+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Learning about Hip Resurfacing  (Read 2246 times)

Daig

Learning about Hip Resurfacing
« on: January 18, 2012, 04:00:55 PM »
Hi Pat,

I just joined the forum.  At this point I am several months away from seeing a Orthopedic dr., and so I am not sure what is wrong with my hip.  Have been through physio, chiro, massage, and other things.  Is there somewhere on the forum specifically for me?  Or am I in the wrong group.  Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Cory
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 07:14:19 PM by Pat Walter »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Learning about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 07:18:23 PM »
Hi Cory

Welcome to Hip Talk.  I split your post so you could have your own topic.  I assume you are looking for a surgeon for hip resurfacing?  Most of us here have had hip resurfacing instead of THRs.  We wanted to keep our femur bones and be able to do any activity we want.  THRs often come with restrictions.  I have a place for people that want or can only have THRs further down the list of topics.

There are a lot of people here that can give you suggestions.  I assume you have had x-rays and know your hip is deteriorated and you are ready for a hip resurfacing?  If not, that would be your first step.  I have a list of the more experienced hip resurfacing surgeons here http://www.surfacehippy.info/listofdoctors.php   See who is in your area. You want to use the most experienced resurfacing surgeon that you can.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Daig

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 07:30:53 PM »
Hey Pat,

Thanks for the reply.  I have had regular x-rays through my family dr., and he referred me to an orthopedic dr.  The problem is that I am on an 8 month waiting list to see an orthopetic dr at which point I can get an MRI done. So at this point I don't know what I need.  I thought maybe there would be people here that have had simular symptoms as me, that could help with my problem. I have done so much online research and have tried so many things, but nothing seems to help.

Thanks,
Cory

dwbitt

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 07:42:58 PM »
Cory,

Your family Doc should be able to identify Osteoarthritis from your X-rays, that is one of the reasons many of us have had Hip Resurfacing. If that's your diagnosis you may want to find an Orthopedic Dr. familiar with Hip Resurfacing:

http://www.surfacehippy.info/

http://www.surfacehippy.info/listofdoctors.php

Check out the website for other causes of hip problems.

Best,
Dave
Dave
LBHR, Dr. Su, 10/29/11

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 07:49:54 PM »
Corey

Where do you live?  There are several top surgeons who will give you a free consultation if you send them an email with a copy of your x-rays in a digital format.  Dr. Gross of SC, who has done over 1800 resurfacings, will actually call you in a few weeks to discuss your case and tell you if you are a candidate for resurfacing. That's always a good start. Find out what the top surgeons have to say. I believe Dr. Rogerson will do an email consultation, also. The overseas surgeons do, but I don't know if you want to fly overseas.

You don't want to depend on a local orthopedic.  You want a surgeon that does hips and a lot of hips.  If you want resurfacing, you want a surgeon that has done many hundreds to thousands of resurfacings.  The top resurfacing surgeons will also do THRs if you are not a good candidate for resurfacing.

You don't normally need a MRI to determine if you need a hip resurfacing. Most of us ever had them, just good x-rays. When you have bone on bone joints there is little you can do to improve them except get a hip  resurfacing or THR. We have all gone the route of taking nsaids, then getting steriod shots and doing PT.  Eventually, there is no fix and only surgery will take care of the pain and get you back to an active life.

I don't know any of the top surgeons that make you wait 8 months.  Most will see you within a few weeks to perhaps a month or two.  Look at my list and choose one of the top surgeons.  Call their office.  Tell us where you live and we can help.

Pat
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 07:52:38 PM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Daig

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 08:23:56 PM »
Hey guys,

I am in Canada, I forgot to put that into my last post.  This is the reason for the long wait.  My family doctor(who I have little faith in) did not mention anything about Osteoarthritis, but still referred me to a Orthopedic surgeon.  I went to get another opinion from another general practitioner; she looked at the x-rays and did not say anything either, just gave me some pills and told me to try physio therapy.  So, from what you are saying, I am probably not in need of hip replacement or resurfacing.

Thanks,
Cory

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 09:09:21 PM »
Hi Cory, in my topic, I describe my symptoms before being diagnosed with OA and the steps I took

http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/index.php?topic=2010.0

In short, I tried all sorts of different things, until an orthopedic surgeon took a look at it and told me what I had. I'm not promoting surgery if you don't have it, but during your waiting time, you could take advantage of Pat's advice to send the electronic copies of your XRays to some of the surgeons listed here.

They have more than enough business, so they are not looking for customers, rather they are providing a crucial service by either confirming the problem, or excluding it. These are some of the best surgeons in the world, so it is a good opportunity to reveal at least part of the problem, or calm your mind.

Good luck, I actually hope it's not OA for you, but if it is, this is a good way to know.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 06:01:55 AM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Daig

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 09:14:58 PM »
Thanks very much everyone, I will take your advice.

Cory

mikebaker

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 09:55:34 PM »
Hey Cory, I live in Canada out west in Alberta to be exact. If I can be of any help let me know. I think you can email me through this forum. Mike
LBHR July 28, 2011
RBHR Dec 6, 2011

Daig

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 04:52:50 PM »
Thanks Mike, I appreciate that.  I live in Kamloops, BC.

Cory

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal