+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Official Bilat!!  (Read 3006 times)

ohiotim

Official Bilat!!
« on: August 10, 2011, 12:15:40 PM »
It's been a week since my LBHR.I want to say that this hip has been comportly different.From post op on there has been more pain than before, and it seems more difficult to control it, but that being said, it still has been bearable.As many on here have said, as well as my Dr. , each hip is different.
RBHR 6/22/11 LBHR 8/3/11.DR Sharat Kasuma, Grant Bone & Joint Center, Columbus, Oh.

hernanu

Re: Official Bilat!!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 12:32:35 PM »
Congratulations, Tim! Good luck on the rehab. Are you doing PT?
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 12:40:14 PM »
Hi Tim

My surgeon said each hip is different too.  Maybe it had gotten weak trying to help support the first hip that was done.  I am sure you will be getting around better in a few more weeks.  As you know, healing takes time.  Good Luck and stay in touch.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

FlbrkMike

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 12:54:51 PM »
Hi Tim,

Welcome to the Official Bilat Club!!

My experience was somewhat similar to yours, though I didn't really have more pain after the second procedure.  On my first (LBHR) I was OK for full weight bearing "as soon as I could handle it" and 120 degree flexion limit.  I was walking on one crutch within a week and with a cane in two weeks. 

On the second hip my doctor put me on "toe touch only" for four weeks - meaning no weight bearing at all.  I had a very hard time following these instructions because I felt fine and wanted to walk, but I did my best.  He said that he had a hard time placing the acetabular cup (because of my extremely hard bones) and had to "wail on it" with the biggest mallet he could find.  I think he was joking a little bit but I could imagine him standing there swinging a 10 lb sledge hammer.  They wanted to make sure that any potential damage to the bone (none apparent in x-rays) had a chance to heal before bearing any weight.

So, yes, every hip is different.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 12:55:37 PM by FlbrkMike »
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

ohiotim

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 02:53:26 PM »
Congratulations, Tim! Good luck on the rehab. Are you doing PT?

Yes, 3xs daily.One thing I was glad I did on my first hip.There was only six weeks between the two, as my second got closer I was a little worried that first wouldn't be strong enough.Just after second,when getting up out of my chair my right leg would shake like crazy.Now, only a week later it seems stronger than before surgery,(it was the worse of the hips)and it takes all my weight with no pain.
RBHR 6/22/11 LBHR 8/3/11.DR Sharat Kasuma, Grant Bone & Joint Center, Columbus, Oh.

Tin Soldier

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 08:00:35 PM »
["wail on it" with the biggest mallet he could find]

Croquet anyone?  Now that's all I'm going to think of when I go in for No. 2 soon.  Whimper Whimper.  Maybe mine will be a fsater recoevry than my first becasue it doesn't seem to be as bad as the first one was.  Oh well, we'll find out soon enough.

Good Job Tim, I'm happy for you and sort of looking forward to being in the bilat club. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

othepain4

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 05:40:43 AM »
Can't imagine how first Dr.s decided to do this. Let's see , we need a hole saw ,a hammer, maybe a walk through the garage to see if we might need any other tools!

Tin Soldier

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 01:01:00 AM »
Grinder maybe!  :o

Lopsided

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 02:28:45 AM »
I have got the video (I am not posting it) of my surgery (half of it). It is exactly that, a grinder and hammer.

The grinder is not quite what you would use on a building site. It is half way between an angle grinder and a drill, with quick release interchangeable heads. The hammer has a square head looks like it is made from stainless steel, but it is still a crude hammer. It actually looks a bit like a meat tenderizer.

D.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Tin Soldier

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 06:39:55 PM »
Next week when I'm laying on my side looking across the OR, as my legs go numb, I'll see if I can peek over the edge of the BHR bins where they keep the tools.  They had a whole workbench full of shiny stainless tools all freshly cleaned and ready to go.  Oddly, it was a pretty distinct memory, given that I was getting dosed with Versed and less than a couple minutes later I was completely out.  Thank Goodness.

Maybe I'll watch a real surgery on video someday after this next surgery.

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 12:44:04 AM »
Wow, Tin, I never made it consciously into the OR.  I was out in the hallway.  I do recall some sounds during surgery of power tools.  Otherwise I only recall coming around afterwards.

I have thought about watching the video now that my one (and hopefully only) hip is done.

Best wishes next week.  I told Roman and Susan hello from you when I was there and that you said you would see them soon.  They both smiled so I know they remembered you.  Let everyone know that I am doing great.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

FlbrkMike

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 01:10:58 AM »
Next week when I'm laying on my side looking across the OR, as my legs go numb, I'll see if I can peek over the edge of the BHR bins where they keep the tools.  They had a whole workbench full of shiny stainless tools all freshly cleaned and ready to go.  Oddly, it was a pretty distinct memory, given that I was getting dosed with Versed and less than a couple minutes later I was completely out.  Thank Goodness.

Maybe I'll watch a real surgery on video someday after this next surgery.

I seem to remember a bunch of tools hanging on the wall on a peg board.

Or...maybe that was my garage.   :-\
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

maxi

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 06:01:04 AM »
grinder with 40 grit paper at the helm ....    :'( ;) ;D
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow...what a ride!"

Lopsided

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2011, 08:20:56 AM »
I seem to remember the anesthetist picking up the hammer, and then everything went blank ...

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Tin Soldier

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2011, 12:38:35 PM »
That's pretty damn funny.  Glad I can laugh about this a couple days prior to going bilateral.

Dan - I can't believe they "put you out" in the hallway.  The best part is singing sea shanties while they wheel you into the OR.

Anniee

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2011, 08:09:42 PM »
The laughs I get from some of the comments here is one of the best things about this site!

Tin, best of luck with your upcoming surgery!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear