+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Slow / Bad start to running  (Read 8576 times)

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
Slow / Bad start to running
« on: July 05, 2012, 02:44:14 PM »
Probably a broken record post, but here goes:

I'm at 6 months (okay, 1 week early), so I decided to give running a try.  I started on trails to minimize impact.  Additionally, I have had no pain at all when walking, hiking, stair climbing or exercise biking

I ran about 100 somewhat strange yards, then felt like I was getting a little sore, so I walked.  It was a soreness in the groin area, but it did not feel like the old bone/bone pain, but seemed to be more identifiable as muscle/tendon soreness.  I did the run-walk thing for about 2 miles, probably with more walk than run.  At that point I walked the remainder of the trail, about 2 more miles.  I felt a bit disappointed, like I should have had more pain-free running.

So I waited 2 days, and tried again.  I probably only had 3 run intervals until my pain told me to stop.  The pain went away quickly, but immediately after that third interval I was limping for about 100 yards.  I was VERY disappointed after this, thinking that the first run, followed by a 2 day recovery, should have bolstered those muscles enough to do better. 

Anyway, I'm going to lay off running for at least 2 weeks.  I've read a few posts on this, and it seems like there is a large range in return-to-running experiences. 

I feel like I've been patient so far, but my patience is waning.  Any words of encouragement would be welcome.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

MaryEllen

Re: Slow / Bad start to running
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 03:04:38 PM »
Don't give up!! Stay the course!! Take it slow and easy! (those are my words of encouragement.) :)  Now... here's what I really want to say: I hear you!! I am 8 months post op, and though I can run further/longer, I'm very unhappy with my progress. At 7 months I had another hip xray just to make sure I didn't do anything horrible to my BHR. My surgeon said everything looks good and that it's probably tendonitis of the hip flexor, and possibly an inflamed psoas. So... I stretch like a madman (woman), ice, and keep trying to run. I have found that the Galloway method of run/walk/run works the best for me and can do 7 miles with no pain. However, if I run straight with no walk breaks, I can only eke out 3 miles, and then I'm in horrible pain, with pain for 2 days following. I will keep trying the stretch/ice thing for another month before I seek out assistance from a PT.
I hope this helps in some way!
MaryEllen
LBHR 11/2/11
RBHR 12/12/12
Dr. Palmer Stillwater, MN

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 08:51:09 PM »
The Broken Record will say it again and again - surgeon's don't suggest you begin high impact sports as running until you heal.  It takes a full year to heal.  If you feel you are going to start at 6 months, then don't complain when you need a revision down the road.  You can't make your body heal via mind control. 

Most surgeons will suggest you just don't run period - but they know many patients will.  I sure would talk to my surgeon before I did any serious running every day.  Of course, I am older, but each and every person with a new hip resurfacing has been given a second lease on life.  The new equipment is great, but it is not God Given. How can anyone think a man made metal hip is going to be better than your God Give hip?  If you already wore out the original hip, why not be conservative and give the new one the best chance of healing before you decide you just gotta run.

That's just info from an older person that has read thousands of personal stories.  There are stories even on this site from people that ran and then had revisions.  They suggested to others to be conservative and just don't do a lot of running, they wish they hadn't.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

John C

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 01:44:10 AM »
Hi Andy,
As okayed by Dr Gross, I started very light trail running at six months; alternating short uphill running sections with walking on the flats or downhill portions in order to minimize impact and stride length. It felt good, but definitely early in the healing process. At one year, I started running around the tennis courts with some caution, and at two years running around the courts without thinking about it. I never got back into distance running, just because I have too many other sports that are priorities for me. My own experience was that six months was good for daily living, rehab and starting up   light sports; one year was starting to feel good for athletics; and two years was noticeably better.
I remember that Dr Gross gives us permission to get back to the things we love at six months, but I think his key words are to "start back gradually", building to full return at one year. Just like you gave yourself time to get back to daily living during the first couple of months, now is the time to use that same patience in getting back into your chosen sports over the remaining portion of the first year.
It is a long process, so bolster up that patience one more time, and I expect that it will keep getting better.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

bilateralbliss

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 04:37:48 AM »
Pat...Thank you so much for your reply, really cheered me up, made so much sense too. Though I have been told no running til a year ( which doesn`t really bother me) I have become discouraged at 7 months, probaby to expecting too much too soon which your words have made me realise. At least I can walk now. We sometimes forget we would have all been cripples if this hadn`t been invented so let`s be thankful
Bilateral BHR Dr McMinn 6Dec2011
Birmingham

hernanu

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 09:03:24 AM »
Having never been a runner, only doing it in the pursuit of other things, I don't have the hunger to run on a daily basis. I do, however have that hunger for martial arts and other things and have empathy for anyone returning to their passions.

I do believe that I needed to temper that with caution, given the stakes at hand. The statistics, the doctors all point to healing not being fully completed until two years. The direction I was given by my surgeon, who has pretty aggressive recovery protocols, is that I wasn't to do any contact sports until one year had passed. He was leery of running until the year had passed, but definitely no martial arts, soccer, etc.

The way I've heard it, the bone needs that time to grow into the prosthesis. I believe most of us have uncemented cups and cemented femoral components, so the annealing that has to happen is unaided bone to the cup and its interstices, bone to glue or in the case of some, straight to the device again. Nutrition might help in the process, but the time table of that healing is not affected by anything we can do. We can help by protecting the process.

I spent long years working out at my different sports. Each of them demanded a lot of effort and I became adept at pushing through pain, based on the idea that improvement only came with overcoming the body's responses, no pain, no gain. I surged through broken ribs (three) dislocated hands and shoulder, broken toes, hamstring pulls and one truly epic shin injury that turned my entire lower leg black; a long and labored list. I don't regret a single one of those, things happen in the course of being active. I have been very aggressive with my body - coupled with my high tolerance for pain (a trait my regular doctor laments), does not lend itself to being patient.

I can understand that for many of us this patience is the most difficult tactic of all that we use in recuperating. We are, though confronted with a simple fact: bone grows at its own pace and even the hardiest of us can't change its nature. Take the long years of your OA suffering, the hejira of the surgery and recovery and the brightness of what you can do in just a comparatively small space of time and patience in that context seems to be your best friend.

If your body feels pain, it is telling you to ease off. In the case of a fully recovered, healthy hippy, I would still take its advice and modulate your activities. I've had my setbacks and recovered, but only because I listened to my body; I still do.

I got back to walking / running on a treadmill at 10 months or so after my second, but it really was mostly walking, mixed in with a minute or so of running. I found it difficult, but not painful before or after. Combining it with any weight lifting with legs did cause be a couple of setbacks so I backed off. So the running / walking was done in fits and starts for the next two months. Again, never been a runner, but did want to at least get functional with it. Soccer looked likely in the spring, and I wanted some comfort with running. I intensified it after a year, but still did walk/run/walk and to tell you the truth, I'll stay with that.

I got a full hour of soccer running in, but not until 16 months on my last hip and 19 on the first. The same with martial arts, didn't get back to punching back workouts until about 11 months and just now started kicking the heavy bag at almost two years. The motion is there, the supporting muscles are weak, but no pain during or after.

This long post is to reinforce what both Pat and John have said, as applied to my recovery. Patience doesn't only apply in the beginning, but is both most difficult and most needed when we feel better and are happy and excited. Keep the true time table in mind and you'll be well served.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 03:55:08 PM »
Good post hern. I think I might possibly been overdooing it of late. Ive not done any impact (other than 2x1min skipping) but I've been doing some light squats and dead lifts (like 20kg max) bug I think I'll cool it again and just stick to the bike and xtrainer
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 08:56:23 PM »
Imgetinold, I have to ask, how much have you prepared for this.  How much PT, weight work, cycling, swimming, aqua jogging have you done.  If you've only been walking, running might be a complete shock to your muscles, ligaments and tendons.  100yds might be too much.  When you first walked after surgery, you probably started with 10 to 20 steps.  I think you could be asking for too much for your first couple of runs.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

rbt2011

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 08:44:43 AM »
Great post Hernanu!

Perfect to help put recovery in perspective.  Thanks
Right side BHR 11/29/2011

bilateralbliss

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 01:00:37 AM »
Thanks Hernanu- really cheered me up again :)
Bilateral BHR Dr McMinn 6Dec2011
Birmingham

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 11:35:51 AM »
Thanks for the thoughtful and detailed responses.

Pat, I did get the O.K. from Dr. Gross to begin running, albeit gradually.  If he had said "No running at all for a year", then I would have absolutely followed that.  I might anyway, as I don't want to jeopardize anything.  I have been walking swimming, and exercise cycling regularly since 6 weeks, and do my PT exercises many times per week, if not every day.  Running isn't a "passion" of mine, but rather a part of an overall active lifestyle.  I like to run maybe 3x per week, 3-4 miles.  That's it.  I'm just tiring of the exercise bike, and I don't seem to burn the calories on it that I do running.

I guess it is good for me to hear about other's gradual return to their sports, some taking up to 2 years.

Thanks again, all.
Andy

BOILER UP!

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 03:13:51 PM »
One thing I did before my return to running was to use an elliptical trainer three times a week for three months.  Then I moved over to the treadmill to get started.  How about shelving the running for now and get on an elliptical for a while to simulate the running motion without impact.  Then give it another try.  It worked for me,  I've had a very easy return to running except that I've become very slow.  I plan on working on that soon after I build up more base.

Try the elliptical, it just might work.  Good Luck
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 03:54:18 PM »
That's a good idea.  I had stopped on the elliptical, as my PT said not to do that early in the rehab cycle.  Not sure why, something about the "pulling" motion on the hip socket, or some such thing.  Not sure how good he was.....very old-school.  Anyway, I will start that again and slowly work back into it.  Anything to break up the cycling.
Andy

BOILER UP!

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 04:49:58 PM »
Hmmm I was told the elliptical was very safe early on. How about doing some skipping to re introduce your body to impact?
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

David

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2012, 07:05:16 PM »
Elliptical is fine...much less impact than running.
Only try skipping once you have mastered the sashay, which of course requires the proper accessories...
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2012, 08:57:31 AM »
Pardon my ignorance whats a sashay?
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2012, 09:07:55 AM »
I believe a sashay is like a saunter, but not quite a promenade.

Also, I think to properly sashay, I need to have some kind of sparkly shoes, which I do not.
Andy

BOILER UP!

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2012, 09:28:37 AM »
Oh ok thanks for the clarification!
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

hernanu

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2012, 10:00:38 AM »
I believe a sashay is like a saunter, but not quite a promenade.

Also, I think to properly sashay, I need to have some kind of sparkly shoes, which I do not.

Hilarious...  ;D
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

hipnhop

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2012, 10:26:43 PM »
Trust me..Get some HOKA running shoes.
Big difference!!!

http://hokaoneone-na.com/
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal