+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Psoas Tendon Injection?  (Read 12240 times)

jgenese

Psoas Tendon Injection?
« on: August 31, 2011, 03:55:21 PM »
I had my left BHR Oct 22 2010 and have been experiencing pain coming from the psoas tendon for a few months. My x-ray and ct scan showed the implant looking awesome. I'm scheduled for an anesthetic–corticosteroid injection into the shaft of the tendon next month and having second thoughts. Has anyone had this done and if so, what were the results. I think the next step if this doesn't work is the release procedure. I just want to be done!

sfinrecovery

• Right Hip BHR November 8, 2010
Re: Psoas Tendon Injection?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 03:21:37 AM »
Thank you, Jgenese,
I had my R BHR on November 8, 2010 and I am also still experiencing "glute" pain (pointed at as PSOAS). My x-rays showed everything is fine, but I continue with the pain as well.  I had heard about an a-c injection, but I am not sure if it was directly at the tendon.  Would be curious to know as well.  I did have a Lidocaine injection on the neck of the BHR a few weeks ago and it offered great relief for 24 hours or so.  I am not sure what this means, but I will be asking my doctor about what other next steps we have when being confronted with these side effects.  I have also read about a "release" procedure certain doctors provide under hospital anesthesia to release stubborn ROMS.  Has anyone read about it or have had the experience?  Of course, in my case, I still have the groin pain to deal with, 10 months out.  Other suggestions?

jgenese

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 04:39:54 AM »
I guess this will help the doc figure out if the next step will be the release. He said it was a simple procedure. I still need to know the details.

jgenese

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 05:43:12 PM »
To sfinrecovery,
Update: I had my injection today which was Depomodrol/Marcaine injected into the bursa assisted by a CT Scan at South County Hospital ( Rhode Island). I know it's been four hours since, but so far so good. If this works I should be all set. They gave me journal to keep track of the pain (if any) until I see my surgeon in three weeks. Hopefully this will take care of that annoying groin pain. Fingers crossed! Hopefully this gives you some hope

karen17

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 09:45:49 PM »
hi there,
I also had major groin pain, starting about 12 months after resurfacing. After a year of PT and three steroid injections (which did nothing to releive pain) I had the release surgery. The groin pain has completely gone. That was over 12 months ago now. I think it was worthwhile - but rebuilding the strength in my leg is taking an awfully long time. I still cant run properly, and i have trouble lifiting my leg very  high (like getting into the car, and crossing my legs). Having said that, its a small price to pay for no pain! I think it will get better, but it takes dedication to rebuild the muscle strength and movement. the PT keeps giving me glut excersises, and I think it is improving, slowly. The one thing I didn't expect - they went in through the same incision, and the scarring is quite bad. It hasn't healed nicely like the first time, so its definitley no bikinis at the beach for me!!
In terms of the op - i was in hospital 3 days, and on crutches for about a week.  I was back at work after 2 weeks (desk job), and driving (auto transmission) after 3weeks.
If you have any question - just ask!
karen
Karen
BHR Jun 08, aged 39

jgenese

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 04:49:02 AM »
Thanks Karen,
I really hope this injection works because I just want to be done with all of it. I'm glad you have no more pain but it sounds like you've paid the price. I'll keep you posted on the progress. I wonder how many are going through the same thing as us.

pamela1130

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 11:32:49 AM »
Hi:  I had my BHR in October of 2009 and started with pain six months after.  I have a feeling it was because I went to the gym and did leg extensions.   I have had  2 injections into the tendon to no avail.  I had an xrays, MRI, and cat scan and even had my ion levels tested and everything looked great.  I even had my xrays sent to top doctors  that Vicky from the yahoo site did for me and they said everything looked great.  I am still in pain.  My doctor asked if I am better now than I was before indicating that this is the best it's going to get.  What is release surgery.  I haven't heard of that option?

Thanks, Pam   

hawaiieric

• Happy kiter here...
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 04:56:48 PM »
Aloha,

I am not 100% certain that I am reading this one right and am guessing that the pain mentioned is the one I was experiencing.

I had a groin pain after surgery, it was 2 years after surgery, but my cure was pretty simple and fast.  I learned the technique of lymph node massage to drain the node.  The node that is in the groin area should be about the size of a pea, for me mine was about the size of an almond.  To drain the node, putting pressure on the groin and node and imaging sweeping it down to the toes.(very helpful to have spouse do this massage a few minutes a day, even a couple of times a day) It doesn't take long for the node to return to its normal size, a few days...and the pain level gets to a forgotten state.

Good luck if this works for you.

Eric

jgenese

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 08:00:39 AM »
It's been 4 days since the injection into the bursa and the pain is (shhh!) pretty much gone. It seemed to progressively get better every day. Yesterday I felt very slight pain when I put my left sock on, but this morning nothing.
I dont want the release surgery due to the fact that you never regain strength after they cut into the tendon.

hernanu

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 07:03:10 PM »
How are you doing? Is the pain still gone?
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

jgenese

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 02:07:29 PM »
Still doing great. No pain or anything when I'm walking. I work on submarines so I feel it a little when I go up ladders but it's tolerable. The surgeon is saying the tendon is actually rubbing along the exposed part of the implant (ball), and if I want to, I could get another injection or try the release surgery. I really don't want any more surgery so I just choose to deal with the slight discomfort. PT wont help either. As long as I don't have the pain I had prior to surgery, I guess I'm doing OK. Doc says this problem is becoming more common with the BHR surgery.
I go back to him in two years providing I don't have any major problems

hernanu

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 05:20:57 PM »
What's involved in the release surgery?

jgenese

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2011, 08:18:49 AM »
I guess it's just a scope job where they go in and cut into the tendon which makes it longer and stops it from rubbing against the implant. It's still probably painful and I guess from what I've heard, it takes a while to regain strength.
The pain that I'm feeling is very mild and actually feels like it's going away.
Are you feeling the same pain?

hernanu

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2011, 11:52:58 AM »
No, I'm not, just curious about it. I hope it's going away for good with you.

jgenese

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 04:46:17 AM »
Thank you! I hope so too.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz