+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: NW Surgeon Recommendations: Boyd, Pritchett, Sparling?  (Read 7601 times)

Beau B

NW Surgeon Recommendations: Boyd, Pritchett, Sparling?
« on: March 06, 2012, 12:12:28 PM »
Hi All,
Seeking first hand hip Doc referral for NW, specifically Portland Area.

Due to age, 45 yrs, and high activity level I'm set on bone conserving hip resurfacing. Additionally, will be needing both hips done, although not at the same time.   

Dr Sparling/Rebound/Portland: approx. 600 ops

Dr Boyd/Hope Ortho/Salem: approx. 900 ops

Dr Pritchett/Seattle: 1000+

Haven't seen any info regarding Sparling, on this site, in 4 yrs. Seems like he's the "newest school".

Hardly any discussion regarding Dr Boyd in Salem. Seems like a very viable candidate with much experience.

Seems like Dr Pritchett/Seattle would be first choice, if travel no obstacle.

Thanks for any current feedback on all. Need to fastrack decision in order to change insurance providers during open enrollment period of Mar/April.

Note: currently with Kaiser Permanente and on 4-6 mos wait list for THR. In NW area, only Dr Goldsmith offers hip resurfacing within Kaiser network. Will be getting 4th opinion with him, however, sounds as if he has minimal resurfacing experience. 

Finally, thanks Pat for an amazing and powerful website/tool for all current/future "Surface Hippies"!  Beau

Luanna

Re: NW Surgeon Recommendations: Boyd, Pritchett, Sparling?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 02:30:42 PM »
I can recommend Dr. Pritchett. The other Luann (no a on the end of her name) on this site used Dr. Sparling. You might want to send her a private message to see what she thinks. I'm not sure how often she checks this site.

Also, DGossack and Tin Soldier used Dr. Pritchett and they are both from Oregon. Not sure what type of insurance they have.

I recently referred Barbara2 (new to this site) to Dr. Pritchett and she flew up yesterday from San Francisco and is in the prep and waiting room at this very moment just about to go into the operating room. I think he is an outstanding surgeon even if a bit sparse verbally at times. I'll be going back to him when it's time to have the other hip resurfaced.

Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 06:07:28 PM »
Welcome, Beau. I'll leave the referral in Luanna's capable hands.

Several of us here have had our hips resurfaced with a timed interval, some at the same time or with a quick (1 week or less) interval, and did well, although it is harder. I spaced it out by three months, and that seemed a good compromise for me - others have waited longer. It depends on each person.

I did schedule both at once, just to make sure I was set in scheduling, etc. so that I could plan work, recuperation, etc.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Baby Barista

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 07:54:52 PM »
I'm six weeks post op with Dr. Pritchett. He is far and away the most experienced of all the doctors in the Northwest. He is approaching 3000 resurfacings. The Swedish Orthopedic Institute is top notch as well. Dr. Pritchett is straightforward, realistic and will not blow smoke. Some people don't like that. They'd prefer someone who is warm and cuddly. I just wanted my BHR to work. If that's what you want, Pritchett is your man.
LBHR Pritchett 01/23/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup
RBHR Pritchett 12/10/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 09:27:07 PM »
Welcome Beau

As Luanna said I am from Oregon, Salem specifically.  I went to Dr. Pritchett for two reasons.  He is the most experienced in the Northwest and I liked his professorial demeanor.  Both doctors were covered by my insurance fortunately.

I am sure Dr. Boyd is very capable.  One of my dive buddies is a surgical nurse and says Boyd hs tremendous attention to detail.  I have just know other people that have worked around him.  I'll leave it at that.

I can highly recommend Dr. Pritchett and the Swedish Hospital orthopedic wing is second to none.

I would be happy to answer any other questions.  Just send me a PM.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Beau B

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 01:30:48 AM »
Thanks for the replies: Luanna, Hernanu, Baby Barista and DGossack! Points taken and well rec'd regarding Dr Pritchett's prowess.

Luanna I did pm Luann regarding Dr Sparling...also, read her post-op account of his dismissal of her leg length concerns. Additionally, I'm not keen on the pre-op waiver that you might end up with a THR if things get dicey with Dr Sparling.

Hernanu, good advice on scheduling both ops at the same time...hadn't even thought of that yet.

Yeah, Baby Barista, I like my surgery: straight - no chaser and no BS!

DGossack I sent you a pm for clarification on Dr Boyd. Still amazed there is hardly any mention of him on this board.

Presently, I'm just navigating the insurance labyrinth to confirm coverage, costs and providers to ensure no financial suprises post-op.

Will update as things develop! 

luann again

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 09:19:20 PM »
Hey Beau B!
  It's the "old" Luann re-registered with "Luann again" as I am not computer savy and my email changed, I also forgot my password so when I tried to change it, I had no way to retreive it!!! ( I knew I should have had kids!) I do not think I got your pm (wrong email? ) sorry.
   I am doing absolutely fabulous with my Dr. Sparling HR. I am also 45 and super active. I really feel, apart from being a long distance marathon runner (which I most likely couldn't have acheived at ANY time in my life!  ;) ) that at this point, 1 yr 10months preop, I can do anything I want. I ride and train horses in quite rowdy events and last year won a championship! Anyway, you are correct about your assesment that Dr. Sparling is not a "warm and fuzzy" personality. He was recommened to me as an excellent surgeon, and that is what I really valued. My leg length difference is really my only complaint. I have gotten used to it, and barely notice it now. However, it is kind of funny because that is exactly what he told me would happen (in his not so "warm and fuzzy way") It only bothers me when I stand for long periods, so I make sure I wear my shoes with a lift when I anticipate this. This aside, it is important to go to the most experienced, and that would be Dr Prichett. My husband's attitude of "it is crazy to go all that distance when there is a HR DR right here in the Vancouver area" is what ultimately made me decide that Prichett was not an option for me.  Good Luck, it wouldn't hurt to get all the opinions you can, from all the close HR Dr's. I got 5 before I decided (I'll admit, though, they were not all HR Dr's)   Lu
Dr. Sparling WA Wright C+ 2010 right hip, petite female done at age 45

bgibby1

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 05:34:58 PM »
Hi Beau,

I am almost 10 years out from resurfacing with Dr. Boyd (10/10/02).  I was 40 at the time and patient number 100 of his for MOM- I am very active and have not had the smallest issue with my hip replacement.

Dr. Boyd and all his staff were outstanding and still are.  I am part of the trial study for the Conserve Plus and have been to his office every couple of years for checkups.  He is in a new facility now, but still remembers me and my wife and is a kind and considerate man as well as an excellent surgeon.

2 people I know locally also had hip problems and I referred them to Dr. Boyd- both ended up with resurfacing and are very satisfied.

Brian
Bandon, OR
Golfing to a 2.3 handicap with a metal hip

Beau B

Update - NW Surgeon Recommendations: Boyd, Pritchett, Sparling?
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 02:43:21 PM »
Hi All,
Just a quick update from Portland, OR.

I have been to the promised land, of Seattle, to see Dr Pritchett! He and his staff radiate confidence, professionalism and knowledge.  That said, I am scheduled for left hip resurfacing, with him, in early July.

He quickly answered my primary question - if I was a candidate for metal/metal resurfacing due to my smaller frame size:
5'8" and 145lbs. The answer: No, I'm not. I'm probably a 46mm or 48mm sized femoral head...50mm+ heads showing the best outcome with metal/metal.

So what next? "Plan B" resurfacing with the BHR femoral component and a Corin/Stryker acetabular PE plastic lined cup...fair enough.

If anyone has any metal/PE resurfacing info - I'd enjoy hearing it. Obviously, wear rate and lifespan are of main interest.

Regarding duration remaining on my mostly shredded right hip, the sage Doc stated something like "You will know when it is time." And although the answer is so undefined by western standards - he's absolutely right (and I don't have to catch a fly with chopsticks!).   

Additional Note regarding Dr Boyd in Salem: As of early April 2012, Dr Boyd was no longer doing hip resurfacing at Salem Hospital. He was available for consultation and then referring all hip replacement candidates to Dr Sparling in Vancouver, WA. Front office staff stated that Dr Boyd was attempting to counter the hospital directive and reinstate resurfacing at some point in the future.  First hand confirmation should be attained, if anyone is considering Dr Boyd, as I've had to move on.

Finally, I'll state again what a great resource this website is! I continue to find new and compelling information at every step of the process! Thanks, Pat!

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 03:47:44 PM »
Beau -

Thanks of the update.  You will really like Dr. P and Swedish Hospital.

I have heard Salem Hospital is really pushing doctors out unless they become affiliated with the hospital.  Yesterday they announced they may be closing their pediatric wing.  They are really pushing the limit of their non-profit mission in my opinion.

It seems like the government, insurance companies, and hospitals are racing to the bottom.  I think they all realize that the system we have had isn't working.  So instead of trying to fix this system they will take what they can until the whole thing gets blown up and replaced with something else.  Frustrating.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Tin Soldier

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 04:19:00 PM »
Hey guys sorry I missed on this thread earlier on.  Beau - you'll be happy with Dr. P.  That's funny about the "you will know" Yoda comment.  It's like he's a Jedi master.

Interesting about Boyd.  I went to him for a consultation and I really liked him and his staff.  They spent all the time I needed for questions and Boyd was even referencing papers that I should read up on almost as if I were a colleague.  You don't hear that from an ortho surgeon, let alone any surgeon, too often.  That's too bad about Salem Hospital shutting him down, he's a great resource for HR.  My coworker had an HR from him a number of years ago and he's totally happy, and my neighbor got an HR about a year and half ago from him and she was happy with him. 

LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat