+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Sleep positions post op???  (Read 6919 times)

joedb123

Sleep positions post op???
« on: March 30, 2011, 07:13:53 AM »
Hi all,

At 5 days post op, I am still sleeping on my back. I think this is the right thing to do.... correct? I am wondering when you know that you can sleep on your side (my preference) or stomach. Any shared thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe D.

halfdone

Re: Sleep positions post op???
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 07:33:07 AM »
I was under very strict instructions to stay on my back for weeks first time around, but the surgeon and PT were more relaxed about it second time.  I was allowed to sleep on the operated side after a couple of weeks (but of course this is not very comfortable soon after the op!).  I assume that the restriction is all about not placing the wrong kind of torque/twist forces on the hip in early rehab, which is sensible.  My solution was to cheat a little (don't tell!) but I buttressed my position with pillows all around and with a pillow between my legs, all of which kept me stable with little torque and allowed me to sleep a little on my non-op side in the 2-3 week time frame.

Realistically most of us need to resign ourselves to not much sleep in the first 2-4 weeks and improvise as best we can.  I found cable news particularly soporific.  The only thing I have never really forgiven my lovely wife for is that she "will never have one of those ugly recliners in my house!"  ;D  But that's now history.

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 08:34:32 AM »
Except for the 90 degree rule Dr. Gross reccommends listening to your body, it took me a couple days but with a body pillow between my legs I was able to lay on my non operated hip 7 days post op then shortly after that I got brave and rolled on my operated side.

For me it was heaven because I just cannot sleep on my back.

Check with your doctor though.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

FlbrkMike

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 10:48:24 AM »
I was told that I could sleep on my side as soon as it was comfortable, as long as I keep a pillow between my knees to keep me from "crossing the midline".  I was doing this before my surgery anyway, so I'm pretty used to it.  After my first operation I was able to sleep on my non-operated side very comfortably after a few days.  This was good because I have a very hard time sleeping on my back and also tend to snore a lot in that position.

After my second surgery I was forced to sleep on my back because I was not ready to sleep on either of the operated sides.  I bought a 6" "leg wedge", which goes under you knees and raises your feet 6".  This helped a lot, and also seemed to help keep the swelling down.  You can also get larger ones (I started out with 12" but it seemed like my feet were sticking straight up in the air).  I still snored, though, and my wife suffered for it.

After about a week and a half I was able to start sleeping on my left side (first operated hip) for a while but it still gets uncomfortable and I can't sleep all the way through the night that way.  I can also lie for a while on the right side, if I can find that one comfortable position, and also on my back with one pillow under my knees.  I have to shift positions several times during the night, but I'm getting a pretty good 8 hours most nights.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 06:46:50 PM by FlbrkMike »
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

obxpelican

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 11:25:01 AM »
BTW--- Joe, how are you doing today?

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

JMS

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 11:40:32 AM »
My PT  indicated that as long as I had the pillow between my knees I could sleep on my side as soon as I wished.  I think I slept on the non-operated side from about day six. The operated side was too painful to lie on before the staples came out, but once the staples were out I could lie on that side too.  I'm not saying I could stay on my side all night though. Sometimes just being able to shift into a new position for a few minutes is a great relief even if you don't stay there very long.

joedb123

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 01:35:45 PM »
Thanks everyone. pretty much what I thought. I geuss I'll stay on my back for the next few days at least just as a precaution. Better safe than sorry.

Im feeling pretty good today Chuck. I was up at 4:45am as I could not stay in bed any longer. The pain is getting less and less everytime I wake up in  the morning or from a nap. Just had the visiting nurse come to my home to tell me the same thing I heard in the hospital 100 times. No wonder health care is out of control.

PT should be here shortly for first in home session....now if I could only crap...sigh..... ;)

23109VC

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 12:13:22 AM »
I think you are ok as long as it's not hurting and you use the pillow.  Maybe try to force yourself to sleep on your back a bit longer and gradually convert to the side?

I used to always sleep on my stomach, but my arm started falling asleep at night, which forced me to start sleeping on my back.  It was very hard at first but after a month or so, I fell asleep easily on my back.....if you do it long enough you won't mind it.

But it makes you snore....
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 10:53:27 AM by 23109VC »
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

hipnhop

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 05:38:42 PM »
I have been sleeping mostly on my stomach. I stand at the bottom of the bed and slowly sprawl my way to the top. The PT told me to be careful if I turned in my sleep, which I do.  I keep a pillow by my side and insert it between my legs if I want to shift position. It helps!!
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

phillwad

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 10:16:10 AM »
I am 3  1/2 weeks post op and got managed to fall alseep on my op side for the first time last night.  Getting better, my wife tells me I should move to a "softer" bed and I think others have suggested that also.  My bed is "firm" - Phill

FlbrkMike

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 10:29:36 AM »
We have a regular mattress with a memory foam pad that's maybe 2" thick.  It really helps to distribute the weight over a larger area.
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

Dayton96

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 10:31:58 AM »
A quick fix for your mattress would a styrofoam pad that you put under your mattress pad.  You can pick one up at Target, Wal-Mart, etc.

Mac
Dr. Gross, Uncemented Biomet, Left, March 2011

phillwad

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 10:38:58 AM »
Mac - did not think of that - Thanks

Cheers - Phill

Krunch

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 10:58:24 AM »
I'm at day 11 post-op and trying to get quality sleep is tough.  Even though I normally sleep on my back I worry about rolling.  I use a styrofoam wedge with velcro straps.  If I do start to roll or shift a bit of pain wakes me and I correct the position. Sleep is good, I like sleep, I want more sleep.

Go to sleep,
Craig  
"Whatever does not kill you, makes you stronger"
                         Nietzsche
          The philosopher, not the linebacker.

LBHR - 4/1/11 - Dr. Rector

Lori Cee

• My Bilateral BMHR
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 03:14:15 AM »
I was propped on my side in the ICU postop and then again in the ward.  I have gutter splints and wardies to assist (since I'm bilat) which has given be some relief from back pressure.  Not so sure how keen I'll be to try it out at home :) will keep you posted!!
Bilateral Birmingham Mid Head Resection (BMHR): 8 April 2011 (Dr Simon Journeaux at Mater Private).
To follow my progress visit my blog: Bilateral Hip Replacement

joedb123

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 12:09:53 PM »
OK, 19 days post-op and I am just now being able to sleep on my side for short periods of time. What a relief! The key for me is putting pillows between my legs to keep the legs straight and evenly spaced from hip to toe. Although you gain strength every day precaution seems to be the better part of valor.

Patience the key ingredient to this process.  :)

FlbrkMike

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 01:24:21 PM »
I'm 32 days post-op on my right side and was able to sleep through the night last night on my right side.  I think that's probably the first time.  I'm a little over 8 weeks on my left side and can sleep on that side now with no discomfort at all.  I prefer the right side though, so things are looking better and better.

Patience is indeed the key.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 01:25:05 PM by FlbrkMike »
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

Ernie

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2011, 05:03:10 PM »
Night thirteen post op was my best night's sleep yet! Finally, I woke feeling better than when I went to bed. Up to today I've been dreading each night.  I think it was that I held back on drinking liquids after 7 p.m. so I didn't have to get up as often, and the pain in the hip is less.

Ernie
Right Hip Resurfaced - Wright Conserve Plus, April 1, 2011 by Dr. Kress, Atlanta, GA

Left Hip Resurfaced - Biomet, May 4, 2015 by Dr. Gross, Columbia, SC

23109VC

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2011, 10:38:37 AM »
Most of you seem to prefer sleeping on your side....anyone sleep on their stomach?  I have tried it and it seems ok.... My side also is ok to sleep on with pillows, but I never was much of a side sleeper.......

I'm about 7 weeks post op
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

FlbrkMike

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 10:54:08 AM »
I've been a side sleeper for as long as I can remember.  I can get comfortable on my stomach, but it seems only if I hang my feet over the end of the bed.  What do you do with your feet while sleeping on your stomach - stretch them straight out, turn them in, turn them out, hang them over the end?
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM