, I never thought about this.  I haven't had surgery yet and so far have been able to shave my legs except for the outside near the ankle on my bad side.  My biggest problem has been not being able to cut my toenails for a few months now.  My husband does it for me but leaves the nails a bit uneven and I'm always afraid he's going to cut me, although he hasn't yet. 

Thanks for all the great ideas.  I'm going to start experimenting so I'll know how to do it when the time comes (although, as others have mentioned, I'll probably have other things to worry about then).

Debbie

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 04:07:34 PM »
I gave up on cutting my toenails about six months before surgery due to range of motion issues.  My husband did a similar scraggly job so I finally used that to justify pedicures once or twice a month. ;)  The even better news is that I had my hip resurfaced two months ago and am now able to cut my own toenails again when I need to.  I did not bother to update my husband because I have been liking the pedicures. :)   

musica

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 01:01:23 AM »
Good thinking!  I was also thinking about getting pedicures.  I've only ever had one before in my life - 3 years ago for my son's wedding.  That place has gone out of business so I  have to find a new place to go....think I'll start looking while I'm on vacation.

Debbie

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 05:35:23 PM »
Depending upon where you live, you can find a pretty reasonable deal.  There is a place near me that is nice and clean that does a spa pedicure with a very short massage for $13.95.

oxley

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 10:55:46 PM »
My husband shaves them every noght!! LOL

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM