+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hip squeeks  (Read 2158 times)

BillB

Hip squeeks
« on: August 19, 2011, 06:08:55 PM »
I am 70 yeard old and had my left hip resurfaced almost 5 months ago. My recovery is excellent. I could tie my shoe after 3 months and I was kite surfing in 4. Now I will not have to ask my wife to buckle my ski boot this winter.
 I have been carrying pavers for my walkway and 60lb bags of sand.  Once in a while I hear some squeaking and I paid it no mind. I thought it might be my knee pads or whatever. Today again I heard the squeeks again and I paid a bit  more attention. They were coming from my hip - not clunking like you talk about on the forum but a squeek.  No pain at all from my hip at any time. Has anyone experienced this also?     I feel like I should I have had a grease fitting installed there also.

FlbrkMike

Re: Hip squeeks
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 06:58:03 PM »
I had a squeak in my left hip for about 24 hours.  About 5 months post operation (June or July sometime) I went on a short (3 mile) but steep (1200 ft climb) hike.  Went home and sat in the spa and then jumped in the pool.  While climbing out of the pool my left hip squeaked.  At first I didn't believe it but I climbed up and down the steps a few times and it squeaked during most the steps up.

Later on I found that if I bent over like I was going to pick something up off the floor I could make it squeak almost on command.  Sounded just like the tin man in the Wizard of Oz.  I wanted to learn how to control the pitch so I could play music but it went away the next morning and hasn't returned since.  My doctor said that it's not unusual, and it comes from losing the lubricating fluid between the ball and socket.  It almost always goes away fairly quickly and is not a cause for concern, unless it doesn't go away.
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

BillB

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 08:29:45 PM »
Thanks for the info. In my case I have heard it a couple of different times but always associated with heavy lifting and a lot of bending while lifting heavier objects. I will keep an ear out for it now. When I heard it before I never associated it with the hip - it did not seem like it came from there, you know, like a noise in your car-hard to tell where it comes from.

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 08:49:53 PM »
Bill-

Wow, what an inspiration.  A HR at age 70!  And it sounds like recovery was on a normal schedule.  You must be in great shape and have great bones.

Keep up the good work and stop by and say hi once in awhile.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

mari

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 12:31:42 PM »
I too have noticed a very low pitched noise only occasionally when I first get up in the morning as I am bending over.  I am guessing it is a lubrication issue from lying in bed all night.  I had my resurfacing about 2 1/2 years ago at age 62, and am very happy with it.
Right Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Gross February 2009

fenceman

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 02:41:24 PM »
Mine squeaked 1 time in 3 years after a weekend of waterskiing.

Call me girly-hips but lifting 60 lbs bags of sand and paver block 5 months after surgery sounds like you may be pushing it a little too hard too soon.  My Dr. would not have been happy.
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

Denver_wrench

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 03:36:17 PM »
The importance of staying well hydrated cannot be overemphasized.
LBHR June 9, 2011, St. Joseph's, Denver, CO

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat