+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Improving figure 4 stretch post surgery  (Read 5561 times)

Aerial

Improving figure 4 stretch post surgery
« on: January 13, 2012, 07:43:27 PM »
For those who know of the figure four stretch laying on your back, how much improvement did you see in this post surgery?  I am just at the point of attempting some light stretching.  My ROM in this stretch was horrible before surgery because of all the bone spurs.  Hence I got pretty tight in the psoas area because my hip simply did not rotate well. I can tell my ROM is better but I really have to work on the tightness in psoas which is especially noticable in the figure four stretch.  With work, how much and how fast did you improvement in this stretch?

Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

lori.36

Re: Improving figure 4 stretch post surgery
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 05:13:55 PM »
Can you post a photo of the stretch
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

Aerial

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 08:04:44 PM »
http://www.vancouverchiropractic.net/Figure-Four-Piriformis-Stretch

See above link.  Look at the center description lying on your back.  I have a night and day diffence in this stretch between by operated side and my non-operated side.

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 07:27:11 AM »
I'll try that later.  The Acupuncturist had me doing that stretch last year to try to loosen up my hips.

I've just started to work into a stretching routine after rapping it up with PT oFridayay.  Yesterday I was pulling my knee up to touch my nose and thought that it might not be the best thing to do.  I was going to start a thread asking about stretching but I guess I'll ask here.

Post surgery and rehab, which stretches do you do, and which stretches should we avoid?
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Aerial

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 08:01:15 AM »
I was told be careful of extreme stretching for six months (at my six week follow up last week).  I'd think this varies by person though depending on natural flexibility.  I have mostly been doing the less complicated yoga poses like forward folds, downward dog, seated rotations, cobra, and lunges so far.  Also the figure four stretch because that seems to get at a vey tight area for me.  All these seem to target the hip flexors, piriformis, quads, hamstrings, etc.  In general they feel good and don't seem to be extreme for me.  I have a hard time determining what is considered extreme though.  I am doing a private lesson with a great yoga instructor in town next Monday.  She is a certified yoga therapist and has worked with other resurfacing and THR people.  I think that will be helpful.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 08:32:42 AM by Aerial »

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 12:15:10 PM »
Well, I started to do the fig 4 stretch yesterday and again this morning and I sure have a long way to go.  My hips were definitely looser when the acupuncturist was working on them, but that was only temporary.  I'll keep working on it and I should be nice and loosey goosey by spring.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 04:37:39 PM »
I changed my rehab about a week ago from walking and cv work in the gym to more strengthening remedial work. As soon as I started doing sets of body weight square my rom went through the roof including the figure 4 stretch.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Aerial

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 08:58:30 PM »
Wow, it is amazing how much the figure 4 stretch has improved since I started back to yoga (lots of lunging, forward folds, rotations)!  I am starting to get some real inner and outer rotation and flexion (knee to chest) now all of which contribute to a better figure four stretch.  Still a ways to go to get to where the other side is but it's getting there.  I at 8 weeks and feel like I can push some stretching a bit without feeling like something is going to give where I don't want it to give!

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 07:47:25 PM »
I think that a lot of it has to do with the strength of the muscles that have been damaged.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

gnoble1960

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 04:30:39 PM »
I am 4 weeks behind you on this, but what I am doing is stretches where I let gravity be my "force."  I was severely limited in my ROM prior to surgery, so the muscles and tendons want to spasm now that my joint can move more.  Be gentle and kind to yourself.  BTW, I was 4th in NC tri series AG in 2008 prior to my last injury which led to surgery, so I do understand wanting to push yourself.  Push gently..life is long..weeks are short
Dr. Gross, 1/4/12

WTW15

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 04:48:43 PM »
I'm confused--are you arleady past the 90degree restriction when you are doing these?  I'm game to start any kind of good stretches and yoga but finding my 90 degrees deal is limiting me. 
Successful LBHR 1/19/12 Dr. Cynthia Kelly
Fear causes Hesitation and Hesitation causes your worst Fears to come true

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 07:22:19 PM »
WTW it seems as though most surgeons now don't have the 90 degree rule but obviously this varies surgeon to surgeon and I'd alway listen to your own surgeons advice.
I find that the hydro pool and steam room help my flexibility loads!
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz