+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: What are your hottest tips for preparing your set-up at home?  (Read 2696 times)

Kiwi

What are your hottest tips for preparing your set-up at home?
« on: November 17, 2011, 02:57:48 PM »
Hey Team,

I've hired a lazy boy recliner to reside by my bed. After reading some of Pete's recent posts it seems I'll need some towels handy for the sweats, but the biggest issue initially seems to be trying to sleep on your back for the first few days? So FlbrkMike's suggestion of a leg wedge looks like a good idea...

Any other tips that would be best sorted pre op?

Cheers
Simon
LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Hugh Blackley (BHR Trained with Ronan Treacy)
Use it or lose it!

hernanu

Re: What are your hottest tips for preparing your set-up at home?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 04:24:52 PM »
Some of mine - I was on my own after one week, so...

• Place all chargers (cell phone, etc) on a waist level counter or table. I used my kitchen counter.
  • Place all commonly used food, condiments, etc. where it's easily reachable. You don't want to be bending down deep to get something at the back of the refrigerator or a cupboard.
  • Put laundry soap, dishwasher soap, etc. again to be easily reached. I found it easier to buy some of the "packs" of both to be just thrown in, instead of having to balance a heavy box or bottle.
  • Pre-cook meals and freeze, the microwave is your friend. I also pre cooked rice (which I love) and put into zip lock bags.
  • Place clothes you plan to use on hangers or in upper drawers. Again, don't want to bend too deeply.
  • I found a sock putter onner (my term) invaluable for both regular socks and for TEDS socks. Totally necessary IMO.
  • Get elastic shoe laces for your sneakers, to be able to slip on shoes and still have plenty of support.
  • Plan out a typical day. You probably will be exercising and can set an area to do so. Mine was in front of the refirgerator so I could use it for balance.
  • Find an easily reachable outdoors area to walk with crutches / cane that gives you a good safe stretch of area where you can do your early walking.
  • Entertainment. You want to be diverted when resting / leg elevated / icing. Find where you plan to do this, plan it out - DVDs or Blurays on a table where you can reach them, books (I used a kindle, great for when you run out of reading material).
  • If you're using TEDS, get at least one more set or two, they tear after a while and you don't want to look like you're doing the walk of shame.
  • Your first week or so will be harder, since it's easier to move / carry stuff on one crutch than with two. Some folks have used pouches or other things to carry items with you.

I'm sure other folks can think of more, the biggest thing to remember is that the reasons for these will go away quickly enough. As you gain more ROM, some of these won't be needed, as you get stronger, etc... Pretty soon you're off all of these.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 04:26:14 PM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Tin Soldier

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 04:42:05 PM »
umm, I think Hern nailed it.

I screwed up on no.6, didn't have a putter onner and had to ask my 14 year boys to help :-[, or I went barefoot. 

I kicked ass at no 4, by making a huge batch of beans, but forgot that I would get tired of eating beans for a week.

I used a small back pack to carry some things around with me on my crutches.  Very helpful

Most definetly get the raised toilet seat and gear up on icing equipment.  There are some recipes here to make your own ice packs.  I just bought a blue ice pack, expensive and I only had one, should have had another one.  Also, if there are video games that you always wanted to play but never had the time to play, well, now's your time.  It's just you, your recliner, another burrito for lunch, and a few video games. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Anniee

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 05:16:02 PM »
I don't have much to add, except that I found an apron with big pockets very handy for the short time I had to use two crutches.  It made it easy to carry stuff from one place to the other, and I kept one of my phones in there all the time, just in case I fell (which never happened, but better safe than sorry).  I wore it on my outside walks with my cell phone in the pocket for the first few weeks too.

The raised toilet seat was a must - I got one with handle bars on each side, which made it so much easier to get down and up (maybe a little less important for guys).

I wore shoes that I could just slide my feet in, and no socks or stockings for the first 6 weeks.  Easy to do in South Carolina if you pick the right time of year for surgery :).

I did not get the sweats, but sleeping was an issue for a week or so, because I could not get comfortable.  The wedge might help.  Some people find it easier to sleep in their recliners than in a bed for a while.  Just make sure you have something to occupy your mind, like a movie, game or book for those sleepless nights.

And remember, you will only have to worry about these things for a few weeks.  You will improve on a daily basis until you do not need any special set-ups anymore!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

FlbrkMike

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 05:45:22 PM »
I didn't have one of these at the time but I do now and, if I had to do it over, I might get one.

The Logitech Revue attaches to your TV and allows internet access through your wireless router.  It will also control your digital cable box.  Perfect for streaming Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, etc. on your big screen TV.  Some of us have turned into real couch potatoes since we picked this up.

PS, I didn't need the raised toiled seat (though the regular one was a bit uncomfortable for a while) or the sock putter-onner after a day or two.  But that's just me.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 05:47:33 PM by FlbrkMike »
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 06:11:41 PM »
     Kiwi, I didn't wear socks and wore any kind of slip on instead.  I had too many painful memories of putting on sock PRE op to imagine it post op.
     The raised toilet seat or one with arms whatever.  Get it.  I toughed it out and looked like a giraffe trying to drink backwards at a watering hole while standing on ice to get down to business.  My left leg became massively strong from the maneuver that developed.  It will take decades for my operative side to catch up!!

Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

Kiwi

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 06:38:36 PM »
Awesome - thank you folks for your prompt responses.

Hern - I've printed your list & have a few of these nailed already but still have a bit to do by the looks of it.

Tin / Annie / Curt - I asked my surgeon a few weeks back if I needed a raised toilet seat, sock puller upper or seat for shower. He said "you will not need these". But it seems most folk recommend the raised toilet seat here so I will try & get hold of one.

I have purchased some sturdy slip on shoes & will keep some vice grips handy just in case. It's heading into summer here so hopefully I can avoid sock wearing too! Ice packs... must sort ice packs.

FlbrkMike - The Logitech Revue looks good but I'm avoiding the lounge (where our flat screen hangs from the wall) in the first couple of weeks anyway. Yesterday I sorted our Skytv (Digital satellite) so I can now live stream all usual TV entertainment to my laptop. Also watch dvds, play games etc on the same device.
If I have my main entertainment set-up in the lounge my 3 young kids will jump & climb all over me (they're only 16months, 4 & 6yrs) plus our lounge suite is really low. Don't want to be a hermit but just think it'll be more practical (& safer  :)) in the initial stages in our bedroom.

How is it getting in & out of bed? I'm 6ft 4in & our bed sits quite low. Someone suggested raising the bed. I could find some appropriate blocks & prop it up - but is it worth it?

Good advice folks - It looks like another busy weekend!
LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Use it or lose it!

FlbrkMike

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 06:57:51 PM »
A low bed may be harder to get out of (depends on how low I guess) but a lot easier to get into.  For a few days you will probably have have a very hard time lifting your operated leg up onto the bed.  Ours is pretty high and it was basic gut check time every time I had to get my leg up.  Some people use the top end of a "regular" crutch to help lift their foot.  I looked at it as a challenge and a measure of early progression.
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

mslendzion

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 08:44:20 PM »
I'm pre surgery and my be is high off the ground, i'm 5.1.  It is really hard to get in/out of bed now.  I don't see how I will be able to get in it after the surgery.  I'm thinking a step stool or getting a bed on my lower level so I can get in and out easy.  What are the thoughts on renting hospital beds?
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 01:44:36 AM »
I'm pre surgery and my be is high off the ground, i'm 5.1.  It is really hard to get in/out of bed now.  I don't see how I will be able to get in it after the surgery.  I'm thinking a step stool or getting a bed on my lower level so I can get in and out easy.  What are the thoughts on renting hospital beds?

I rented one and thought it was worth it.  Getting in and out of bed with a stepstool sounds a little sketchy, especially early on. So you get the good leg on the stool, then what ? Haha know what I mean ? The bed was easy, the company delivered it, re-arranged my living room, set it up, and then put everything back when they picked it up. I kept it for a month. It was nice but then again it's not "your bed".  8)

hernanu

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 10:06:58 AM »

I didn't have a high bed at home, but did have a higher bed at the hospital. I sat down, slid straight back, then took my unoperated leg and slipped it at the ankle under my operated leg, used it as a lever to elevate the operated leg while I swung onto the bed. Voila!...

Reverse the process to get from the bed onto the ground. Like Bill said, others used the crutch to achieve the same. I never thought to use the crutch, but the one I was taught worked well for me.

One thing you could do is to practice the different approaches on your current bed now, see if you can do it. If you can do it with OA pain, you'll most likely be able to do it after surgery. If you rent a bed, you'll need a strategy for it anyways, so it's probably good to practice it now.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

dwbitt

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 10:40:03 AM »
Hi Simon, good luck next week, it's really great being 'fixed'.

For getting in and out of bed I was lucky enough to have a fellow Hippy lend me a pair of Silk Pillow Cases to put on my side, it allows you to easily slide into and out of bed with minimal effort. In lieu of Silk I've seen a plastic garbage suggested for the same purpose.

For Ice packs there is a good formula on this website I used:

http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/index.php?topic=1471.0

Talk to you on the other side my friend.

Dave

Dave
LBHR, Dr. Su, 10/29/11

Kiwi

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 02:22:26 PM »
Thanks team.
I'm picking up a raised toilet w handles this morning.
Hern - Will practice bed leg lift & see how I get on, otherwise I'll use the crutch as suggested.
Dave - have checked out ice pack recipe & will try to get a brew or two together today. 
Thanks again all - your help has been amazing.
Pat you have created a fantastic site here, the people, the information, the support - it's all been incredible.
I'll send another post prior to my surgery on Wed - if I don't have any more questions beforehand... which is unlikely!
Cheers again
Simon
LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Use it or lose it!

hipnhop

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2011, 10:46:09 AM »
I lifted my sofa (well my son did it) on four cinder blocks to give me about an extra four inches.  It made sitting down and watching TV so much easier and it cost less than 20 dollars. 
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

David

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2011, 06:17:39 PM »
You'll be fine and will adapt easily.  Use your good leg to push the operated out of bed.  Hook the good leg's foot under the operated leg and pull it up into bed.  Don't be afraid, you're not going to damage anything unless you fall on your ass hard.
Best help for me was borrowing a large "wedge" from my pt friend to keep the legs elevated, and also helped with the initial pt exercises.
Do not baby yourself...constantly move, until your body needs rest.
Ice as much as possible.
Best...
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

Kiwi

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2011, 02:31:38 AM »
HipnHop - Cherz for that mate.

Good call David - some more sound advice to take on board. Good to to know I don't need to wrap myself in cotton wool I'm eager to get my independence back ASAP after op.

LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Use it or lose it!

tennisgirl

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2011, 08:05:19 PM »
I'm almost at two weeks and I have found sleeping with a body pillow invaluable.  Once I was able to turn on my unoperated side, having that pillow made sleeping easier, as it was long enough to fit all the way down my legs and kept them from crossing.
R Biomet Uncemented Dr. Gross 11/9/2011

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal