+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bi-Lats - Did You Know Upfront That You Needed Both Hips Done?  (Read 2278 times)

stephen1254

When I first had x-rays done on my hips I thought I would need both done. Both had deteriorated but one was worse than the other. When I had that one done any issues in the other hip went away.

My wife said this weekend that she expects that I'll need to have the other one done, because the x-ray showed little cartilage and it wears a bit more everyday. That has raised a question in my mind - how much longer the other one will last? It shows wear but I'm 58 years old - everything shows wear.

So to all you bi-lats out there - were you experiencing problems with both hips before any operation? Or were your operations separated by a span of years?
RBHR Dr. Callander 3/27/12

double trouble

Re: Bi-Lats - Did You Know Upfront That You Needed Both Hips Done?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 04:59:56 PM »
Both my hips were bone-on bone, severe pain and disfunction.
Made the decision to have both sides done together.

sdunn4

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 06:29:43 PM »
Stephen- I am in the same situation as you- my left hip shows some wear but not much.  Now that I am at 9 mos. on the resurfaced right hip and I hardly think of it, I am wondering the same thing- when will the left one wear out?  So far, so good!

Steve
52 YO Rt Hip Biomet Dr. Gross, 10/24/11

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 09:07:29 PM »
Hi Stephen, I knew I had to have both done, all three surgeons that looked at it said that it was time. I had no cartilage on my left and almost none on my right. I scheduled my left first (8/24/2010) and the right three months later (11/29/2010).  So there was no choice, and I prepared mentally for both.

In a way, it was easier, since I just went to "I'm doing this" mode and didn't get out of it... well, I guess I'm still in it. I'm glad I had both done, but don't really know how I would have felt if I'd had any ambiguity about it. I still would have wanted it, I think, especially after the first turned out so well.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Dee Dee

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 11:31:40 PM »
I asked if I could be considered for simultaneous bi-lat at my preop but alas it was not in the schedule and dr Gross does not do simultaneous but he does the second one 2 days later. 

He said to wait and see how the new hip helps the unoperated one and give it time.

well at my 6 week check I asked again if I could be considered for the other hip.  He said it was not as bad as the right, and I could consider arthroscopic repair, but with dysplasia I would ultimately be at his door again.  My unoperated hip buckles at random times, is quite painful during my prescribed walks and has limited range of motion.  I told him considering how well the operated hip is doing,  I was ready now!  I am scheduled for Dec. when my schedule can handle the down time.

Right HR  5-23-12  Dr. Gross
Left HR 12-5-12 Dr. Gross

bilateralbliss

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 12:58:46 AM »
Hi Stephen,
Both mine were bone on bone, left being slightly worse. I begged Mr McMinn to do mine on the same day, get it over and done with! He had done four other simultaneous bilaterals that year, otherwise he did them two weeks apart. I didn`t regret it at all :) Was a blessed relief!!
Bilateral BHR Dr McMinn 6Dec2011
Birmingham

Jason0411

• Hotelier and Volunteer Lifeboat Crewman.
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 03:37:49 AM »
I know my left will need doing but originally McMinn said it could last 4 or 5 years. But after having to do zero weight on my right for three months and then reduced weight, my left has taken a beating it is twinging right now as I type this. Will find out tomorrow how much it has deteriorated when I go see the team at Edgbaston. As I am not walking too far at the moment I the symptoms are not too bad but it is always there reminding me. When I went for my RBHR it was bone on bone the left had a clear gap although a bit ragged round the edges. But my right went down hill rapidly, I am not sure about everyone else but  mine seems to get bad then worse then "OMG I can't take this anymore". I would rather not get to that point with my left.
RBHR Mr McMinn 6th December 2011.
Tripped and crushed head under cap 31st January 2012.
Self repairing.

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 05:27:18 AM »
Although my xrays showed the left side to be in better shape than the right, the pain was just as bad on both sides and both were deteriorating very quickly.  Dr Marwin suggested doing both at once and staying in the Rusk Rehab Hospital in NYC for an extra week.  Originally I didn't like this idea, I thought I wouldn't have a leg to stand on but after some discussion with Double Trouble, I realized that this was the way to go for me.  One rehab with people to take care of me when I needed them most.  Three PT sessions a day and whatever pain medication I would need.  It couldn't have worked out better. I walked out of there, nine days after surgery using only one cane.

The problem with bilateral surgery is that none of the other doctors have a program like this.  They treat you like a single side patient and send you home to suffer after two or three days.  I'm really grateful for the program they had for me and to DT for advising me to take advantage of it.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal