+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Coaching Again Question - Help?  (Read 3538 times)

countingdown

Coaching Again Question - Help?
« on: November 12, 2009, 09:38:37 PM »
I have my surgery this coming Monday.  Any thoughts as to whether I'd be able to coach a lacrosse game 20 days later?  Is standing on crutches for a few hours difficult?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 09:47:06 PM by countingdown »

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
Re: Coaching Again
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 09:46:50 PM »
I wouldn't count on it. But you never know, Standing and coaching for a couple of hours at three weeks post op is pretty ambitious. I coached cross country after my second surgery 2 weeks post op but I sat down occasionally and wore compression socks to alleviate swelling of the lower leg. Also the practices were only 90min long. Everyone recovers at a different rate,
just listen to your body.

best,

spencer

countingdown

Re: Coaching Again Question - Help?
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 09:47:52 PM »
Thanks.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 08:50:53 AM »
Hi

Good Luck on your upcoming surgery.

Who is your surgeon and where are you located?

Some surgeons have very restrictive post op instructions while others are very liberal.  I was walking over a mile a day with one crutch at 10 days post op, but I received my BHR in Belgium with Dr. De Smet.

YOu will need to ask your surgeon what he/she will allow.  You should not assume anything early in your recovery.  Listen to your body.  If it hurts or you are tired, stop and rest.  You will have the rest of your life to use you new hip, just make sure it can heal properly in the early days. That is most important.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

mpschrader

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 02:42:54 PM »
I coach high school b-ball (which starts tomorrow.)  I'm 24 days post op and ready to go.  My first practice is 3 1/2 hours and I'm confident that I'll be fine.  I don't plan on demonstrating anything (yet) but I plan on being as active as I was on the 1st day last year.  I'll let you know how it goes.  I went back to work teaching high school math at 20 days post op.  Aside from getting a little tired in the afternoon, all has gone well.
Mark

countingdown

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 08:47:25 PM »
Mark - thanks.  That's very encouraging (although I know that my situation could be different).  Good luck with your practices and season!

countingdown

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 08:49:17 PM »
Pat - thanks for the post.  My doc is Richard Schubert here in Dallas.  I will certainly follow his and my body's lead.  I hear you on looking long-term.  Thanks for what you are doing with this site.  Also - like the dogs, grew up and have had springers my whole life. :)

tmaroo56

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 11:31:41 PM »
I know this goes without saying, but I am going to say it. Stay out of harms way when the action comes your way. Being on an uneven surface and having to move quickly is not a good combo after surgery.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 07:44:42 AM »
Thanks for your kind words about the website.

Yes - springers are neat.  I belong to English Springer Rescue and have helped a lot of springers in the past.  I don't do much rescue work any longer, but still have 11 dogs left.  I do the websites for several shelters and worked as the assistant manager at ours a few years ago.  Tough job and I ended up with a big doggie family from being at the shelter to much. We have a very high kill shelter.  So it is never very quiet at my house! The dogs do, however, love hip resurfacing since I am active and can do anything again.

Good Luck with your upcoming surgery Monday.  I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.  Keep in touch when you can.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat