+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Question about massage post-op  (Read 2779 times)

mountaingoat

Question about massage post-op
« on: February 21, 2012, 03:47:46 PM »
I just sent an email to Dr. Gross' office asking whether it was ok to schedule a massage next week. Obviously, I wasn't planning on having the guy dig his nails into my incisions but I am so stiff and tight around the glutes that I would like to work on this area a little.
Well, Nancy wrote back to say that they don't want anything - massage or chiropractic or whatever until 6 months post-op. REALLY?
I totally get most of the other restrictions but I don't see the efficacy of this and I didn't really want to debate it with his nurse. Does anyone know why a gentle sports massage to bring blood flow to the area and loosen things up a bit would be considered a risk?

Thanks,
Amy

obxpelican

Re: Question about massage post-op
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 04:23:37 PM »
Dr. Gross has always been VERY particular in who touches his patients, be it massage therapists, PT or anyone else.  I've heard that he's very hands on as to who works on the floor you stayed post-op at the hospital.

I have read situations where a PT actually caused a revision by being too aggressive post-op, but I cannot recall someone injured by a massage. 

I would not blame Nancy, she's pretty up on things and Lee would probably tell you the same.

Now I guess it's up to you which direction you go????

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 04:52:35 PM »
My surgeon has also told me about people who had perfectly good operations to have then ruined by over zealous pt's chuck indeed he told me to sack mine off straight away when he heard what she was doing to me.
I'm not sure on the massage thing tho. I was advised by my surgeons assistant at 7 weeks that massage would probably help me to progress.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Aerial

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 05:41:02 PM »
An alternative might be getting a tennis ball or yoga block and giving those tight areas some pressure/self-massage.  I did this quite a bit after about 4 weeks.  I too, would love a massage right now!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 05:41:57 PM by Aerial »
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

lori.36

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 04:23:28 PM »
I had my first massage 2 1/2 weeks out of surgery.  I did not have any problems.  I need some severe help with my IT band and my glutes and is what she did.  MY PT also did massage on me in the same area and also the abduckters(SP).  It was amazing and I think helped me with my recovery.

I do not think I asked the doctor, I listened to my body.  I was also very vocal to the massage therapist about what I wanted and to be kind to the operated area.  Best of luck Amy making your decision.  I agree with you though.  I think some people do not like massages, and do not recognize the benefits that there are with them. 
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

Jbennett

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 04:36:05 PM »
I'm no doctor and I understand you are saying gentle but even as a lay person a gentle massage to an area thats been that traumatized by surgery seem like a BAD idea. All those fragile tissue repairs your body is making seem likely be torn apart by even gentle poking and prodding.
Right Biomet Uncemented Dr. Gross 3/14/12

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 05:16:45 PM »
My outpatient PT did massage the area around the incision after four to five weeks, both times. By then I figured the incision had healed and she was trying to address scar tissue - It was very gentle massage, and NO manipulation of the leg.

I think it helped, but as always, go with your surgeon's advice. Mine had no problem with it.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

mountaingoat

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 05:39:29 PM »
At this point I feel I need to do something b/c my glutes are on fire and its causing me to limp more dramatically on that side than I ever did before. I'm a bit worried  about my poor gait from being on crutches these last 4 weeks. I don't want to go against my surgeon's recommendation but I also feel like I need to listen to my body as Lori said. I definitely wouldn't have any manipulation done or anything like that but it seems to be getting worse each day instead of better. I simply cannot afford for this surgery to leave me worse off than I was before -- I have a baby to care for and I need to be able to walk and to carry her. (Not that anyone can afford to be worse off). I have complete trust in Dr. Gross and I am sure this is just a temporary set back but this hip has given me problems since the first week in a way that the other never has and its making me a bit nervous. I don't think there is anything wrong with the implant as I can bear weight on it and it isn't excruciating, just quite uncomfortable. It definitely seems to be soft tissue since pain since it doesn't hurt much at rest but soft tissue injuries can take months, sometimes years to heal.

Its so hard dealing with set-backs when we all have so much riding on this surgery b/c there isn't a do-over. My family and husband just don't seem to get that part of it.

Luanna

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 08:58:23 PM »
All surgeons have their reasons for their protocols. Mine handed me a prescription at 2 weeks for PT and we used a lot of massage in the early sessions. At 5 months I started with deep tissue work and cupping.

Both approaches have made a huge amount of difference. My surgeon also told me that I could do whatever I liked at 8 weeks no restrictions. I said leg press? and he said "yes".  I said jump of a cliff? and he said something like "won't hurt the implants but probably won't do you much good".

It is interesting to see the variability between surgeons.

Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

Aerial

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 09:02:52 PM »
Hi again- I am trying to remember but are you on the longer recovery due to bone density?  If this is the case I think any extra pressure might be a bad idea for that reason.  Ask Nancy what you can do to relieve the tight butt!  She said no massage but there has to be an alternative (vs. suffering)!
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

MattBrunner

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 10:02:09 PM »
At 3 weeks when I got my stitches out, and went into PT and loved those massages they really helped.  At about 3-4 weeks the 10" scar really was giving me issues getting to some of the recovering mussels the massages helped break up scar tissue and work some of the abductor mussels.

Matt

mslendzion

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 10:17:48 PM »
I started getting massages on my scar at PT week 4 post op along with upper leg massages 3 times a week. They were/are painful but I think they help.  Still getting them at PT currently.
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

Candymanbet1

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 06:38:27 PM »

I am considering bilateral hip resurfacing and have narrowed it down to two Doctors - Dr. De Smet in Belgium or Dr. Edwin Su in New York.  Does anyone have an opinion on this and also the two doctors.

Thanks,

Tim

jjmclain

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 08:07:21 PM »
Hi Tim,

There are a lot of hippies on this site who have used both surgeons. You may want to repost under a different topic like the physician topic or something like that and you may get more responses.
 Good Luck to you!

June

hernanu

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 08:28:09 PM »
Hi Tim, I agree with June, I'd start another topic and just post what you've said. Both are highly thought of as excellent surgeons. I'd be confident with either.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Tim Bratten

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2012, 01:18:50 PM »

I am considering bilateral hip resurfacing and have narrowed it down to two Doctors - Dr. De Smet in Belgium or Dr. Edwin Su in New York.  Does anyone have an opinion on this and also the two doctors.

Thanks,

Tim

I can testify that Dr. De Smet is a fantastic surgeon and a great doctor, plus he likes to do bilaterals. Personally, I have decided to pay out of my own pocket to go back to him (probably next year) to get my right hip done (rather than have insurance pay for a local doctor). If you want more specific information post again and I'll tell you what I know.
Cheers from another Tim
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 01:21:22 PM by Tim Bratten »
Botched LHR by Dr. Vilicich 06-17-2010 revised by Koen De Smet 02-14-2012
RHR Koen De Smet 02-05-2014

Arrojo

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 03:22:12 PM »
I am 2 months out and having aggressive PT massage and ART (digging in).  They avoid the scar but nail everything around it.  I plan to hit the ground running (literally) at 6 months and can't imagine doing that with all the scar tissue that would inevitably build up without PT and ART.
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM