+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: t-minus one week!  (Read 1843 times)

Cutter3

t-minus one week!
« on: September 13, 2010, 04:38:48 PM »
Wow.    The last month has flown by - on Tuesday afternoon of next week, Dr Klug (Kaiser Roseville) will be performing a hip resurfacing (BHR) on me.    Initially, my wife and I were told that his backlog is 5-6 months, but during an email exchange, he gave me the name of his surgery coordinator.   Turns out I called her on the right day - the operating room managers/staff had opened up more spaces for his patients, and I was able to shave 4-5 months off of the wait.

We're spending the next week getting ready - paperwork with Kaiser and my work, prepping the house (I'll be living in the den -in a rented hospital bed - for the next month or so after surgery), and trying to tie up loose ends at work.  Also ripping a lot of my movies to my laptop so I don't have to stare at the walls in the hospital...

I'm excited, I'm worried, I'm hopeful, I'm pessimistic.   Quite the gamut of emotions once you sit down and think about it.   I sometimes wonder if I'm doing the right thing - usually after a good day where the hip doesn't hurt too bad.   Then I'll go back to the bad/typical days where it just hurts...

I appreciate all of the information provided at this site, and all of the experiences represented here.  Hope to add some positive feedback once the deed is done...

jgenese

Re: t-minus one week!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 06:25:41 PM »
Cutter3,
Wow is right. I have the same feelings going on. Mostly bad days where it even hurts to walk to the end of the driveway to get the mail followed by really good days. Lately not too many good days. I had a hip injection today to ease the pain before we leave next week for Hawaii. Hoping it works or it's going to be a tough vacation. Wednesday I have my first consult with Dr. Marchand about hip resurfacing. I'm nervous but need relief. I'm glad for you on your schedule change. Better to get it over with sooner. Good luck to you next week. Keep me posted

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 09:31:40 AM »
Hi Cutter3

It is typrical to have all the feelings you are expeirncing.  Try most to stay positive and see yourself healed and out of pain.  The time will go by fast and you will be able to walk and work toward your healing.  Take it easy in the early weeks, don't try to push it.  The body will heal at it's own rate.  Many people have pretty easy recoveries - I wish that for you.  Meantime, stay positive and enjoy the support of your family.  You will soon be on the other side.We look forward to hearing about your journey.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

pc

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 11:12:00 AM »
I certainly relate with your feelings. I am post op one week today. I consider my self a logical, rational person who seeks reasonableness with most decisions. I say that only because I got carried away with my what-if game prior to the surgery. I threw out all of the rational thinking as the time of my surgery came closer.  In fact, I experience pretty intense anxiety, to the point of panic attacks, all through the night before surgery. It doesn't help that I am also somewhat of a control person. The kind that rather fly the plane than have an experienced pilot make the journey safe. Over the years I have learned to let go the control attitude and relax more  with loss of control situations. The rational part of this story is that I found a remarkable team of doc's and had conditioned the hell out of myself leading up to the surgery. I though that I had mentally prepared for a positive outcome. Old habits die hard, as indicated the night before surgery I threw all the planning out the window and found myself back to the what-if game.

Fortunately, my wife all the way to the hospital and the night before reminded me to trust the medical staff and all the pain that I had been in the past year and a half. She reminded me that through the past year and a half that I had lost enjoyment of life, as simple as being able to bend over and field ground balls with the little league kids. I could no longer run which had been a life passion, getting on a bike was even painful to watch let alone the true physical pain. I was only able to ski once last year and couldn't walk for two weeks after that little adventure (skiing is a part of our community let alone a 40 year passion of mine). Last but not least, she reminded me that I walked like a 90 year old person, where only a few years ago I could still run 6 minute miles.

As I mentioned above, I am a rational minded person and I had just been given a large dose of rational thrown at me by my wife and still I would like to have run out of the hospital the morning of surgery. To me I had experienced a remarkable recover in the waiting room. Look I told my wife; I can walk with out pain, I could probably even go for a nice six mile run if I wanted to. Hell, I even stood up and showed her that I walked even with out a limp. A "second fortunately" is that my wife can be pretty persuasive and mildly told me to sit down and shut up. As she put it " You could barely walk out of here let alone run, so relax and start the healing process now."  Still I worried up until the moment of VERSED.

One week later I can say that I am excited beyond belief about the possibilities to come. I am progressing much quicker than I had anticipated. Quite honestly, the pain before surgery was much more difficult than the surgery pain. I am up and walking as much as I can tolerate, taking almost no pain meds, and in a sense enjoying the experience. I have been told many times over in my life that our feelings and attitudes are shaped by the stories we tell ourselves. Try to not let your anxiety tell your story. Yours story can be one of excitement and wonderment. I wish that I had remembered that leading up to the night and day of surgery and I could have saved myself a lot of needless worry.  All will be fine. Trust your doctors and don't be afraid of being vulnerable. By the way, a little anxiety is helpful in making sure all the planning is done prior to any tough situation.  Rick

Cutter3

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 04:21:12 PM »
appreciate the good vibes, everyone.    I'm trying not to think about the what-ifs, and to just relax until its time (at which point I'll freak out...   ;)).   I learned a couple of years ago (when I had an emergency appendectomy) that my stubborness could be a detriment to healing - I would refuse pain meds because I thought I could get by without them.   That cost me an extra day or two in the hospital, as I wasn't allowing my body to rest enough to heal properly.   To that end, I have already promised my wife that I will take whatever pain meds they give me, and do whatever the nurses/doctors ask of me.    I'm going to be a good little patient this time...    ;D

My comfort level with Dr Klug is also very helpful.   I've met him in person once, but we've emailed back and forth for the last month.   He knows his stuff, and I feel very secure in my decision to see him.   My wife, who is a nurse, asked him during our initial meeting about what would happen if he opened me up and decided to do a THR instead.   His answer was very honest - "When I go in, the hip is mine.  I'm looking to hit a home run each time, and if I feel that a THR is the best option, I'll go that route."    While I don't WANT a THR, the level of confidence that he has in the situation and the way he said it made me very comfortable.

My wife have talked a lot these last couple of weeks, and she does a good job of reminding me that the good days are a lot fewer than the bad ones.   I''m in your previous situation, Rick, although not as athletic - a good day of yardwork or playing with my 10 year old would put me out of commission for a week at a time...

Chris

Lopsided

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 10:21:09 PM »
There are lots of 'what ifs' in life in general, that should not worry you.

You should look forward to, and enjoy the whole process of your new hip.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal